How we affect the canal water

Featured Posts

Weed grows in the Slough Arm because it is an arm with little boat traffic.

Here in Rugby the boat free but weed clogged Brownsover Arm is boomed off to prevent the weed escaping into the weed free but boat clogged canal.

I remeber the first time I went into Coventry, crystal clear water, fish swimming under the boat, the crap on the bottom, but hardly anyone went that way, the weed was more of a problem than the crap. Now its used a lot more, the water is mucky, no weed, cant see the fish, not even the crap.

Firstly, define "weed" because it can mean different things to different people/occasions/places. (And I don't mean "the herb"!!!!)

I suspect the conditions which promote weed growth in this area are coincidentally the same as the locality which defines where the moored boats are, but one is not necessarily causal of the other.

Firstly, define "weed" because it can mean different things to different people/occasions/places. (And I don't mean "the herb"!!!!)

I suspect the conditions which promote weed growth in this area are coincidentally the same as the locality which defines where the moored boats are, but one is not necessarily causal of the other.

The 'weed' that is growing here is basically the stuff that grows on the bottom of your boat, it is like great mats of algae. The 'coincidence' you refer to does seem a bit difficult to accept since from the junction to Bridge 6 the canal is clear of weed, the water is not clear and progress is much the same as on any other piece of canal. Between Bridge 6 and Bridge 7 the water is crystal clear, there is a mass of weed and a lot of moored boats. From Bridge 7 to the 'basin' the water clarity is the same as the section from the Junction to Bridge 6, the depth is slightly less and there is no real problem with weed. I cannot think of any reason why the central 1000yrds of canal should be any different to rest of the Arm other than the fact that there are a lot of moored boats there. Any suggestions?

Its the horrible green weed that acts like rope, floats on the surface and is strong enough for moorhens to walk on.