National wick feed oilers on rocker cover

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I need to replace the 8 wick fed oilers on the rocker covers. There not there on my engine i have been adding oil every hour to make sure the rockers are oiled.

Ive looked on the rn group site but they dont show them they have a sealed cover with no oil wells. Is it as simple as i think it is and just get worset wool and some semi strong but flexable copper wire and twist the 2 together and place one end down the hole and one in the oil well or would it be better to get 8 small steam type oil drip cups fitted?

• 3 months later...

Old rocker covers in by bits box have wicks that look like braided string, the current ones in Battersea have a strong resemblance to candle wicks available from hobby shops, I top up about twice in a long day.

Bob.

Old rocker covers in by bits box have wicks that look like braided string, the current ones in Battersea have a strong resemblance to candle wicks available from hobby shops, I top up about twice in a long day.

Bob.

Not sure if this refers to my bits box or yours? Im guessing as i dont have any spare rocker covers????

Anyways i have made a set but in about 1-2 hours have used all the oil (now have oil to clear up down the heads) anyways i just need to reduce the number of strings to slow it down but thanks for the info as this gives me an idea of how long should last.

Im so confused by my engine as its a national thats clearly been modified when rebuilt or at some point as it had no oil wicks in but it the has oil feeds to the heads on the sides where the rocker shaft is.

I half guess its got oil feeds now inyo the rocker shafts but not 100% hence why i wanted to put the wicks in other nationals dont seam to have these oil feeds on.

Try mbswallow.co.uk/engine-national-2dm, the site has a copy of a national information book, page 20 has the bit about the oil feed you refer to although it only feeds the guide not the rockers unlike the later RNs

I understand that the G U canal Co removed the feed as the boatmen allegedly turned the feed up believing more oil has to be better, however it resulted in sticking valves. I think it possible that they swapped onto cast iron guides which are more tolerant of low oil levels.

where about's on the system are you?

Bob

Currently at the grove lock pub on gu heading towards maffers slowly.

Yes i beleive my head has had the rn springs put in but as said on the head most nationals dont have oil feeds to the top sides where the rockers are but mine dose im on boat later so going to take pics and post on here as i have a few other issues to add pics in another post.