Leaky injector pump

KroSha

Featured Posts

I changed the fuel filter last weekend. Not a massive problem, except that bleeding the injector pump was a bit of a b****h. And I now have a bit of a diesel leak. It seems to be coming from the small screws below the bleed nuts (pictured in red). Said bleed nuts could also do with replacing, as the have been a bit chewed up previously. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this, or even what the injector is? The name plate is a bit eroded (also pictured).

post-25470-0-72639600-1464085067_thumb.jpg

post-25470-0-30476200-1464085139_thumb.jpg

I've tightened them as far as I can. I was thinking maybe a small o-ring to seal it?

This is a similar pump:

CAV71Reduction.jpg

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/injection/CAV50.htm

I'm pretty sure the screw is part 14, the locking cup is part 15 and there is a copper washer part 15A

Does your engine run OK?

Richard

It runs ok. Less smokey now that I've changed the oil.

I had a look at the engine last night, and screw 14 does look right. There's no washer on the outside though. I'm assuming that the locking cap is inside.

It runs ok. Less smokey now that I've changed the oil.

I had a look at the engine last night, and screw 14 does look right. There's no washer on the outside though. I'm assuming that the locking cap is inside.

Yes, the locking cap is the circle surrounding the screw head

I'm asking if your engine runs right as that leaking fuel shouldn't be there. The pump element (13) seals against the pump body and should stop fuel running down. Does your camshaft housing fill up with fuel?

Richard

Nope. All the fuel is running down the outside of the injector pump. I have a drip tray on the floor to catch it. There seems to be very little going elsewhere.

Where does the camshaft in a Kelvin sit? I haven't been able to find any decent diagrams. The skynet site is great, but I'm a visual guy and prefer drawings.

Nope. All the fuel is running down the outside of the injector pump. I have a drip tray on the floor to catch it. There seems to be very little going elsewhere.

Where does the camshaft in a Kelvin sit? I haven't been able to find any decent diagrams. The skynet site is great, but I'm a visual guy and prefer drawings.

If you are near East London, try the people below. They have sorted my CAV pump and injectors for me for many years. Speak to Steve

MV motors

Address: 7 Bidder St, London E16 4ST
Phone:07973 186440
If you're near Isleworth, the place to go is CJ Diesels
Address: 6 Wood La, Isleworth TW7 5ER
Phone:020 8560 2297
Either of these two will sort you out.

Where does the camshaft in a Kelvin sit?

In the bottom of the pump, part number 71. As part of your routine maintenance you check the oil level in the cam box. If the elements are leaking the box will fill with fuel diluting the oil

Richard

Ah, right. I check the oil level in the injector pump every time I start the engine using the dipstick 60/61. Generally it is good. Occasionally I add a squirt, but it's never been too full.

• 5 months later...