Is it bad luck to change the name on you boat ??

puppy999

Featured Posts

Hia all..... Well is it bad luck to change the name of your boat ???

Bad luck follows me around .......so I really don't give a hoot

what do you think and ..."WHY is a boat a she" lol

called my car a she and named her "P"

please don't be rude I am a novice

As far as I know, the name of the boat can be changed willynilly but it is traditionally accepted that the boat must be out of the water to do so. As for the she? Boats and whatever other transports are vessels that carry people and, thinking of pregnancy, women are also vessel that carry people

Happy Boating

boat.gif

defiantly not bad luck to change the ships name, its is done fairly often in the commercial world! The only bad luck is to be on the ship (as the crew) at the time as its a lot of work making sure all the paperwork and certificates are changed over, the new name painted on the ships side, lifebuoys, life boats etc etc. Its a lot of hard work trust me!

• Greenie 2

Lol FRFM she is out of the water and the guy's said same as you but need to keep the name some were on the boat

its a name that none of us could out lol

defiantly not bad luck to change the ships name, its is done fairly often in the commercial world! The only bad luck is to be on the ship (as the crew) at the time as its a lot of work making sure all the paperwork and certificates are changed over, the new name painted on the ships side, lifebuoys, life boats etc etc. Its a lot of hard work trust me!

But what if it's not readable ??

If the boat has a HIN/CIN a number on the hull then it is easy to show the history of the boat when you come to sell it, as the number is the unique identifier of the boat.

If the boat is older - before HIN/CIN became required - so does not have one - then you may want to make up a document which states the old and new names and get it witnessed so that you can prove that the boat with the new name is the same as the boat with the old name that will match the bill of sale you got when you bought the boat. These are just my random thoughts and I am not legally qualified so someone else may come along with some corrections.

puppy999,

Are you asking because you are thinking of buying a boat with a cr@p name? Perhaps one of those that folk think is clever and unique and then find there are hundreds of similarly naff named boats on the cut? If so changing the name is both good luck and obligatory.

JP

• Greenie 3

Yes,

In evidence:

Ripple - my first boat, no name change and no trouble

Juno - my second boat, no name change and no trouble (beyond that caused by my own neglect!)

Lutine Bell, previously Cream Cheese, Lutine Belle (I know), Chunky and a name when new that is now lost in the mists of time: leaks, engine overheats, gearbox failed, twin lever became detached...

You boats don't have names, they has numbers.

German Unterseeboots or Underseaboats did only have numbers, but each sub had it's own artwork on the conning tower (Sail)

0a0a0723fa81db5f20eb211fe2f228cf.jpg

0a954af195c24120ad17396dacc32103.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

Just to be on the safe side, use one of the ritual renaming ceremonies.

Some require you make a libation to Neptune / Poseidon / Davy Jones / The Sugar Plum Fairy / Whoever. Others require singing and drinking.

All of them seem to involve alcoholic beverages, which should be easy enough to arrange.

To change the name you have to perform the following ritual.

1. Inform your licensing authority and insurers that as of "date" boat no " nnnnnnnnn , old name" will be known as " new name"

2. Remove old name

3. Apply new name

If on the Thames you need to check the new name hasn't already been used, some names might not be welcomed by some authorities, I suspect Mayday wouldn't go down well in some quarters.

Worked for us when Mary Flo became Grace

Top Cat

We had a lovely family day out when we re-named our boat. I googled for traditions and ideas then wrote a short speech that involved several tings on the bell to denote a toast. We moored up in a quiet spot and 2 bottles of champers later we were on our merry way. A small amount of champers was poured on the bow in place of the bottle smashing.

All good fun

• Greenie 1

I asked a similar question on here about 15 years ago and went ahead and changed the name of our boat. We did it out of the water.

The other advice from a superstition point of view not mentioned here so far is to have something in the boat acknowledging the previous name. We put up a little plaque on the engine room bulkhead saying "Jethro, previously named 'Mischief".

Seemed to work ok, as Jethro didn't sink after the name change.

• Greenie 1

I had a small boat when I was 17 and changed the name afloat. A roof fell on me when I was 41, so obviously it is bad luck to do so..

Also green is an unlucky colour don't ya know?

Edited by Guest

I had a small boat when I was 17 and changed the name afloat. A roof fell on me when I was 41, so obviously it is bad luck to do so..

Also green is an unlucky colour don't ya know?

Yeahbut is it also unlucky to change the colour of a boat?

I understand from 5 years at sea that it is only NAUTICAL folk-lore that requires care and proper ceremony. Narrowboats didn't really count.

I'd say that is a half-truth.

If you feck up a name change on a proper ship and the bad luck sinks it, many souls might be lost.

If you do the same on a narrow boat and it sinks, a couple of people just get wet ankles.

• Greenie 1