Folding bikes - worth it?

RichM

Featured Posts

I made a similar thread before asking for suggestions for a folding bike but I didn't get one in the end because I question whether or not the smaller wheels would make it practical for navigating towpaths. Would be interested to know your thoughts. The bike attached is the sort of thing I was looking at.

link-d8-m0-unfold-blk-red.jpg

Edited by Armitage Shanks

I made a similar thread before asking for suggestions for a folding bike but I didn't get one in the end because I question whether or not the smaller wheels would make it practical for navigating towpaths. Would be interested to know your thoughts. The bike attached is the sort of thing I was looking at.

We used to have a couple of Dahon Curve folding bikes on board. Useful if the shops are a fair way away from your mooring and useful if you want to explore an area. They are a bit wobbly when you first set off on the towpath but you soon get used to them. I managed to record 12mph on a speed camera in a village whose name escapes me. Buy spare inner tubes and a good puncture repair kit, when the contractors cut hedges the towpaths are full of thorns. Shop around and you will get a good deal.

Everyone thinks cycling is a good idea - after the 1st week when they decide its not such a good idea the bikes go on Ebay.

Picked up two folding bikes (which had both done less than 2 miles) for £40 each.

Picked up a bike trailer for £35

Its not a huge investment and if you don't get on with them, sell them on and just loose a couple of pounds (let the 1st owners take the big hit on depreciation)

Buy a can of 'Finilec' (puncture repair foam) from most petrol stations, Halfords etc. Fill inner tubes and you'll never get another puncture.

A £10 can will do 4 small (16"-20") wheels.

I have actually done many 1000s of miles on motorcycles riding on 'Finilec' even tho' its supposed to be just a temporary repair.

I've used both.

The folding bike is fine a well surfaced towpaths you might find in / near towns e.g. for going to the shops etc.

For moving the boat and wanting to return to the car on countryside towpaths then a mountain bike is better.

Both need some form of puncture resistance.

• Greenie 1

I was uncertain at first about a folding bike, and so bought a cheap one to see how I got on with it.

Below is a link to the one I got and, for £149 new, I can honestly say I'm very pleased with it.

http://bicycles4u.com/products/monaco-explorer

They have a range at various prices and sizes.

I go to the shops on it most days, and I have bags front and back, so can load up with quite a bit, and have cycled along the Thames towpath from Weybridge to Hampton Court and it's a little bumpy in places, but fine. I thought the small (16") wheels would be a problem, but in reality they're not bad, and the bike folds up quite small.

If, like me, you haven't ridden a bike for a while then I'd also suggest, whatever you get, that you buy a big, comfortable saddle. I got one off Amazon called a "Big Bum", that's both padded and sprung, which has made a big difference to ride comfort.

Obviously a full size bike will be more comfortable, and usually faster, but then again it can't be easily stowed, and so it's swings and roundabouts.

• Greenie 2

I've used a Dahon folding mountain bike since I've been on the boat and have found it brilliant, but then I came to it from a bit of a cycling background. The bike I've got doesn't appear to be made any more (Dahon Zero G) but the closest I can find in their range is this one http://dahon.com/bikes/ios-d9-2/ My preference is for disc brakes since on a muddy towpath in the winter rim brakes don't stop you much. Added to that I have a trailer from here http://www.carryfreedom.com/ which has carried everything, coal, gas,water,Thetford cassettes sick.gif and even a couple of washing machinesrolleyes.gif . I've probably saved the cost of the bike in bus fares/taxi fares (and really, how many buses/taxis are going to let you on board with a full Thetford cassetteunsure.png ).

• Greenie 1

I was uncertain at first about a folding bike, and so bought a cheap one to see how I got on with it.

Below is a link to the one I got and, for £149 new, I can honestly say I'm very pleased with it.

http://bicycles4u.com/products/monaco-explorer

They have a range at various prices and sizes.

I go to the shops on it most days, and I have bags front and back, so can load up with quite a bit, and have cycled along the Thames towpath from Weybridge to Hampton Court and it's a little bumpy in places, but fine. I thought the small (16") wheels would be a problem, but in reality they're not bad, and the bike folds up quite small.

If, like me, you haven't ridden a bike for a while then I'd also suggest, whatever you get, that you buy a big, comfortable saddle. I got one off Amazon called a "Big Bum", that's both padded and sprung, which has made a big difference to ride comfort.

Obviously a full size bike will be more comfortable, and usually faster, but then again it can't be easily stowed, and so it's swings and roundabouts.

Looks like a lot of bike for the money. Pics of the Thames' towpath on google images suggest it's in good conditions throughout(?) Could this bike handle small muddy ruts on canal-sides?

Edited by Armitage Shanks

If you intend to ride then get a proper bike. These folding bikes are too much of a compromise and after going out on them a couple of times you'll stop because they are not that easy to ride.

Casp'

Problem I have is that I don't have anywhere to store a proper bike.

I have one (Brompton) but don't use it so often. It's uncomfortable compared with my previous (and vastly cheaper) mountain bike. In my case, I put this down to my own size. I'm a bit bulky and better suited to a regular bike. Take from that what you will.

As an addition to Casper's comment above a 'proper' bike will cost a 'proper' price. There is no such thing as a good cheap bike. If it is cheap in price you will get what you pay for. How do I know? bought a 'cheap' bike for one of the kids many years ago, it almost put him off cycling for life since I had to spend most of my time fixing it.

Looks like a lot of bike for the money. Pics of the Thames' towpath on google images suggest it's in good conditions throughout(?) Could this bike handle small muddy ruts on canal-sides?

The Thames path is in pretty good nick for the most part, so can't honestly say what it would it be like on a typical canal path as I'm not familiar with them.

We have 2 folding bikes both quite old and a bit heavy, but invaluable for getting to shops villages and for just exploring. Both have old type 3 speed hubs which makes handling and storing them more convenient than multi sprocket changers which are easily disturbed. Not so good for serious cycling though, where more modern bikes have advantages. Be ruled by how much space you have.

If you intend to ride then get a proper bike. These folding bikes are too much of a compromise and after going out on them a couple of times you'll stop because they are not that easy to ride.

Casp'

That's probably true but, if you need a bike you can stow on either a boat or in a car boot, then a degree of compromise is necessary.

If you're commuting 10 or 15 miles every day and have somewhere to keep it, then a proper bike makes sense but, for relatively short journeys, like nipping to the shops, then it's an acceptable compromise. I've had mine for about three months, and use it most days, and like the convenience of having it.

They can take a bit if getting used to, some more than others. I had one a couple of years ago that never felt stable, and so I did stop using it, but the one I've got now is fine and rides pretty well, so I guess it pays to try them out.

Problem I have is that I don't have anywhere to store a proper bike.

When I'm chugging about I take a Dawes touring bike. I chain it on the roof of the boat, plenty of space for it there. With a quick release front wheel it can easily fit in most small cars; I can put it into a Renault Clio, even a Ford Ka..

Casp'

Not denying that, if the storage space is available, a mountain bike would not be the preferred option for many towpaths, but small wheel folders are under-estimated. Two Bickerton’s fit neatly into my starboard stern locker [matching the portside gas locker] in total security for the rare occasions when wanted.

The problem with them is the way they were factory built and how they were used. Built as designed, and set up properly, they are astonishingly versatile. I have cycled mine for many months at a time around the world, clocking up something well over 10 thousand miles on it; on and off road across sandy deserts and snowy mountains; through jungles and cities, and accompanying me when folded on every other mode of transport imaginable.

Having said which, on some towpaths I would prefer to walk than ride any sort of cycle.

I have had lots of folding and non folding bikes.

My favourite has been the humble Raleigh Shopper. It is comfortable, tough, and available for peanuts secondhand. It fits across a narrow boat unfolded, or half of a narrow boat folded.

Mine makes me smile every time I get on it. Get some Kool Stop Salmon brake pads and it stops well enough.

Mine was 99p on eBay.

We have had a variety of cheap folding bikes for our boats over the last 13 years but have now bitten the bullet and bought the best, a Brompton. It's expensive for a reason. I ride a variety of bikes regularly and you are never going to get as good a ride as a full size non-folding bike but the Brompton is some way better than most cheaper folding bikes.

You mean Raleigh Chopper surely..

Casp'

Bless you, but no. The Chopper was a kids bike.

The Shopper was Raleigh's response to the very expensive Moulton. 20 x 1 3/8" wheels. Some models, like this one, were called the Raleigh Twenty, then there was the Stowaway which folds in the middle. Plus, of course, all the badge engineered ones from brands that were owned by Raleigh.

raleightwentyad.jpg?format=500w

Even today, I bet that saddle would be worth quite a bit of money.

These are great bikes, albeit not for very rutted roads. However on a good surface they're a more than a match for any touring bike if you need to carry heavy objects.

Edited by chris667
  • Greenie 1

Casp'

Speak for yourself. I've had my folding bike for years and use it all the time. Very Muddy towpaths can be tricky but still much better than walking. If you don't have space for a full sized bike, they are a great option.

Casp'

For some perhaps. I've always found mine easy enough to ride.

You may think your folding bike is easy to ride, until you get onto a touting bike instead. When I chugged about I would regularly cycle 20 miles or so, either to fetch my car or to pop home. Wouldn't want to do that on a folding bike, especially if it's hilly.

Casp,