Zanussi Fridge/freezer

Glenn&Karen

Featured Posts

Our Zanussi fridge (with ice box) has just given up the ghost (we think!) It is an integrated Model No. ZUS 6144A and is connected to 240v circuit on the boat. it was wired to a junction box which also serves other sockets which are working ok. We pulled the fridge out and put a plug directly on the cable and plugged it in - no joy - no light - no fridge noise! Also checked the fuse and that ok too.

We cannot find a replacement on the Zanussi site with the same dimensions and obviously do not want to start 'hacking' the units about to get a bigger one in - not sure this would be an option anyway as the oven is one side and set of drawers the other.

The boat (Aqualine) (and fridge) is 7 years old. Is this a reasonable life for this type of unit?

Are we possibly missing something?

Any ideas where we can get a replacement to fit in the same 'hole' would be welcome.

Looks to be a standard size to me, so any make of built-under fridge should fit, such as http://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/cooling/models/built-in-fridge-freezers/rbiu6091aw/407391.

However, for the fault that you have, it would be worth having it looked at by someone in the know.

ps with most fridges, if you rotate the thermostat all the way anti-clockwise, that is OFF!

You might also want to check the lightbulb to see if the filament has broken, which would make a simple thermostat failure seem more sinister.

Edited by Kwacker

Looks to be a standard size to me, so any make of built-under fridge should fit, such as http://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/cooling/models/built-in-fridge-freezers/rbiu6091aw/407391.

However, for the fault that you have, it would be worth having it looked at by someone in the know.

ps with most fridges, if you rotate the thermostat all the way anti-clockwise, that is OFF!

You might also want to check the lightbulb to see if the filament has broken, which would make a simple thermostat failure seem more sinister.

True, when fridges fail the light normally continues to work.

Thanks for your help guys - I was back a the boat today and checked the supply actually at the fridge where the mains cable connects and have power there.

Next took off the light fitting which incorporates the light switch (operated by

the door) and the thermostat switch.

No power at the connection to the light switch which gets its feed from the thermostat. So pulled the live connection of the thermostat and connected to the live side of the light switch and lo and behold the light came on. So something wrong with the thermostat stopping it feeding to the live side of the light switch. But cannot find a way to replace the thermostat because it has a small silver pipe that goes out the back of the fridge (to somewhere?).

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help guys - I was back a the boat today and checked the supply actually at the fridge where the mains cable connects and have power there.

Next took off the light fitting which incorporates the light switch (operated by

the door) and the thermostat switch.

No power at the connection to the light switch which gets its feed from the thermostat. So pulled the live connection of the thermostat and connected to the live side of the light switch and lo and behold the light came on. So something wrong with the thermostat stopping it feeding to the live side of the light switch. But cannot find a way to replace the thermostat because it has a small silver pipe that goes out the back of the fridge (to somewhere?).

Any ideas?

You have to go inside the fridge and find that thin silver pipe, unclip it and thread it out. It is the capillary that operates the thermostat.

Thanks Ditchcrawler - I have ordered a spare thermostat (£17.00!) and on espares web site they show a vid exchanging it and the capillary tube just pushing into the body of the fridge. Hope this is the answer.

I hope that is your problem and you haven't just wasted £17 I would have tried shorting the stat out to see if the fridge runs first.