Marbury Country Park moorings? & Anderton Lift Centre

FiFiW

Featured Posts

Hi quick question. Are there still decent moorings park side, day time for Marbury Country Park and also how interesting for kids is the Anderton lift bridge visitor centre for kids. We are 3hrs away from returning our boat and I thought we could do something interesting with our last day.

I only recently spotted the sign in the undergrowth at Marbury that says something like "day time mooring only".

I've never seen a boat that side, but there's no reason why you can't i guess, so long as you can get into the bank. No idea if there are rings in the undergrowth, but i think it's piling anyway.

It's hard to comment about the visitor centre without knowing the children. It's school holidays so there might be something extra layed on for the kids. If not, personally i think I'd have been bored after about half an hour if I'd have been taken there when i was young.

Upstairs there is a gift shop and cafe. Downstairs there is just a room with a few history boards and canal related artefacts. Outside there is a a small maze type thing, and the lift. Whilst the lift is a spectacular piece of engineering, personally i wouldn't have appreciated it as a child. There is also a trip boat for a ride up and down the lift. That is perhaps the only thing I'd have enjoyed.

Thanks Halsall we saw your very interesting boat on the Caldon a few times - we were two Black Prince Boats. As a kid I was always pestering my dad to stop at Marbury (he wasn't ever really keen setting off from only Anderton!) but haven't stopped there since 2008 and things have changed. I think I agree about lift, as I've been up and down it a few times before and since restoration, my dad was beside himself but to us it was just a bath of water much like a lock as kids. We are currently at flash 2 from middlewich kayaking so may just have a late late start instead.

I took the grandkids on the Edwin Clark and on the boat lift and on the river trip to Northwich and they found it boring mainly due to the constant commentary.

However, when I took them to the kids play centre and on the park later on in the year they thoroughly enjoyed it and it was free of charge.

They were 11, 9 and 7 years old at the time.

There are a few rings at Marbury Country Park near the bridge.

Steve