Niehoff alternator re-wind

mross

Featured Posts

My Niehoff A1-104 alternator has failed; I think it needs a re-wind as the B+ to B- resistance is over 3kOhms. Does anyone know where I can get it rewound? Somewhere near Crick would be great. Its output is 14V, 80A - can anyone suggest a robust alternative? Thanks!

post-25259-0-90080700-1464638344_thumb.jpg

My Niehoff A1-104 alternator has failed; I think it needs a re-wind as the B+ to B- resistance is over 3kOhms. Does anyone know where I can get it rewound? Somewhere near Crick would be great. Its output is 14V, 80A - can anyone suggest a robust alternative? Thanks!

attachicon.gifIMG_20160530_205042782.jpg

More likely to be a diode failure. Suggest you get it to a rebuilder and have them open it up, there really is little to be learned from resistance readings taken externally.

• 1 month later...

Electrostart had the alternator for three weeks and dismantled it and tested all the diodes. No faults were found but it still did not work. They tried with a spare regulator that I had bought from Granthams Bridge Boat Services, Hillmorton. Kindly, they charged me nothing. David Bixter, MD of Granthams Bridge Boat Services, managed to find me a used alternator which works fine and I am back in business. He's the chap who owns Russell Newberry and Willow Wren and is really helpful.

Even at idle this alternator generates plenty of current. It's great to feel independent again!

• 2 months later...

Niehoff UK have checked out the alternator and the field winding is out of spec; It's 3.3 ohms when it should be 4-6ohms.

The cost for the repair including labour, small parts package, bearing, forging and field coil assembly is £316.33 + VAT EX WORKS.

A new A1-104 is £583.16 + VAT EX WORKS.

Yikes!

I've asked Niehoff to quote for a modern replacement.