Bath Water Space Study - Liveaboard Boaters Survey

Featured Posts

Note everyone - this is something I'm involved with professionally, in that capacity I've been asked to circulate the following. Please feel free to complete the survey by any means available

STARTS

Boaters Survey 2016 - Now Open!

Those who live aboard boats in the Bath & North East Somerset (B&NES) area are being asked how they use the River Avon and Kennet and Avon Canal and how their need for basic services can be better met as part of the WaterSpace Study. This survey follows a previous boater survey in 2013<http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/sites/default/files/bnes_health_study_report_final_full_report_inc_appendices.pdf> which examined boater demographics.

The Boaters Survey 2016 will run for six weeks from 24th May to 4th July 2016, and will look at how far boaters travel, the type and size of crafts used, and the range of facilities they need whilst on the canal and river in the B&NES area. Results will be made available to the Bath WaterSpace project to enable facilities such as water points, sewage disposal and mooring areas to be planned and provided.

The survey will be carried out by Consultancy Atkins Plc on behalf of the newly formed Bath WaterSpace Partnership (made up of B&NES Council, Canal & River Trust, the Environment Agency and Wessex Water). The survey will help the partners better understand what the needs are for live-aboard boaters and how they can be better provided for:

* Link to e-survey<https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/banesboaterssurvey>

* Downloadable survey<http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sitedocuments/Environment/bnes_questionnaire_surveymonkey_final.pdf>
You can download a poster<http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sitedocuments/Environment/bnes_a5_poster.pdf> to advertise the survey here.

The survey is available above as an e-survey and as a downloadable pdf. In addition hard copies are available on request from Rachel Lambert at Atkins (tel 07789 876 715 or email rachel.l.lambert@atkinsglobal.com<mailto:rachel.l.lambert@atkinsglobal.com>).

Please do take part in this survey, and encourage your friends and neighbours to get involved!

Results of the survey will be made available in September 2016 on the website www.waterspacebath.org.uk<http://www.waterspacebath.org.uk>

ENDS

This looks to be aimed at liveaboards who stay within the B&NES area rather than those who travel more extensively or visit from elsewhere. How is the provision of additional facilities specifically for this group compatible with encouraging boaters to comply with their licence conditions?

This looks to be aimed at liveaboards who stay within the B&NES area rather than those who travel more extensively or visit from elsewhere. How is the provision of additional facilities specifically for this group compatible with encouraging boaters to comply with their licence conditions?

That could take a long time to answer and I've got to be careful not to give a prejudicial opinion, however

1 - it is about boaters who cc liveaboard and cruise* in the B&NES area, and the Water Space Project covers only the B&NES area, boaters who liveaboard and spend part of their time on the B&NES area (possibly a very small part) are included

2 - as the local authority is B&NES it can hardly be expected to cover other local authority areas, if other authorities wish to do similar studies they are entitled to do so, and I hope some do

3 - CRT are part of the partnership for this study and have approved this survey - whilst this doesn't answer your question on licence conditions it does indicate that CRT aware aware and have had the opportunity to express the same concern - they haven't

Edited to add - I had expected a news item to need mod approval first, it didn't. I've just sent them a message to make sure they are okay with this thread

*corrected following David Mack's observation

Edited by magpie patrick

Well you have answered a point I didn't raise - it doesn't even cover boaters with a home mooring.

What is the extent of the B&NES length of waterway and how many 'places' do CRT consider this to be?

It does cover boaters with a home mooring - a question specifically asks that

B&NES area covers Hanham Lock to Dundas Aqueduct, where the canal enters Wiltshire (a rather arbitrary boundary if you are a boater, you are not likely to turn back just because it's there) so around 17 miles of canal and river

Places - I don't know and I'm not sure CRT do either, the one-time plan with "places" has been dropped

edited to add - sorry, my early reference to cc was slightly erroneous - "liveaboards who cruise" or even "extended cruisers" - what the survey does not seek to cover is holiday makers, a different survey will cover those

Edited by magpie patrick

Well you have answered a point I didn't raise - it doesn't even cover boaters with a home mooring.

What is the extent of the B&NES length of waterway and how many 'places' do CRT consider this to be?

From Hanam Lock to Dundas aqueduct is about 16 miles. East of Dundas is In Wiltshire, and the six miles west of Hanam Lock to Bristol is the responsibility of Port of Bristol Authority.

Edited to add:- Beaten by Magpie with the stats.

Edited by David Schweizer

I don't think anything exceptional should be read into this. B&NES have always had a very vigorous approach to surveying the people who enter their jurisdictional space and one of the reasons is to assess the impact needs may have on council finances and services. Ellen's had something very similar as a householder in Bath and I was surveyed in Bath by a company representing B&NES, who were looking at my needs as a visitor, late last year.

Patrick is charged with distributing this survey to as many groups as possible, because, statistically, the data becomes far more robust as the survey population increases. Therefore, there is less chance of the results being skewed to one particular interest group.

In simple terms, i guess if people don't move much because the need/want to stay near services, if there is more services they might move more?

• 2 months later...

Interesting that 64% of respondents said they would be happy to pay for 'serviced moorings' whilst they were out cruising.

Gives C&RT a good reason to start charging for visitors moorings with 'facilities' close by.