Macclesfield Breach, no Cheshire Ring for us! Help needed

FiFiW

Featured Posts

Hi we have been booked in at Acton Bridge for a year to do the Cheshire Ring, the route, stops all planned - even a couple of pubs booked. Then disaster, I get a call a couple of hours ago to say that we cannot do the ring as there is a stoppage at Bollington!

Suggested route is to Chester and back, but I'm from Chester so no thanks (I've also done this route a lot)! I've done the Llangollen so many times. That leaves me with a to and fro route as far as I can see up the Shroppie? We are a two boat convoy, its Whit week so no chance of getting two boats from one base now. We only have a week, where could we get to and back from this base reasonably - we don't mind putting the hours in.

Thanks, we are so disappointed!

That's such a shame for you! No consolation I a sure but we had planned to do the Cheshire ring for several years before we actually managed to do it! There always seemed to be a stoppage somewhere when we were boating. It is worth waiting for though and you will enjoy it when you eventualy get to do it.

Enjoy where ever you go and down the Shroppie is a good idea.

haggis

What about a run down the Trent & Mersey ? Lovely down there, if a little industrial at times.

Have a play with canal plan to work out how far you could get ...

Edit to add..hiya haggis x ? hope you are well ..Andy

Edited by Stormbringer

Similar thing happened to me in 1998. Booked from Macclesfield to do the Cheshire Ring but a collapsed culvert somewhere in the Manchester area put paid to that idea. Did the Four Counties Ring instead but that was a long haul from Macclesfield. In hindsight the Caldon may have been better but from Acton Bridge you are quite a bit closer to the Four Counties ring than we were starting in Macclesfield.

JP

A bit Random, but what about mixing it up a bit?

Down to Middlewich, back up to Anderton & down onto the Weaver for a day or two, then up to Manchester for a night. If any time left you could pop down to Worsley for a night. That is lots of little mini 'out & backs' and might be quite fun.

A bit Random, but what about mixing it up a bit?

Down to Middlewich, back up to Anderton & down onto the Weaver for a day or two, then up to Manchester for a night. If any time left you could pop down to Worsley for a night. That is lots of little mini 'out & backs' and might be quite fun.

I did a similar thing when I booked from Kate Boats at Stockton Top to go to Stoke Bruerne over the Bank Holiday weekend last August and then a gate broke at Buckby (there's a lot of deja vu going on here).

Ended up going through Braunston, Hillmorton, Napton and Calcutt locks and it was quite fun and all made up on the spur of the moment as we went along. Having a bit of time to stop and see some of the canal locations rather than just trying to get to the destination was good.

JP

Thank you, 4 counties seems a real slog from Acton - wish we had longer than a week now! Caldon looks interesting & I'm not sure if I've ever done this canal so will look into this! Our other idea, is just going around the Cheshire Ring as far as we can and coming back seeing as though I have us arriving at that point around Day 4 its more or less half way around.

From Facebook:

Marple Flight Reopens
Notice Update: 23rd May 16

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Peak Forest Canal
Starts At: Lock 1
Ends At: Lock 16
Up Stream Winding Hole: Above lock 16
Down Stream Winding Hole: Below lock 1

Update on 23/05/2016:

We are pleased to announce the repair to lock 12 today has been successful. The canal in now open.

https://www.facebook...07309872616701/

Edited by Ray T

Hi Ray, yes well that closure almost thwarted our plans to head that way at all but its reopened its this one (below) which is still until further notice and canal has been drained. Our friends think that if we head that way it could be reopened by the time we get there, experience makes me think otherwise!

Macclesfield Canal: Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge Ends At: Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Between bridges 25 and 26.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Bollington Wharf

Thank you, 4 counties seems a real slog from Acton - wish we had longer than a week now! Caldon looks interesting & I'm not sure if I've ever done this canal so will look into this! Our other idea, is just going around the Cheshire Ring as far as we can and coming back seeing as though I have us arriving at that point around Day 4 its more or less half way around.

This was us at the beginning of this month http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/cheddleton-monday-may-2-2016.html

What you need to do is find someone to head in the opposite direction and then change boats when you reach the stoppage, turn the boat round and problem solved. The ring completed. A bit tongue in cheek but is could be a solution.

I would say the Four Counties Ring if you don't mind doing long days - but actually, with two boats to take through each (narrow) lock, I suppose they'd have to be very long days! If it were me, I'd do the Caldon, I think - this is not the first thread where people have been queueing up to recommend it.

Well we thought about doing the ring up to the breach and then heading back as its pretty much a half way point. However, the guy at the base doing the Ashton twice would be a nightmare and also recommends the Caldon so I think this is probably what we will end up doing!

Well we thought about doing the ring up to the breach and then heading back as its pretty much a half way point. However, the guy at the base doing the Ashton twice would be a nightmare and also recommends the Caldon so I think this is probably what we will end up doing!

do the OTHER half then!

Yeah we looked at that but I think I prefer the Caldon route. If we push on to Middlewich on the Saturday, does anyone know how likely it will be for us to get a mooring at 6.30pm+?

Easy, there is no shortage of moorings in Middlewich.