Speeding past Moorings

peterboat

Featured Posts

The Sheffield and South Yorkshire doesnt have a lot of moorings we have long stretches of deep wide water.

So why does a boat [squirrel Away] have to go past the moorings flat out and close? His excuse was that I dont move? mmmm Out for a week last month, out again tomorrow with luck I will meet him {hope his pins are in good and deep]!

I am a big boat with springs and even then he managed to move me around the yogurt pots were bouncing around!

He didnt slow down and I wasnt the only one shouting at him about his poor boating strange world to say the least eh

Edited by peterboat

Lots of people go past my mooring rather fast, so I make sure my boat is well secured that means four ropes at 45 degrees to the bank. That way it doesn't matter and I can get on with enjoying being on the water and not worry about what speed people go past at.

Not that I'm excusing speeding but it happens so I've learned to live with it.

Top Cat

• Greenie 1

The Sheffield and South Yorkshire doesnt have a lot of moorings we have long stretches of deep wide water.

So why does a boat [squirrel Away] have to go past the moorings flat out and close? His excuse was that I dont move? mmmm Out for a week last month, out again tomorrow with luck I will meet him {hope his pins are in good and deep]!

I am a big boat with springs and even then he managed to move me around the yogurt pots were bouncing around!

He didnt slow down and I wasnt the only one shouting at him about his poor boating strange world to say the least eh

Some boaters do make rather challenging plans (must do a ring in a week) and if confronted by a long row of moored boats don't like to slow down - must keep to the plan. Not sure if that may have been his problem.

There's fast and bloody fast. To cause a big wake on the deep water of the Yorkshire waterways sufficient to bounce a big widebeam is stupidly, inconsiderately fast.

Anyone doing so should be castigated with a blunt castigator !!!!!

I wouldnt mind but we have Exol Pride go past 4 times a week it carries 500 tons of oil and doesnt move me at all!!

I have springs at both ends but he still moved me all over and I was tiling at the time not what you want is it?

Some boaters do make rather challenging plans (must do a ring in a week) and if confronted by a long row of moored boats don't like to slow down - must keep to the plan. Not sure if that may have been his problem.

No no ring around here and he has lots of big locks ahead of him so not going anywhere fast

must admit that is one reason why I wouldn't plan to do a ring.....unless I had a lot spare time and wasn't in a rush! Planning to do a certain ring in a restricted time is what makes people hurry (well one of the reasons) as the need to keep to a timetable to get the boat back.

Anyone doing so should be castigated with a blunt castigator !!!!!

....like between two house bricks slammed together....very very painful....ouch!.

....especially if your thumbs are in the way when doing it!

I've been off this week, so on board on the deep and wide Bridgewater for a few days. I gave up complaining about speeding boaters a long time ago, but I've been severely rocked about several times this week. I'm well secured and fendered, so no big deal, and I generally believe that "what goes around, comes around", such that they will get some kind of minor come uppance at some point.

Make your mind up. If you are going to come past dead close to peer in the windows, then go slow so that you can take in the view. If you're not sight-seeing then at least use the middle of the channel for your attempts to get up on the plane.

(addressed to numerous bodies travelling around the network but nobody in particular)

Edited by system 4-50

must admit that is one reason why I wouldn't plan to do a ring.....unless I had a lot spare time and wasn't in a rush! Planning to do a certain ring in a restricted time is what makes people hurry (well one of the reasons) as the need to keep to a timetable to get the boat back.

We hired boats in the old days and to get value for money we set a demanding route and timetable. Not by going 'fast' but by avoiding self imposed delays, by early starts and by late stops where necessary - whilst at the same time allowing for a change of route/destination in case something cropped up that was more interesting - but never going fast.

Today, with our own boat, we have no planned route and all day to get there - but that does not mean we are happy to crawl along behind a dawdler who has an even slower timetable.

• Greenie 2

The only reason I am really complaining is that I am tiling I a using a diamond cutter that would have off a finger as soon as look at it! I didnt hear him for the noise of it so the first I knew is when I bounced over hard.

We hired boats in the old days and to get value for money we set a demanding route and timetable. Not by going 'fast' but by avoiding self imposed delays, by early starts and by late stops where necessary - whilst at the same time allowing for a change of route/destination in case something cropped up that was more interesting - but never going fast.

Today, with our own boat, we have no planned route and all day to get there - but that does not mean we are happy to crawl along behind a dawdler who has an even slower timetable.

I agree, nothing worse then being stuck behind a dawdler! Our boat is a little deep and a little underpowered soften get caught up by others. Try and let them past when safe to do so as know what's its like being stuck behind someone! We try and move efficiently to make best use of our limited time on the water.

When I hired we did long days and I got shouted at for speeding passed moored boats. Like many boaters I had knocked the revs back, but also like many boaters I didn't appreciate in those days what little difference dropping back by half throttle made to my speed.

I wouldnt mind but we have Exol Pride go past 4 times a week it carries 500 tons of oil and doesnt move me at all!!

I have springs at both ends but he still moved me all over and I was tiling at the time not what you want is it?

No no ring around here and he has lots of big locks ahead of him so not going anywhere fast

Whenever I do a ring I factor in a days contingency per week in case of unforeseen delays.