Buckby lock No 8

nigel carton

Featured Posts

I dare say, with the unawareness that a rising boat's bow could lift the boat, it would happen quite quickly - in that the boat would rise, then the boat & gate would rise together for a handful of seconds, then it would be too late (the gate being lifted, would allow water underneath and accelerate the rate of rising/lock filling even though its nearly full).

Whilst of course its easy to lay blame at the boater, if they're unaware this is possible to happen then you can't really have too much negativity cast towards them - it could happen to almost anyone, after all. Just unlucky to be the boater concerned who assumed riding the front of the gate would be okay. And yes, the boat would need to be slightly skewed from straight but with one boat back and another forwards, its entirely possible.

Since its not rocket science to identify the boat (publically isn't important.....) then I believe CRT should make an insurance claim against them, after all it would save CRT's funds and everyone has third party insurance, right?

CRT on site. They have got the boats out but having trouble with the gate! Heavy lifting gear seems to be a trolley jack, blocks of wood, chains and six big blokes! Had to leave before it was done but lots of head scratching. I see CRT have just updated the closure notice

post-14454-0-04511300-1464015779_thumb.jpgpost-14454-0-90087500-1464015801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arphamoe

I must say I was surprised that a boat could lift a gate like that. I'd always assumed that the boat would stay pinned down and take on water.

I wonder how many of us have near misses & get away with it more by luck than judgement. How many of us have been distracted then thought, "aargh, the cill!" only to see that we've missed it by a fraction.

I caught the counter of my boat on a bolthead on the lower gates last winter but it popped off before I could get to the paddles. At least I noticed though before it was too late. I've caught the strake on the lock sides more than once, if it happens three times then I'm more of a fool than I thought.

Would help it the fenders are not chained on and the week link needs to be very week, those top gates probably weigh less than 2 tons without the buoyancy of the water. so the link needs to snap at probably less than half a ton load to let the fender fall away..

I must say I was surprised that a boat could lift a gate like that. I'd always assumed that the boat would stay pinned down and take on water.

With the bow of the boat held down a few inches there's a few tons of lift applied to the gate. And as the level in the lock approaches full, the horizontal pressure on the gates reduces, and with it the frictional forces between the gate and the quoin and cill. So there comes a point when the boat 'wins' and the gate lifts. And it only has to lift a few inches before the pintle on the bottom of the gate is free and the bottom of the gate can move sideways, while the strap at the top holds the top of the gate in position. And the result is what you see here.

Edited by David Mack

With the bow of the boat held down a few inches there's a few tons of lift applied to the gate. And as the level in the lock approaches full, the horizontal pressure on the gates reduces, and with it the frictional forces between the gate and the quoin and cill. So there comes a point when the boat 'wins' and the gate lifts. And it only has to lift a few inches before the pintle on the bottom of the gate is free and the bottom of the gate can move sideways, while the strap at the top holds the top of the gate in position. And the result is what you see here.

From my experience in Chester Lock I think I'd tend to agree with you that this is most likely to happen as the lock is almost full and the pressure on the gates is at it's least. My own scenario was that the lock crew of the other boat (two of us were going up together)opened the paddles fully immediately and the flow of water, despite putting my boat into hard astern, drew my boat onto the gate. The bow button caught under one of the metal cross pieces and before I had chance to even call out to shut the paddles the chain broke which released the boat. Since then I have always made sure that at least one of the chain links is sawn halfway through to make certain that it breaks.huh.png

Our bow fender is attached to the top fixing point by a medium weight nylon line with an eye splice in each end. If the fender gets trapped in the gate, the line parts well before the gate lifts. I carry a spare so the repair is a matter of minutes if it should happen.

As recommended by the nice guy at Tradline (forgotten his name for the moment). It also saves faffing about with poly tube to protect the paint from a chain and shackle arrangement.

For anyone interested this is what the 'other' end looks like - a 'pintle' and 'cup' that was on display at the Stoke Bruerne Open Day in February-16. For a scale of size I think the bricks work as well as anything.

post-16597-0-88481300-1464076442_thumb.jpg

I spoke to Lee King at the lock this morning. Plant should arrive tomorrow, and they'll put stop planks in so they can have a look at the underwater part of the gate. Then they'll be able to see what they're doing. He says there are about three options they have for getting the gate back in place, and they'll try whichever one looks most likely to succeed. The plan is that if they can get the gate in place, they'll then fix it into position -- so (like the lock last year) it will be just one boat at a time. All the focus is on getting the lock open so people can get to Crick. We're at the bottom, and reckon we're tenth in the queue -- so if they do get it open for Thursday, that's not too bad.

I spoke to Lee King at the lock this morning. Plant should arrive tomorrow, and they'll put stop planks in so they can have a look at the underwater part of the gate. Then they'll be able to see what they're doing. He says there are about three options they have for getting the gate back in place, and they'll try whichever one looks most likely to succeed. The plan is that if they can get the gate in place, they'll then fix it into position -- so (like the lock last year) it will be just one boat at a time. All the focus is on getting the lock open so people can get to Crick. We're at the bottom, and reckon we're tenth in the queue -- so if they do get it open for Thursday, that's not too bad.

Lets hope they run 2 boats at a time then and not single narrow boats.

Lee King is an appropriate name for that particular lock. Perhaps they can try to stop it LeeKing so much.

Just spoken to someone who's been up to the lock this afternoon. Stop planks are in, the lock has been drained, and the bottom of the gate isn't as damaged as they'd feared. It may go back in tomorrow morning, so a best case scenario would be that the flight is open again in the afternoon. That, of course, is if everything goes as planned.

Update on 25/05/2016:

The gate is now in place with a few minor adjustments required and the site will be cleared to allow navigation to be re-opened.

Staff will be on-site to re-open the navigation this afternoon.

Well done CRT.

More from C&RT:

The balance beam is broken and only one lock gate can be used to access in and out of Lock 8. Narrow beams should not have a problem using the lock with only one of the gates but wide beams will need assistance from staff at the Canal & River Trust. This must be booked 24 hours in advance of when you would like to use the lock. It will not be possible to provide assistance outside of normal office hours or at weekends. Please contact us on 01908 302515 or email enquiries.southeast@canalrivertrust.org.uk