webasto Exhaust

ditchy

Featured Posts

My new webasto has come with an exhaust with an extra hole for presumably condensation drain. Some of the exhaust smoke comes straight out of here and escapes into the engine bay. Is there an alternative or do we all need to just live with this?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean the silencer, there is a proper welded marine silencer with exhaust tube available which would solve the issue but you should not have to live with smoke even with a condensate drain as there should be none unless your heater is not set up correctly, is being fed poor fuel or is faulty. If this was an air heater I would be strongly advising you not to use it untill the issue is rectified but less important as I assume you are talking about a Thermo Top.

Edited by NMEA

Yes, I mean the silencer. Its not a air heater either. The exhaust pipe enters at 3oclock and exits at 3oclock. The small drain hole is about 4,5, 6ish mm at the 6 o'clock position. are you saying that there is a tube u can fit to this, which would then reduce the slight smoke mist from this hole or are you saying that you can buy the silencers without the drain hole?.. Any recommendation of where or any pictures would be appreciated,

Yes, I mean the silencer. Its not a air heater either. The exhaust pipe enters at 3oclock and exits at 3oclock. The small drain hole is about 4,5, 6ish mm at the 6 o'clock position. are you saying that there is a tube u can fit to this, which would then reduce the slight smoke mist from this hole or are you saying that you can buy the silencers without the drain hole?.. Any recommendation of where or any pictures would be appreciated,

What I am saying primarily and most importantly is that the drain hole should not matter, if you are getting a mist of smoke that is the issue that needs to be addressed as there should be zero smoke present in the exhaust, there is something wrong with your setup. However if you wish to ill advisedly mask the underlying problem you could fit a gas tight marine exhaust, but as I have said there should be no need if the heater is OK. Just google Webasto marine exhaust to see sellers, prices (over £100) and pictures.

Hi. Its a new set up and the evidence of smoke is no more, however I am just slightly concerned about the invisible noxious gases that will seep out through the path of least resistance, ie this drain on the official webasto silencer. Only want to cover my tracks, do it right and obviously live on a safe boat.

Hopefully this thread might highlight to other users of webasto and other heaters of this small hole manufactured into the exhaust so that they can be aware and keep themselves that extra bit safer.

The hole in the silencer will be fine in that case, the CO levels in the exhaust are minimal and the heater is mounted in the engine room with good ventilation and no path to the accommodation. I simply wouldn't worry, there are hundreds of Thermo Tops around using the standard exhaust provided with the kit and there has never been an issue. The only situation where this would be a worry is in an air heater which did not have a separate duct and the marine blown air kits include a gas tight exhaust system anyway.

No Ray, there is a larger one that shuts them up a lot more but sadly with a > £100 price tag even at the cheapest online supplier . Thing is with the coolant based heaters used by most (but not all) on this forum is that the standard silencer is perfectly fine due to the install site, as I said previously the condensate drain will not be an issue except with air heaters. With an air heater mounted in let’s say a locker for instance without a separate sealed duct leading from the outside to the circulated air inlet you would be pumping exhaust gasses around the boat with the heated air in the event of a leak. Obviously this is not the case with a coolant based system when installed in the usual place and this is the rationale for the marine exhaust which comprises of a single unit with the gas tight silencer with 1m of exhaust tube welded to each end. The marine blown air kits include these as standard but the marine TTC and thermo 90 kit includes the standard silencer and separate tube.

Thanks for the info , not had any complaints and mine is not as loud as a nearby smaller unit but I am always looking for the best solution

As we are pensioners we do not need to fire up the quattro till the sun is up so not really an issue

Regards Ray

I have a Hydronic 10. My exhaust consists of a flexible pipe from the heater unit to a purpose made skin fitting. Would the fitment of a silencer box make much difference to the noise emitted at the skin fitting? It is not overly loud now but is audible from around 10 steps away.

I have a Hydronic 10. My exhaust consists of a flexible pipe from the heater unit to a purpose made skin fitting. Would the fitment of a silencer box make much difference to the noise emitted at the skin fitting? It is not overly loud now but is audible from around 10 steps away.

In a word, Yes it would... Oh, that's three.