6LXB

carlt

Featured Posts

This is a question that I would have addressed to Tim Leech directly once upon a time but sadly that is no longer possible.

I am considering the size of the offer I intend to put on a boat and the engine's value is a very important factor (yes it is a nice engine gift wrapped in a floating wooden box).

So would anyone know the value of a recently rebuilt 6LXB that has been maintained with no expense spared for its whole life?

The price of Gardner engines varies tremendously depending on the condition and appearance of the engine. For example, I've seen ragged looking, but purportedly well running, 6LXBs for close to £900, or you can go for a Joe McCool work of art and engineering for £24,000 for the same engine including gearbox.

Probably if you posted a couple photos of your engine, you'd have a better chance of getting a realistic answer to your question.

The answer is probably somewhere between the values on this other post. There do seem to be a number of 6LXBs out there as they come up for sale quite frequently but normally in a well worn state and hence at the lower end of this range. Personally I think they are great but not as valuable in money terms as people think they might be.

It will be interesting to see what Martyn thinks.

In a dead engine but complete state they are around the £600-£1200 mark. A recon one (Engine not with gearbox) will cost you around the £16-18k mark depending on build spec. So the engine in the boat will be somewhere between the two.

Now where it sits will depend on the record of its maintenance and unfortunately who did the overhaul and to what extent that was done. If it's a pukka marine one instead of a converted automotive one it will hold a slight premium because of that.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

Now where it sits will depend on the record of its maintenance and unfortunately who did the overhaul and to what extent that was done. If it's a pukka marine one instead of a converted automotive one it will hold a slight premium because of that.

Thanks for that.

It's a pukka marine one that has been maintained regardless of cost and was rebuilt just before it came out of service last year.

My fear is that the engine's value outweighs the boat's and yet another nice wooden boat will be cut up for a quick profit.

Unfortunately the OH is expressing legitimate concerns about my health and its compatibility with wooden boats and is attempting to turn my head with a rather nice Mk1 Freeman 30 that she knows I lust after.

Thanks for that.

It's a pukka marine one that has been maintained regardless of cost and was rebuilt just before it came out of service last year.

My fear is that the engine's value outweighs the boat's and yet another nice wooden boat will be cut up for a quick profit.

Unfortunately the OH is expressing legitimate concerns about my health and its compatibility with wooden boats and is attempting to turn my head with a rather nice Mk1 Freeman 30 that she knows I lust after.

Carl, I'm in the same boat as you, no pun intended. The day comes that we all have to admit that we simply aren't capable of the exertion we were 20 or even 5 or 10 years ago. So here's my take. Get something like:

5408912_20151007083831625_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Then put some davits on the stern of your Freeman 30 and hang your wooden boat restoration project from them.

That's my two pence worth.

Carl, I'm in the same boat as you, no pun intended. The day comes that we all have to admit that we simply aren't capable of the exertion we were 20 or even 5 or 10 years ago. So here's my take. Get something like:

5408912_20151007083831625_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Then put some davits on the stern of your Freeman 30 and hang your wooden boat restoration project from them.

That's my two pence worth.

Bet that would shift on the river with a 6cyl Gardner in it.

• Greenie 1

Nice one, Ian, have a greeno (or, as it's a Gardner, perhaps a greyo).

I met one of these engines, or one almost like unto it, this week during our travels on the Canal de Garonne. It was propelling a barge weighing 60 tons, and quite effectively according to the owner, so goodness knows how big Mr. T's possible boat purchase is.