Bascote staircase lock

billS

Featured Posts

How long are the chambers at Bascote, I know Calcutt top is supposed to be the longest, but aren't they all 80ft or so?

Can't remember but I think they are big, will be going thru day after tomorrow, hopefully will find another boat to cross with.

...............Dave

How long are the chambers at Bascote, I know Calcutt top is supposed to be the longest, but aren't they all 80ft or so?

Maximum craft dimensions that BW published in the past suggested that the absolute maximum length Brentford to Braunston is 76 feet, but this rises to 78 feet from Braunston to the top of Camp Hill.

Certainly all broad GU locks are significantly longer than needed for the longest working boats, (circa 72 feet).

The Bunbury shuffle is always fun smile.png we do it quite a lot on our way from our home moorings to the Middlewich or the Shroppie. It is usually really windy for some reason which adds to the excitement ! On Monday we were in with a 60ft boat and we are 57ft,the boat coming the other way was quite long and we had no problems.

I wonder if you passed us? I do remember the look on one boaters face when he found another boat in front of him as the middle gates opened

Richard

Was August 1993, I remember the year because my father had forgotten to reserve himself a couple of weeks in his Spanish villa and had to come with us for his holiday that year!