Yamaha f9.9a broken clip

Featured Posts

Yesterday was our first chance for a few weeks to get a day out cruising but as we reversed out of our berth we lost power. We managed to get back into the berth and discovered that the problem was a broken clip that connects the throttle linkage to the engine. Superglue failed to repair it.

Does anyone know who might stock one of these pesky little things please?

We will drive to anywhere local-ish or I'm hoping one could be posted to us.

We are based in Nottingham and Lincs Marine Services has been suggested but they are closed today.

Meanwhile precious boating days are slipping away.

Yamaha f9.9a around 25yrs old

I'm not very tech minded so have no idea what it's proper name is or whether it's specific to this engine or a generic part that would be more widely available

Some Marriner OB parts are interchangeable with Yamahano idea if there is a similar badged model. I would have thought Sawley Marina OB sales & service would be able to fix you up

Thanks X Alan W, we're hoping it might be a common part. O/H is going on the hunt for one today. Fingers crossed that somewhere local will have one though it wouldn't altogether surprise me if he came home with a new (maybe re-conditioned) outboard instead

I think that's it, it's white (not that colour matters) about 2cm long with a sort of a cup shape on one end. Looks like it had been fractured for some time. Luckily it gave way whist we were leaving our berth and not on the river.

Thanks for the link

Edited by Bearsteen

Right we're getting somewhere now, it's the other end that we need but thanks for the link Watersnail

Edit to add update

Lincs Marine are ordering a clip for us as it needs to come from Holland due to the age of the outboard.

If we manage to source one locally this will be handy to keep as a spare.

Correct term is: Carb connector - throttle linkage (I believe)

Edited by Bearsteen

A temp repair has been effected with superglue and when he had freed his fingers from the engine it was found to work so we managed a gentle potter up the canal last night.

Waiting now for the spare to arrive so we can go proper boating again.

Many thanks for the help given

• 1 month later...

To give an update to the saga (why is nothing ever simple?)

A clip was ordered from Lincs Marine Services but after a week or two it became obvious it was not going to materialize so O/H ordered one from an Amazon partner in Japan. It arrived a few days later and is a genuine Yamaha part. Fitted to the boat in minutes and we are sailing again. The part is very slightly longer than the broken one but is fine.

If LMS ever get back to us we will have a spare.