Fatal Fall From Pontcysyllte aqueduct

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Been there, worn the t-shirt, all because of the crap way I was being dealt with by an uncaring employer.

It isn't nice.

The light came back on when they finally dismissed me.

Have a green thing.

cheers.

Curious point in that you assume that they are mentally ill. Having 'detained' someone who was trying to jump off the overbridge in Kingskerswell a number of years ago we took him to the local mental assessment unit. A member of staff there began the assessment by asking me why I thought that the person may have been suffering from mental illness, just having stopped him jumping off a bridge wasn't good enoughunsure.png .

Why people get into a suicidal frame of mind I have always had difficulty in understanding. I helped recover a young woman's body from the train line at Starcross also a number of years ago. She was in a happy relationship, had a house, job, pets the only fly in the ointment was that she suffered from acne. The treatment for acne was a drug called Roaccutane, one of the side effects of this drug were suicidal thoughts. It was this drug that the young woman was taking and her partner was convinced that the drug was the cause of her death. The drug companies at the time denied that there was a cause/effect relationship, the drug has now been withdrawn, draw your own conclusions. So here we had a drug that will cause otherwise rational people to become suicidal, it could therefore happen to anyone.

Roaccutane had been withdrawn in some countries (e.g. USA) but not the UK. There have been links to suicidal behaviour -- apart from the ones prompted by severe acne in the first place -- but on the other side there isn't any alternative that's as effective against some cases of acne. My daughter had very bad acne for years which made her depressed and reluctant to go out, none of the treatments really helped until she was prescribed Roaccutane as a "last resort" -- along with warnings about side effects, physical as well as mental. The acne cleared up and she's now happy to be seen in public again.

Not saying the drug doesn't have side-effects which may be severe in some cases, but like anything else there are two sides to the argument -- it's also very effective at curing what can be a massive problem for some people.

Unfortunately some anti depressants have had a paradoxical effect in the past, including causing suicidal and homicidal thoughts. This is evidenced by several court cases where individuals placed on anti depressants have committed homicide. I have been involved with assessing several individuals in both the uk and Australia where this tragedy has occurred. It is sad that gps and mental health professionals do their best and end up with such an awful outcome.

On engage with any group, random , professional , mental health practioners, people at random off the street, and once you have engaged their trust ask if they have ever had suicidal thoughts you would be amazed at the response. You may have to prob e. Eg when such and such died did you wish you were with them . I have rarely had a response less than 75 % of an audience.

It's hard wired lurking to pounce when we are at our most vulnerable regardless of whether we have a formal mental illness

Sorry on engagement with any group ....old eyesight and an auto correct

Just had a phone call from our best friends who live near there and it was their grandson who sadly fell to his death on his way home from work.

Our thoughts go out to all Kris's family and friends at this sad time

devastating for all. so sorry. such a waste of a life.

Just had a phone call from our best friends who live near there and it was their grandson who sadly fell to his death on his way home from work.

That's terrible

Richard

That's terrible

Richard

Not much I can add to Richard's comment - it's terrible

Also it's a reminder when we discuss these things that real people are involved, several devastated families

Jayseaess - you're best friends are going to need a lot of love and understanding for a very long time, please be strong for them

• Greenie 2

A few years ago I was prescribed topomax, ( topiramate) it's an anticonvulsant but also prescribed for migraines which I was struggling with, within a few days I felt dreadful, crying & miserable for no good reason (I have never suffered from depression) also quite confused, spoke to GP & I came off them, I was back to normal within a few days

This is from the contraindications,

"Suicidal ideation and behaviour have been reported in patients treated with anti-epileptic agents in several indications. A meta-analysis of randomised placebo-controlled trials of AEDs has shown a small increased risk of suicidal ideation and behaviour. The mechanism of this risk is not known and the available data do not exclude the possibility of an increased risk for topiramate"

Topamax is also used in the treatment of certain mental health disorders, strangely enough depression and bipolar disorder are included in that list. I took it for a while in conjunction with others and it does have a weird effect to it but its not alone. I was one of the unfortunates who was on Seroxat and suffered a side effect that led to it being 'exposed' on the BBC. For a drug specifically aimed at depression it affects mood negatively I was suicidal and even worse, in my mind, it made me violent with no control over my temper. Events were so bad my Mental health notes have it written in very large letters across the cover that I am never to be prescribed it again.

Drug companies claim many things about their medicines and downplay many others, most of the meds I take cause massive weight gain usually through the activity depressant nature of them but also because they affect the hunger control sections of the brain, something the companies and drs refuse to acknowledge but that those of us who take them know about through talking with each other.

I fight the urge to take my own life on an almost daily basis, its really hard to admit and to explain because to all intents and purposes people who see me have no idea what 50% of my thought process involves killing myself and admitting it in such cold terms means people think you are exaggerating. Even on what I consider to be a good day the thought and the planning is there, ready to grab hold of my attention and convince me that it is the only way. I deal with it by distraction, canals and boats and the histories thereof are my main thing as you might be aware but at times it is only the thought of what my death would do to my wife and kids that stop me.

Sorry.

• Greenie 4

Topamax is also used in the treatment of certain mental health disorders, strangely enough depression and bipolar disorder are included in that list. I took it for a while in conjunction with others and it does have a weird effect to it but its not alone. I was one of the unfortunates who was on Seroxat and suffered a side effect that led to it being 'exposed' on the BBC. For a drug specifically aimed at depression it affects mood negatively I was suicidal and even worse, in my mind, it made me violent with no control over my temper. Events were so bad my Mental health notes have it written in very large letters across the cover that I am never to be prescribed it again.

Drug companies claim many things about their medicines and downplay many others, most of the meds I take cause massive weight gain usually through the activity depressant nature of them but also because they affect the hunger control sections of the brain, something the companies and drs refuse to acknowledge but that those of us who take them know about through talking with each other.

I fight the urge to take my own life on an almost daily basis, its really hard to admit and to explain because to all intents and purposes people who see me have no idea what 50% of my thought process involves killing myself and admitting it in such cold terms means people think you are exaggerating. Even on what I consider to be a good day the thought and the planning is there, ready to grab hold of my attention and convince me that it is the only way. I deal with it by distraction, canals and boats and the histories thereof are my main thing as you might be aware but at times it is only the thought of what my death would do to my wife and kids that stop me.

Sorry.

Nothing to apologise for as far as I'm concerned. Thank you for sharing that. As people like Stephen Fry have shown, the more that suicide can be discussed, the more supported sufferers feel and in turn feel able to talk about it.

Puts my situation into context! I see that the Samaritans now have a free to call number that doesn't even appear on your phone bill: 116 123, free from any phone in the UK or Eire.

Sorry.

No need to be sorry. Your post shows it is best not to assume something about someone else based on your own state of mind. You don't lose a limb, all of your hair or develop a limp with mental health issues, so externally there's nothing to show

You seem to have found a way of living with your thoughts

Richard

• Greenie 1

Sorry.

Thanks for sharing that. I am very lucky to have no mental health issues (for the time being!) but I knew 2 young men who killed themselves in a cold and calculated way for no obvious reason (neither seemed at all depressed, had good careers etc). My bipolar next door neighbour was saved from a drug overdose only because I had a front door key to let the police in when she apparently went missing (in fact she was in the house) with her husband away on business.

Anyway my point is that we seem to continue to treat mental illness with much less concern and resources than if it were physical illness and that is wrong. Airing people's personal experiences as you have done, raises awareness and hopefully encourages the "powers that be" to take it more seriously. Well done for speaking out.

• Greenie 2

Nothing to apologise for as far as I'm concerned. Thank you for sharing that. As people like Stephen Fry have shown, the more that suicide can be discussed, the more supported sufferers feel and in turn feel able to talk about it.

Puts my situation into context! I see that the Samaritans now have a free to call number that doesn't even appear on your phone bill: 116 123, free from any phone in the UK or Eire.

Bruce I don't know that it puts anyone else's situation into a context, one of the things I became more aware of running a support group for people with similar problems is everyone's experience is unique and each person suffers just as much in their own way.

No need to be sorry. Your post shows it is best not to assume something about someone else based on your own state of mind. You don't lose a limb, all of your hair or develop a limp with mental health issues, so externally there's nothing to show

You seem to have found a way of living with your thoughts

Richard

Thats so true Richard, because you cant see someones mental state it is all too easy to judge people on what we can see. The stigma surrounding MI, while improving, means anyone with MI issues is always aware on some level how others will be assessing them using societies 'norms'. I have friends who took to wearing slings or even a bandage so that people had a physical representation of illness to focus on and make them not being well more acceptable.

Sorry.

That is well written. Probably what I would describe as rather private information but I understand and recognise a lot of it :)

Sorry.

Having written what I wrote earlier, and having read this post, its made me realise that I also plan daily, think of effects on others, and realise that I'm a bit of a coward really. Would I actually 'do it'. At one stage as mentioned I think I would have done. Not now though, I don't think.

I consider my life in chapters. The most recent closed when I actually achieved a long term aim to cruise through Chorley where we used to play when children. We are coming to the end of the L&L, where we go next is a mystery. But I'm sure I'll get another aim as an objective.

This is probably gobble de gook. But it's the best I can do.

Loads of jobs to do on Nightwatch, I'll get a round tuit. One day!

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch