Keel Black - Is it any good

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Having now used KB twice on the same boat.  I am happy to use it a third time.

However, from experience, I would not consider using it before summer, due to the drying time required.

Indeed it is very easy, and quick to apply, but the preperation must be done properly.  You would not put wallpaper on peeling walls, and expect it to stay up!

Through power wash, heavy scraping, removing all even vaguely loose old coatings.  KB recommend Fertan, which should be used as per instructions, all before any KB is applied.

In my experience, KB is best applied when the boat is on hard standing, with the best possible air flow around the hull.  I don't think this could happen in a dry dock situation, unless you had an open ended booking.  The drying time is the most important part of the job, being water based, KB will if only part dried, wash off when the boat is refloated.

Order KB to be delivered on site when the preparation is almost complete, it's best used when very fresh, the shelf life is not too long.

Bod

Had one of mine done in KB last summer, it still looks ok now.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys.

Thought this thread was worth resurrecting.

Seems like Keel Black (paint) is still a relatively little known product despite the early testimonials on this thread being very positive.

It's now 8 years since this product appeared. There are a couple of historic follow up reports (all good) and no horror stories what so ever.

Surely there are now a number of interesting (and hopefully positive) testimonials from boaters who have had this product in the water for 3 to 4 years (or more)

Hoping it's still a hit as my NB is coming out next year for re-blacking. The traditional bitumen (Ballistic) I used last time presented the usual challenges.

This is the website if you want to take a look. https://www.keelblack.co.uk/

Andy.

On 19/03/2020 at 22:36, Bod said:

Ours, was pulled out after 2 years, still in excellent condition, will be left for 3 years now.

Bod

You hauled it out and did not r coat, or did re coat?

2 hours ago, Telstar said:

Hi Guys.

Seems like Keel Black (paint) is still a relatively little known product despite the early testimonials on this thread being very positive.

It's now 8 years since this product appeared. There are a couple of historic follow up reports (all good) and no horror stories what so ever.

Surely there are now a number of interesting (and hopefully positive) testimonials from boaters who have had this product in the water for 3 to 4 years (or more)

Hoping it's still a hit as my NB is coming out next year for re-blacking. The traditional bitumen (Ballistic) I used last time presented the usual challenges.

Andy.

What usual challenges did the traditional bitumen present to you?

I’ve always found it quite easy to work with,  just power wash and scrape the old off and put on as many coats of the new as you want. But I’ve always put bitumen based on bitumen based products.

I’m hearing good recommendations for the Jotun stuff so may use their product next.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

My Keelblack is falling off my stove where it was applied just a bit. 

The hull is still looking fine except where its worn off from fender use, rubbing on pilings etc. 

No idea what it's like below the waterline other than to say the excessive weed growth that tends to appear this time of year, hasn't. But I'll look more closely next time I'm on the boat. 

3 hours ago, Telstar said:

Hi Guys.

Andy.

Every boat we have seen that has previously had Keelblack applied has had little if anything on the hull when it is pressure washed off.

Some have already gone back to metal and started pitting badly over large areas.

Nobody has ever asked us to specifically apply it, some have asked about it, and we have explained the negative experiences of previous Keeblack customers who have reverted to tried and tested coverings.

Lies , lack of testing, no knowledge of other recommemded product application requirements(fertan) and subterfuge were never a good business model

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

You hauled it out and did not r coat, or did re coat?

We came out in February last year, but because of microbial corrosion we had to grit blast and 2 pack, at Debdale.

After and before pressure washing photos.

Bod

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.5dcd0d698ee6dfeb91fd753fd94ffb92.JPGIMG_0009.thumb.JPG.dd00792ce7da38a83a05f0b6195b2878.JPG

2 minutes ago, Bod said:

We came out in February last year, but because of microbial corrosion we had to grit blast and 2 pack, at Debdale.

After and before pressure washing photos.

Bod

IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.5dcd0d698ee6dfeb91fd753fd94ffb92.JPGIMG_0009.thumb.JPG.dd00792ce7da38a83a05f0b6195b2878.JPG

According to the forum experts Microbial Corrosion is a figment of the imagination and a sales ploy of those who provide coatings, and, those who apply them.

Just a money making scam !

21 minutes ago, Bod said:

Hi Bod,

Looking through the thread, your Keelblack had been on two years and was still in good condition in March '20.

You then hauled out in Feb last year (Feb 2022) and work was required.

Had the keelblack been on 4 years at this point? Or was an additional coat applied in March '20?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the forum experts Microbial Corrosion is a figment of the imagination and a sales ploy of those who provide coatings, and, those who apply them.

You keep coming out with this, I havnt seen the f o I from people on here?? Who was it?

1 hour ago, Telstar said:

Hi Bod,

Looking through the thread, your Keelblack had been on two years and was still in good condition in March '20.

You then hauled out in Feb last year (Feb 2022) and work was required.

Had the keelblack been on 4 years at this point? Or was an additional coat applied in March '20?

First Keelblacked in 2016, over whatever was there, done 3-4 years previously by then owner.(microbe corrosion suspected then in 2016)

Pressure washed, scraped, Fertan, as per Kellblack instructions over everything, allowed to dry.

Two coats of Keelblack, then allowed to dry, which needed much longer than expected to harden.  I don't expect there to be any time gain by using Keelblack over standard bitumen because of the drying / hardening time required.  Certainly because Keelblack is water-based, putting the boat back too soon would cause major loss.

Redone at 2 years, mainly because the boat had to have the roof stripped fully and repainted.  Redone with Keelblack this time in a covered dock, again more drying time than expected.(ist time was open air)

Would I use Keelblack again.

Yes, only on the "hard" where there was no time restriction on going back into the water.

Bod

After washing.

SAM_0042.JPG.3d6aa297b5f2e22fc5b328869845a67e.JPG

Edited by Bod

3 hours ago, Bod said:

Pressure washed, scraped, Fertan, as per Kellblack instructions over everything, allowed to dry.

Two coats of Keelblack, then allowed to dry, which needed much longer than expected to harden.  I don't expect there to be any time gain by using Keelblack over standard bitumen because of the drying / hardening time required.  Certainly because Keelblack is water-based, putting the boat back too soon would cause major loss.

Which completely puts the original sales bumph of " reduced docking time", and " even coat when hull is wet" into perspective.

My mate had that orange fungal growth on his hull one time he dry docked. The guy who ran the dry dock suggested he spay the hull with bleach and leave overnight. We did this, washed again the following morning, towel dried and painted bitumen. The orange growth has never come back. Still moors at the same spot. Very weird!!

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Which completely puts the original sales bumph of " reduced docking time", and " even coat when hull is wet" into perspective.

Yes from experience, it is easy and quick to apply,, I'd put it on a damp hull, one coat straight after the first, minimal time between coats.  But it's the difference between "Touch Dry" paint and "Dry" paint, which is the sticking point.

The other problem I had with it, is it didn't store, order for delivery on the day of use, to ensure a fresh supply.  They have a chart giving coverage quantities, use all of it. (This may have been addressed)

Curiously, I used a new plastic paint roller tray to apply the first time, reused the second time. then stored dry for several years uncleaned.  The tray can be flexed untill the plastic threatens to crack.  the dried Keelblack does not crack or fall off.

Bod

What makes me dubious regarding the claims made for Keelblack is the one which states that in lab tests it's been demonstrated to outlast two pack epoxy. 

No reference is provided for these lab tests so it's impossible to know what tests were actually performed and over what period of time.

If there was any veracity to that claim, it also prompts the question: What % of ships and civil engineering projects like steel bridges and submerged steel structures are painted in Keelblack compared to two pack epoxy? 

Edited by blackrose

42 minutes ago, Bod said:

The other problem I had with it, is it didn't store, order for delivery on the day of use, to ensure a fresh supply.

A marina chandlery I know quite well had 5 litre plastic tubs of this for sale, they had been there just over 12 months, and the settled 1/3 of black stuff could only be removed with a chisel, not possible to stir back in.

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

A marina chandlery I know quite well had 5 litre plastic tubs of this for sale, they had been there just over 12 months, and the settled 1/3 of black stuff could only be removed with a chisel, not possible to stir back in.

Thats sounds like a fantastic advert for using it then.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Which is why it is sensible not to buy from a chandlers 😱

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to Tom Keeling, a surveyor who is well regarded on here the Worcester & Birmingham canal is bad for it