lost my chimney!

emlclcy

Featured Posts

was going down stream on the k&a just past ABC boat hire at aldermaston, the lock i was in is does not have much of a fall.

with just the port gate open, (my fire is situated on the port side near the bow) i was looking over the starboard side so as not to clout the gate then looked up to see the walkway on the lock gate very gracefully remove my chimney and deposit it in the lock. being stainless and i guess none magnetic stainless half hour with a sea search didn't recover it.

so note to oneself ALWAYS take down the chimney when navigating!

anyone got a spare??

I bought a new chimney back around Christmas. I put it on and left the old one on the roof next to it (being a responsible type and not wanting to throw it in the cut).

A few days later I got home and noticed the rusty old chimney was back on and my new one nowhere to be seen.

Disappointing to know it must have been another boater thieving...

I lost my titch pipe and my fancy exhaust cover this week. We passed under a very low bridge and I had placed them on the roof in anticipation. On top of centreline to stop rattling.

Got under bridge and decided to moor up.

Whipped up centreline which spilled them both into the cut.

Spent ages with magnet before realised both were stainless. Luckily I have an old

landing net and after loads of messing about fished them both out.

Guess what ....... A bit later whipped in the bluddy chimney cover AGAIN... This time I could not find it.

This was the day when had relentless rain so it was not funny!

Edited by mark99

There must be something about that short stretch of water!

We lost our chimney cover in exactly the same place last time we were there, it got swept off by a stout branch between the wharf and the lock.

I will get the dry suit out and recharge the air bottles, I could build myself a new boat with a bit of luck.

(that has just reminded me, on the same trip we were held up at the lock as there were divers down)

I bought a new chimney back around Christmas. I put it on and left the old one on the roof next to it (being a responsible type and not wanting to throw it in the cut).

A few days later I got home and noticed the rusty old chimney was back on and my new one nowhere to be seen.

Oh dear, that's rather sad. Some R Sole clearly thought their need was greater than yours. :(

Few years ago got good new expensive good at Tradline. Just two days later knocked it off near Leamington Spa. No problem, got the magnet out, magnet stuck firmly to canal bottom due to hugs amount of scrap metal in there, could not recover chimney.

Just got another new chimney from Tradline, will go very carefully through Leamington this year.

..................Dave

Well we lost one in Braunston marina along with the chinaman's cap, the second chimney on the GU going into the off side bushes as the hire boat coming towards us felt they needed to stay in the middle of the cut while we passed each other, the 3rd one is held on with a chain :)

Some lessons take a little time to properly learn icecream.gif

I've seen a few sheds and vans with boat stove type collars and chimneys so I would not assume for certain it was another boat user but probably was :(

I keep losing the "coolie hat" off mine.

The last one lasted about two days before it blew off in a gale in Gloucester Docks.

(And if you don't beleive it was windy, the gangplank blew off the roof of the boat next door to us).

I'm sure that a snigger goes round the office at Black Country Ironworks every time I buy one - "He's ordered another!"

I've now put a wire cable on it...

I've seen a few sheds and vans with boat stove type collars and chimneys so I would not assume for certain it was another boat user but probably was sad.png

It must have been a boater because the old chimney was put on rather than leaving a hole for the rain to get in - Boaters being considerate and caring people. Even if he was stealing the new one at the time. I hate people that steal from those in the same community.

Edited by Chewbacka

.....note to oneself ALWAYS take down the chimney when navigating!

Or ensure it is tied on!

We have a number-one bit of grotty string which has saved the day the odd few times.

Daniel

I pop rivet mine onto the chimberley...

I did that a few years ago and the area around the rivet holes rusted away very quickly.

You must have one of those fancy stainless steel ones then?

I did that a few years ago and the area around the rivet holes rusted away very quickly.

You must have one of those fancy stainless steel ones then?

I used to have...

:(

(The little chandlery at Aynho Woof sell the stainless ones for not much more than the cost of a plain steel one, by the way.)