Is it bad luck to change the name on you boat ??

puppy999

Featured Posts

I'd say that is a half-truth.

If you feck up a name change on a proper ship and the bad luck sinks it, many souls might be lost.

If you do the same on a narrow boat and it sinks, a couple of people just get wet ankles.

Well that's just it, innit? So what if it IS bad luck to change a boat name, across the board? If you hit a rock on the canals, it's probably a submerged kerb stone and you'll just roll of it! Why worry!!

Well that's just it, innit? So what if it IS bad luck to change a boat name, across the board? If you hit a rock on the canals, it's probably a submerged kerb stone and you'll just roll of it! Why worry!!

You're overlooking the phenomenal whinge capacity of most narrerboters, if I may say...

My boat had 2 previous owners and names, but I renamed her again. About bad luck I've had a few problems here and there but that's boating isn't it? I now have a large painting with the roses and castles together with the previous names in the picture. Hunters Moon and Badger, therefore she has still kept all her names .

Yes,

In evidence:

Ripple - my first boat, no name change and no trouble

Juno - my second boat, no name change and no trouble (beyond that caused by my own neglect!)

Lutine Bell, previously Cream Cheese, Lutine Belle (I know), Chunky and a name when new that is now lost in the mists of time: leaks, engine overheats, gearbox failed, twin lever became detached...

In counter evidence (no more anecdotal than yours, and no less)...

First boat - kept name, all sorts of problems.

Share boat - doesn't count.

Current boat: changed its name as soon as we could, no serious problems at all in 8 years.

Failures are absolutely nothing to do with name changes or rituals (of lack of).

In counter evidence (no more anecdotal than yours, and no less)...

First boat - kept name, all sorts of problems.

Share boat - doesn't count.

Current boat: changed its name as soon as we could, no serious problems at all in 8 years.

Failures are absolutely nothing to do with name changes or rituals (of lack of).

Bet yours isn't named after the only bit of the Lutine that Lloyds of London got back though! tongue.png

Perhaps another renaming is needed "Soaring Magpie" or similar wink.png

OMG read all your comments she is out of the water on the Lancaster Canal and in a bad way she needs a lot of TLC around £2000

she is deep in water inside which I didn't see when I bought her he told me she had been ther 12mths

the rain as got in and from what I have discovered all the floors are rotten,

the windows all leak and NO did not do a BSS or what ever its called thought I was getting a bagain

LOL Ok don't tell me ....what a prat I am but coz we can do all the work its still expensive and she was for

sale for £4,000 No did not pay that ........

so a change of name is in order

OMG read all your comments she is out of the water on the Lancaster Canal and in a bad way she needs a lot of TLC around £2000

she is deep in water inside which I didn't see when I bought her he told me she had been ther 12mths

the rain as got in and from what I have discovered all the floors are rotten,

the windows all leak and NO did not do a BSS or what ever its called thought I was getting a bagain

LOL Ok don't tell me ....what a prat I am but coz we can do all the work its still expensive and she was for

sale for £4,000 No did not pay that ........

so a change of name is in order

You don't need a change of boat name to bring you bad luck Pup, you seem to have found the ideal formula already! How do you get on crossing roads? None of that "look left, look right, look left again" nonsense for you, I'll bet. biggrin.png

Perhaps you didn't pay £4000, but it sure sounds like you're about to! Luckily, you've at least found a source of the free info you're gonna need. Maybe your luck is changing? icecream.gif

OK can someone explain what EXACTLY this thing called luck is? I've read about it in Harry Potter but I thought that magic was fictional.

"The more I practise, the luckier I get"

...Gary Player, I think. And gets to the very essence of luck...

OK can someone explain what EXACTLY this thing called luck is? I've read about it in Harry Potter but I thought that magic was fictional.

I think it depends what we mean by "luck." I think stuff like walking under ladders etc is utter twaddle.

But I do believe that I have been "lucky" (though the word "fortunate" is likely more accurate) in life, when compared to some people I know. All a game of chance I suspect.

Edited by Guest

I think it depends what we mean by "luck." I think stuff like walking under ladders etc is utter twaddle.

But I do believe that I have been "lucky" (though the word "fortunate" is likely more accurate) in life, when compared to some people I know.

Me too.

But I find myself faintly irritated when people say "Ooo you're so lucky, having a boat..."

Err no, it took a lot of hard work and effort and planning. It didn't happen by luck!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

But I do believe that I have been "lucky" (though the word "fortunate" is likely more accurate) in life, when compared to some people I know. All a game of chance I suspect.

I've always thought the not walking under a ladder is a sensible one, I mean if someone's up that ladder and happens to drop something just as your walking under said ladder......

I admit nothing to do with luck but good advice none the less :)

Me too.

But I find myself faintly irritated when people say "Ooo you're so lucky, having a boat..."

Err no, it took a lot of hard work and effort and planning. It didn't happen by luck!

Yes I have had that too. In fact a rather haughty work colleague once said "How can somebody like you afford a boat." smile.png

The simple answer is I neither smoke nor habitually drink. Plus of course the whole family fitted it out; the only way we could afford to do it, and we made a few bob on an older NB that we renovated.

Edited by Guest

I've always thought the not walking under a ladder is a sensible one, I mean if someone's up that ladder and happens to drop something just as your walking under said ladder......

I admit nothing to do with luck but good advice none the less smile.png

I believe you are spot on, and from what I have read about such superstition, there is normally a logical reason for it. One that I remember was the "don't put new shoes on a table" thing. Seems that at one time new shoes had nasty stuff on them that you wouldn't want near food. Perhaps it helped stop people from doing such things by telling them it would cause bad luck.

My mother in law always says green is an unlucky colour; I always make a point of wearing something green when we visit ;)