Watermills at Locks

Heartland

Featured Posts

I have recently received a picture of a watermill which is stated to be beside the Shropshire Union Middlewch Branch. I am trying to find a location

Ray Shill

post-14703-0-42359900-1464641344_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heartland

It's a long time since I was on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union but I don't remember any building like this. A quick scan of Google Earth doesn't indicate a building such as this at any of the locks. Including the lock at the junction with the Trent & Mersey, there are only four locks on the branch. It must be on some other part of the SU or even on another canal. Does anybody have any ideas?

I have recently received a picture of a watermill which is stated to be beside the Shropshire Union Middlewch Branch. I am trying to find a location

Ray Shill

attachicon.gif0599 Shropshire U C Middelwich Branch.jpg

A really good place to inspect prop and sterngear! Hot water used to come into the canal , seen on the right of the picture, from the adjacent brine pumping operation. It was one of very few places where it was quite pleasant to actually be in the canal. Top lock of the Booth Lane flight of three. I think the lock bye wash still uses the mill race and exits from under the mill into the lower pound.

Bill