Navigational difficulties leaving Lock 97 (Hanwell Bottom Lock on the GU)

Theo

Featured Posts

From Brent Corridor Improvement plan

"Historically the river would have meandered, particularly in the upper part of the catchment, while

the lower part was once extensive marshland. But as London expanded, the river suffered. The
only significant stretches that still keep their original shape can be found in the open spaces
along the Dollis Brook and parts of the River Brent in Ealing.
Throughout the rest of the catchment, the river has been changed out of all recognition.
There are four major railway routes, plus the M1 and the M4. Many industrial estates and dense
housing developments are built right up to the edge of the river. After such a urban development,
it is no wonder much of the river is straightened, in artificial channels, or disappears from view in
lengthy culverts (underground tunnels) like those beneath the A40 and North Circular Road, or
under major railways near Neasden and Stonebridge. There are a great many other structures too
like bridges, outfalls (drainage pipes), weirs, and even an aqueduct.
Development has changed the way that water drains into the river. There is greater risk of flood-
ing as the rain runs rapidly off roofs, concrete and tarmac and finds its way more quickly into the
rivers via a vast network of drains. This has led to the river being over-engineered in places to
contain it. The surface runoff of rain takes with it all the contaminants it collects on the way
(including pollutants like diesel from roads), and can overload the sewer system, adding to other
pollution problems from industry and homes.
The legacy we have inherited is a polluted and heavily modified river with a great deal of unnatu-
ral bed or bank. There Is little room for wildlife in or around the river, plus many barriers to move-
ment up and down. Where there is habitat for wildlife, it has to compete with invasive species
(plants and animals that have been introduced by humans). People have limited opportunities to
visit and enjoy the river or natural areas around it."
Edited by mark99

I can hear music :rolleyes:

"...and I'm standing by a river but the water doesn't flow - it boils with every poison you can think of"

Does the M25 cross it somewhere

Edited by magnetman

Is the Brent here still navigable? I rememnber it being promomted as a branch back in the 1980s, with a boat rally held there once and small craft able to get up to Hanwell bridge.

I regularly paddle canoes and kayaks up the Brent from it's junction with the GU. On a good day (medium water levels) I can get to Hangar Lane where there is a weir that I cannot get up. It is a very interesting 'explore'. I have often thought that the Brent must have once been navigable up to Hanwell road bridge - it is deep enough and there seems to be something reminiscent of a wharf just beside the bridge. Past that, going towards the railway viaduct, it changes dramatically, it suddenly becomes shallow and narrow. Is there any historical reference to a navigation to Hanwell?

I once got my narrowboat about half way to Hanwell Bridge but eventually couldn't get past the overhanging trees.

And the suggestion that the EA is responsible for dredging the canal seems incorrect to me - the obstruction is in the canal.

I regularly paddle canoes and kayaks up the Brent from it's junction with the GU. On a good day (medium water levels) I can get to Hangar Lane where there is a weir that I cannot get up. It is a very interesting 'explore'. I have often thought that the Brent must have once been navigable up to Hanwell road bridge - it is deep enough and there seems to be something reminiscent of a wharf just beside the bridge. Past that, going towards the railway viaduct, it changes dramatically, it suddenly becomes shallow and narrow. Is there any historical reference to a navigation to Hanwell?

I once got my narrowboat about half way to Hanwell Bridge but eventually couldn't get past the overhanging trees.

And the suggestion that the EA is responsible for dredging the canal seems incorrect to me - the obstruction is in the canal.

I would say that is debatable as surly it is actually part of the River Brent just there .

Yesterday afternoon we left the lock heading toward Brentford. The R. Brent flows in from the left (towpath side) just below the lock. There is a short lock landing on the towpath side of the lock tail where SWMBO reembarked. We left in the normal fashion taking the middle of what appeared to the be channel and all was well until just after we had passed the place where the river and cut meet. At this point we ran hard aground on the stuff that the river had left as it changes course. ...

We came very close to getting trapped on those shallows below Hanwell bottom lock the first time we headed down onto the Thames in 2010. Since then I've used the experience as a 'mental template' and avoid cruising close to the bank just below where any sizeable stream joins a canal. A similar thing happens just below Copse Lock on the K&A where the River Kennet joins the canal.

I'd imagine that spot below the where the Brent joins would need dredging on an annual basis to keep it navigable. But it's a nice piece of 'local knowledge' you're not likely to forget!

I regularly paddle canoes and kayaks up the Brent from it's junction with the GU. On a good day (medium water levels) I can get to Hangar Lane where there is a weir that I cannot get up. It is a very interesting 'explore'. ...

I once got my narrowboat about half way to Hanwell Bridge but eventually couldn't get past the overhanging trees. ...

That stretch feels strangely remote. Isn't that where a body was found a year or two back?

That stretch feels strangely remote. Isn't that where a body was found a year or two back?

Just by the canal / river junction, beside the bottom lock, the body of Alice Gross was found. Her killer hanged himself downstream below Clithero's Lock. Very sad.

I can hear music rolleyes.gif

"...and I'm standing by a river but the water doesn't flow - it boils with every poison you can think of"

I can hear music too, unfortunately it's Banjo'sunsure.png

I can hear music rolleyes.gif

The catchment area of the Brent extends well up into north London to Harrow/Edgware/Barnet, but it's all within the M25.

Well that's interesting. I have just had an email from the EA:

Hi Chris (Funny how lots of people think that my name is Chris even though I sign myself as Nick!)

This is not one for us. We go down as far as Teddington Lock on the river Thames. Please check the website for more information.

It may be The canal and river trust that you need to contact.

Kind Regards
Waterways Team
Environment Agency.

So who does have responsibility for this bit of the inland waterways? I would imagine that it is really CRT. They are responsible for the navigable bits os the Soar while the EA look after the meanders that aren't navigable. This would seem to be the same situation.

nick

I have just done a search for " Hanwell" whilst checking for mooring spots and the forum came up with this thread. I very much wish I had done the search before we also ran heavily aground on that "shingle" bank this morning.

We were very grateful for the volunteers helping us up the flight in good style, but whilst they were letting the previous boat out of the flight, they actually watched us run aground. If we didn't have loads of power in hand, we would still be there, it was so solid.

The blackness of the water we stirred up was reminiscent of the old Bradford branch of the L & L before they shut it for public health reasons.

But the volunteers were excellent, and actually did some overtime to see us through, so now we are in the fresh air again by Bull's bridge. Thanks very much.

Just received a reply from CRT saying that its EA's responsibility. All the locks are painted in CRT colours. Is it not that CRT is responsible for the navigation channel and EA for the bits that aren't navigable?

N

Well that's interesting. I have just had an email from the EA:

So who does have responsibility for this bit of the inland waterways? I would imagine that it is really CRT. They are responsible for the navigable bits os the Soar while the EA look after the meanders that aren't navigable. This would seem to be the same situation.

nick

Of course it's C&RT, . . . the canal at that point is part of the main line of the GJC, for which they are unquestionably the navigation authority.

C&RT are simply telling lies, . . . as usual, and it is worth noting that every yard of the navigation Northward from the Brent's confluence with the Thames is claimed by C&RT as "their waters" when seeking Court Orders and Injunctions against boaters selected for special treatment.

Tony is obviously absolutely correct, and dredging there is the responsibility of C&RT. BWB used to dredge it regularly when they had the plant, staff and dredging tips for such operations, all now disposed of in the interest of "operational efficiency" of course. When we were barrel boating the worst stretch was the short 'dead' section where the Brent goes off sideways over a weir just above Osterley Lock (as mentioned by WJM post 20). The lack of flow meant it silts up very quickly and all the floating crap piles up, making it very difficult to ever get both gates fully open to get a pair in abreast. We knew when we took Friesland from Bulls Bridge to France in 1995 we would never have enough depth to get back again even should we ever want to.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

Went through there last Thursday and the obstruction seems to have gone, could have been due to the CRT dredger that went past us at Brentford the night before or the huge amount of water overflowing the bottom gate. It was there 2 weeks before. It wouldn't suprise me that the silt comes back quickly when it rains heavily. We met 3 of the vol lock keeps at South Norwood top lock. It seems you have to ring for assistance if you want it. Btw it seems CRT have renamed the top lock as Hanwell Lock for that is what the sign says.