Engine trouble after 7 months dry docked: advice needed

Featured Posts

Thank you for all you're kind replies!!!!

I've called a local mobile engineer out to take a look just to be on the safe side.I'll be watching his every move and asking as many questions as poss so to learn as much and maybe start to tackle some problems myself in future.

I'll also politely point out the potential problems as stated, just to give him a head start :P

I'll inform the post with progress later

Wise decision. Look forward to hearing what the answer was, it's quite frustrating if one of these threads just dies.

Thank you for all you're kind replies!!!!

I've called a local mobile engineer out to take a look just to be on the safe side.I'll be watching his every move and asking as many questions as poss so to learn as much and maybe start to tackle some problems myself in future.

I'll also politely point out the potential problems as stated, just to give him a head start tongue.png

I'll inform the post with progress later

Sounds a good move. Please keep the board posted on developments as sometimes we never hear back, especially once a problem was solved, which can be quite disappointing. We all like to hear the outcome!

I have the feeling you'll be back with more questions though, based on what the engineer* says.

* I must say though, an engineer isn't necessarily the best person for fault tracing. A diesel technician or mechanic is better. Many of them call themselves engineers though, even when they're not.

Incorrect use of words...not ticking over but trying to start, making the engine starting sound. Brilliantly clever sarcastic remark! Well done you

Why thank you.closedeyes.gif

However you need help, you've asked for some and not bothered to read back what you've written, at least you've rethought it through enabling others to now help you.

I agree with others it's likely to be water.

Fuel oil floats on water so any in your tank will sink to the bottom where the fuel line exits. Having started the engine you've now pulled contaminated fuel through to the delicate bits like injector pumps and injectors.

That now leaves you in a worse position than you were before. They need draining immediately.

If you can't do it, get someone in who can. Good Luck

The Fuel filler cap may have been letting rainwater in all Winter?

Does anybody know if the locking fuel caps, the ones with a keyhole set in the middle of the cap, are truly waterproof? I can't think how a lock barrel could operate the mechanism in a way that would keep the water out if it were to enter the keyhole.

I also think it is water in the fuel tank.

Fairly easy to check, just get some plastic tubing and push it into the fuel filler until it reaches the bottom of the tank. If the tubing isn't rigid enough to reach the bottom, tie it to a bamboo cane or similar.

When it reaches the bottom of the bottom of the tank, put your thumb over the end and withdraw. This will keep the fuel/water in the tube until you release your thumb.

If there is water in the tank, you will see red diesel at the top and clear water at the bottom of the tubing.

This way you don't have to mess with filters, although you will if water is present.

Edited to add the last paragraph.

Edited by cuthound

Does anybody know if the locking fuel caps, the ones with a keyhole set in the middle of the cap, are truly waterproof? I can't think how a lock barrel could operate the mechanism in a way that would keep the water out if it were to enter the keyhole.

Surely its the same as millions of motorbike fuel filler caps that work just fine?

How tidily was the boat lifted out & in? Could crud/water in the tank have been disturbed?

Back in 1980 something when Blisworth Tunnel was closed I had my boat craned round. After going back in, a short distance up the canal the engine started playing up, and after a while the revs were rising and falling at random, regardless of the throttle lever position. It turned out the liftout had shaken up the crap in the bottom of the tank, which had blocked the main fuel filter, which had then failed allowing dirt into the fine mesh filter on the injector pump inlet. With the main filter replaced and the injector pump filter cleaned (and the dirt all nicely settled on the bottom of the tank again), the engine once again ran sweetly.

Back in 1980 something when Blisworth Tunnel was closed I had my boat craned round. After going back in, a short distance up the canal the engine started playing up, and after a while the revs were rising and falling at random, regardless of the throttle lever position. It turned out the liftout had shaken up the crap in the bottom of the tank, which had blocked the main fuel filter, which had then failed allowing dirt into the fine mesh filter on the injector pump inlet. With the main filter replaced and the injector pump filter cleaned (and the dirt all nicely settled on the bottom of the tank again), the engine once again ran sweetly.

I have heard of a couple of narrowboats doing similar when taken on lumpy water.

Interesting video.

They can't get it to start without priming automatic transmission oil direct into the cylinders and covering the inlet with a petrol soaked rag.

And when it does start up it blows smoke (Blue? I'm colour blind).

So in essence the compression is down.

He then talks about new tyres and brakes, it could of course be only piston rings, but I think I'd add a new lump onto his list. unsure.png