Three mobile yet again!

Theo

Featured Posts

I have had to change my contract from the wonder AYCE tethering One contract at £15/m to a rather less good 30GB tethering contract at £20/m.

It seems that they will cut off my tethering if I go over but I can buy add ins for £5 per 500MB which seems a bit steep.

The strange thing at the moment though is my mobile is showing a data consuption of about 11.5GB with 20 days to go before it's reset to 30GB but when I have a look on my account on the internet it says that I still have 30GB left with 20 days to go. I wonder which is right. Perhaps they have set me up with a magic porridge pot of data. I am taking screen shots of the allowance data as evidence should it become necessary.

N

Seemingly the maximum hot spot/ tethering allowance now with three is 30GB, even with AYCE plans. My hotspot usage is counting down on my three account so they are tracking it. I don't know why yours isn't showing if you are tethering.

Theo, check your first bill and it should show how much Three think you have used. If it matches your data use on the phone, you have a good measure - if they think you have not used any you are in luck!! However, I think you'll find they know what you are using. When I was on the one plan, they always showed my usage total on the bill despite it being unlimited.

I am on a similar plan in Spain but 40gb a month. I consider myself a heavy user (wife says I'm never off it) although I do not download stuff like films or software etc. or at least it's not more than a couple of times a month. I don't think I've ever gone much over 20gb. Anyone using more than 30gb is more than a normal user and can't complain about it being unfair. Your usage meters are different on the phone to what three have so ignore the phone meter or use the setup on the phone to set it up correctly.

I will certainly check my first bill and hope that I, like DaveP have not been programmed in correctly. I rarely go ove the 30GB level but sometimes I have been a bit heavy on TV streaming when we have a poor normal signal. I went up to 50GB one month!

N

I use the Three plan all of the time whether home or afloat (we got rid of the land line some time ago.) My account shows the amount of data we have used whilst tethered (we use tethering for all Internet activities but no streaming stuff like films or TV,) and we seem to be averaging 0.5 gigs a day. I believe that my wife's Windows laptop is far heavier on the data than my Linux setup.

ps, so they just shut your tethering off if you exceed it and no surprise bills?

Cheers.

Edited by Guest

I stopped worrying about it after the first month, then pushed it big time in the second month (this was when it was 4gb tethering - my normal use was 12-20gb)

I now watch all tv through and let all visitors download what they like (even let Kathy download the Archers Omnibus, et alicecream.gif ).

Still shows I have not used more than 4GB

A quick question for those that are able to track their tethering/hotspot usage on the Three website, do you have some sort of Three app installed on the phone?

Likewise for those who can't see their hotspot usage, do you have no app installed?

We don't and I wonder if that is the only way they've managed to track it?

A quick question for those that are able to track their tethering/hotspot usage on the Three website, do you have some sort of Three app installed on the phone?

Likewise for those who can't see their hotspot usage, do you have no app installed?

I do have an app on my phone. That is a very interesting thought.

It's on the 3 app under "my 3 account ; allowance remaining, what you've got left this month". I've only noticed the Personal Hotspot usage since they switched me to the new plan with 30gb limit last month (previously unlimited hotspot).

It's on the 3 app under "my 3 account ; allowance remaining, what you've got left this month". I've only noticed the Personal Hotspot usage since they switched me to the new plan with 30gb limit last month (previously unlimited hotspot).

And if you go to the Three website and log in to your account is your hotspot usage visible there?

I'm on 3 PAYG which explicitly does not allow tethering according to the website. I have no problems doing exactly that though - no app installed.

As I understand it, there is no automatic way to detect tethering - it depends partly on how your phone handles tethering and partly on the software and tools the network uses.

I use the Three plan all of the time whether home or afloat (we got rid of the land line some time ago.) My account shows the amount of data we have used whilst tethered (we use tethering for all Internet activities but no streaming stuff like films or TV,) and we seem to be averaging 0.5 gigs a day. I believe that my wife's Windows laptop is far heavier on the data than my Linux setup.

ps, so they just shut your tethering off if you exceed it and no surprise bills?

Cheers.

That's what they said to me!

N

And if you go to the Three website and log in to your account is your hotspot usage visible there?

Yes and it says that I have no using while the phone is logging what I am actaully using.

yes... I am happy you do smile.png another 5GB of omnibus to download using your tethering ninja.gif

How on earth does two hours of audio get to be 5gB?!!

The rule of thumb is 1 mB per minute for good quality audio...

(So two hours of bare audio should be about 0.12gB)

I am on a similar plan in Spain but 40gb a month. I consider myself a heavy user (wife says I'm never off it) although I do not download stuff like films or software etc. or at least it's not more than a couple of times a month. I don't think I've ever gone much over 20gb. Anyone using more than 30gb is more than a normal user and can't complain about it being unfair. Your usage meters are different on the phone to what three have so ignore the phone meter or use the setup on the phone to set it up correctly.

That may have been the case 5 years ago but now streaming is more common than ever here in the UK at least and it's really not hard to exceed 30GB a month if you're streaming. - Something I've sadly had to cut right back on since becoming a liveaboard due to the cost of data yet I still average about 2GB usage per day.

• 3 months later...

That may have been the case 5 years ago but now streaming is more common than ever here in the UK at least and it's really not hard to exceed 30GB a month if you're streaming. - Something I've sadly had to cut right back on since becoming a liveaboard due to the cost of data yet I still average about 2GB usage per day.

I am interested in this having burned through 30gb in a weekend (I can blame a new work Iphone downloading all of its apps after a restore, plus my good lady using an app to keep an eye on her mum via a camera I put in - safety and security not snooping ) One thing to consider if streaming tv is that on my old Samsung S3 I can mirror the screen and testing at home on my panasonic TV is was very good and of course it uses the all you can eat data rather than the tethered data. I'll test it later on my boat with the Samsung tv onboard.

I am aware some have their tethering recorded and some do not.... I do wonder if it is 3 managing its customers data use as I know of one who's tethering was not capped until recently - it just started without any change on his part? When i get my next chunk of tethered data I'm going to try a VPN plus PDA net and also remove the three app..... all for general interest of course. If anyone has any other ideas I'm happy to receive them here or PM.....?

I have my phone set-up with MyWi as upon returning to the country and swapping back to contract, three wouldn't let me have my old contract back which didn't track my tethered usuage. The new one did - and hence jailbreaking the iphone and installing MyWi.

I don't have regular telly, not interested in it, don't watch much netflix or amazon, prob an hour or 2 a night on average. I use around 60Gb a month. iPhone, iPad, TV, Win10 PC and Xbox updates all happen through this connection.

I'm live aboard and constantly cruise between a couple of bridges so have no wifi - to put data use into perspective.

Just to clear up what Mike said. It used to be a gig an hour for video. But these days it's more like +3 for HD stuff.

If three haven't said out, carry on, I worked that way a few years ago

I fell foul of 3 and data. I pay for 15 gb per month. I ran beyond my allowance and ran up a huge bill. Called 3 and they said we could let me know if I get near my limit. I said but you didn't. They said you didn't ask us to. You get the story.

Anyway, I wanted to add 5 gb to my allowance. Of course you can. That will be a plan costing six pounds more. Fine,I'll go along with that. Well, we'll have to cancel your present contract and put you on a new one. Good,thinks me. It would cost me £230 to cancel my present contract. Bad thinks me. Complained to some other 'person' to no avail.

Got ten gB from EE on a data only sim. Dongle not locked.

Bloomin' racket. Once they've got yer,they've got yer.

I'm on 3 sim only all you can eat data from Apple for £18 per month.

We bought a 4g router on the boat last May when we go to the boat my sim goes into the router. Since we've had it it's done nearly 180gb having 2 teenagers don't help. But all seems ok with 3.