Keel Black - Is it any good

Featured Posts

Then have been going on about this on the Dutch Barge news group http://marine.chemcoint.com/apparently its OK over high pressure water wash preparation, which is greater than normal hull pressure washing but not as mucky as grit blast, can be put on damp steel and flash rust.

No similar to Intertuf. £139 for 20 Litres

Cheaper than the 2 pack epoxy I just painted my water tank with.

The biggest cost for boat blacking is the dry dock and prep work, so if this stuff has a longer life, or is quicker to apply so saves on dry dock time it may work out the same or even less. I shall investigate in a couple of years time when I next black our boat.

I did my boat with it. Superb stuff. Price per litre is similar to other bitumens but it does go twice as far. So defo much cheaper overall. It also can be put on a wet boat and dries quickly so you can do one coat then then start over again straight away.

It says on the data sheet that surfaces must be dry prior to application.

edit to add I thought this was about Black Jack, which paint is it that can be painted on wet surfaces ?

Edited by Glynn

Keelblack can and does go on a wet boat, I know because I did mine weT

This is the part I cant understand, you will be trapping water under the surface.

How is that good practice?

I have yet to see a boat come in the dock with this as the existing, nor have had any requests for it to be used.

This is the part I cant understand, you will be trapping water under the surface.

How is that good practice?

I have yet to see a boat come in the dock with this as the existing, nor have had any requests for it to be used.

Its water based so maybe the water is absorbed? I dont know I shotblasted and zingered mine at great cost if I had seen this I might have been tempted you never know it might be as good as the owner says

The best way I can describe it is its like emulsion paint in that any water thats about mixes with the Keelblack and then dries off. Its not like any other bitumen I've used. It is water based and water soluble product but it dries like a super hard normal bitumen.

The best way I can describe it is its like emulsion paint in that any water thats about mixes with the Keelblack and then dries off. Its not like any other bitumen I've used. It is water based and water soluble product but it dries like a super hard normal bitumen.

How long as yours been on? is there any rust coming through at the waterline?

Last month I had the boat in dry dock to do some other work so gave it a wash off to inspect it. Glad to say it all looked superb. Very little weed and that that was there came off very easy. Best bit was that it all looked very nice indeed no visible rust at all and notably none around the water line and apart from sruff damage to strakes looked as good as the day i painted it. I will be using again.

Edit: been on 11 months now originally done June 2015.

Edited by Blazeaway

Last month I had the boat in dry dock to do some other work so gave it a wash off to inspect it. Glad to say it all looked superb. Very little weed and that that was there came off very easy. Best bit was that it all looked very nice indeed no visible rust at all and notably none around the water line and apart from sruff damage to strakes looked as good as the day i painted it. I will be using again.

Edit: been on 11 months now originally done June 2015.

Excellent as good as the company owner said hope it takes off in a big way

Thanks for the info Blazeaway it sounds very promising.

I'm having my boat blacked in July by my usual boatyard and plan to tell them to use this along with fertan to treat any rust.

He was displaying fertan on the stall as well good luck and let us know how it performs

Then have been going on about this on the Dutch Barge news group http://marine.chemcoint.com/apparently its OK over high pressure water wash preparation, which is greater than normal hull pressure washing but not as mucky as grit blast, can be put on damp steel and flash rust.

I was chatting to the owner of the company at Crick you could play with the stuff it is waterbased and has very good coverage and he reckons a 60 foot boat could be done in one coat in an hour!!!!

...any water thats about mixes with the Keelblack and then dries off. It is water based and water soluble product but it dries like a super hard normal bitumen.

Sounds an interesting product certainly.

We use this stuff and it has worked a treat, 25ltrs for £45

Just cause it doesn't say marine on it doesn't mean it won't work

Nothing wrong with the 'pile them high, get them cheap' approach especially if you can get the dock/crane fees right. However I doubt that stuff will go five years between coats without any noticeable loss or corrosion?

Daniel

Nothing wrong with the 'pile them high, get them cheap' approach especially if you can get the dock/crane fees right. However I doubt that stuff will go five years between coats without any noticeable loss or corrosion?

Daniel

Trouble is nor do ones costing more than twice that amount.

• Greenie 1

I saw this stuff at last year's Crick show. The performance claims from other uses looked good, but it's how it turns out to be after a while on a boat hull that counts. I'm not sure why the manufacturers didn't provide a few free tins to someone to black a boat or two with it immediately they decided they were going to market it for Narrowboat use. At very little cost, they could have had real world info and photos to back up their claims by now. It'll be very interested to see 2 and 3 year reports and photos from early adopters, but the odd opinion that it looks OK from the bank after a year isn't quite enough evidence. I hope it's every bit as good as it promises to be, but as yet it's too much of a leap of faith for me to try it. My fingers are crossed for those who were brave though, and I hope your results are outstanding!