On the scrounge...Fender Hook

Quaysider

Featured Posts

Good morning ,

Forgive my blatant attempt to save money, but I was wondering if anyone had a spare one of these kicking around they might be willing to send me please?

I know they don't cost a lot in boating terms, but even at 6 quid each, that's another 36 quid I could save towards gin charity work... there's only 3 pay days left before expected delivery and whilst we have saved up the money to pay for the boat, the extras are going to sting us.

My plan is to cut and paint a few from left over bits of plywood I have in the garage.

I'll happily pay postage if anyone can be arsed.

Mark.

post-11731-0-90863200-1464931417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Quaysider

Just a tip. Put small soft felt pad on the inside as they can damage your paint when put under strain by say a passing fast bote.

These also snap really easily if the fender drags between boat and bank.

A friend has put a small section of bungee between the hook and rope to help stop this.

Ahhh talk about bad timing...we gave 4 of them away a couple of days ago to a boater we met on the towpath as we were mooring up.

Bought them for ours, but they didn't fit, so Dave will now make ours out of some spare decking boards he has on the roof.construction.gif

Ahhh talk about bad timing...we gave 4 of them away a couple of days ago to a boater we met on the towpath as we were mooring up.

Bought them for ours, but they didn't fit, so Dave will now make ours out of some spare decking boards he has on the roof.construction.gif

Huh, trust you to have decking. ?

Phil

I made mine from 25x5mm flat bar bent into a hook with a flat top with some cupboard door bumpers on the inside to protect the paint.

Nice and strong and - I think - look ok when painted.

Needs a big hammer, vice and a 10mm drill for the hole

Edited by Chewbacka

Huh, trust you to have decking.

Phil

LOL - Just a wee one, 6.5 x 7 foot - just big enough to use for coal storage in the winter and during the summer a couple of deck chairs and a small table - lovely for catching late afternoon sun and consuming some refreshing bevvies once we are moored up for the day if the sun is behind the boat or the tow path is ucky cheers.gif

I made mine from 25x5mm flat bar bent into a hook with a flat top with some cupboard door bumpers on the inside to protect the paint.

Nice and strong and - I think - look ok when painted.

Needs a big hammer, vice and a 10mm drill for the hole

Ditto, but I do not think it was as thick as 5mm. However mine are to fit a "water pipe" hand rail. I then put heat shrink on them and shrunk it to form the paint detection referred to above. As I needed a something like a 25mm diameter hook on the end I used heat.

I made half a dozen from some spare 18mm Marine Ply I had left over from a project, few minutes on the bandsaw, couple of coats of decent paint and they are perfick!

We don't tent to cruise with them down, I do have one ready at the back just to quickly drop a fender if needed - mainly on the Thames lock landings. Haven't had one break yet...

The felt pad idea is worth pursuing once we get re-painted in a few weeks - at the moment they couldn't make the paint any worse!!