Dan Brown's boat "Tilly" for sale on Apollo Duck

magictime

Featured Posts

Many members of this forum will no doubt be familiar with Dan Brown ('The Narrowboat Lad') from his YouTube videos and/or Kindle books about life on board his 30ft Springer, Tilly.

Well, I notice that Tilly is now up for sale on Apollo Duck. From what I can gather (from his Facebook & YouTube), Dan is taking break from boating for a few months to get some money saved up and mull over his options for the future (which he does expect to include boating one way or another).

Anyway, for anyone who's curious or who feels like buying themselves a 'famous' boat on a budget, here's the listing for Tilly:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=473372

For this realistic price it won't be for sale for long I would think.

It may end up in London, and offered for sale there for double the money.

Dan loved his little boat, and I've always admired his enthusiasm.

Peter.

WTF is Dan Brown.?

Anyone who's gone on YouTube or Amazon and searched for something like "living on a narrowboat" will have found him hard to avoid! He's written several Kindle books and produced hundreds of YouTube videos, and as such is a fairly prominent "evangelist" for a certain sort of simple, rural, low-cost boat living.

For this realistic price it won't be for sale for long I would think.

It may end up in London, and offered for sale there for double the money.

Dan loved his little boat, and I've always admired his enthusiasm.

Peter.

Exactly. As he'll have maintained the boat very well (there are probably multiple videos on YouTube detailing the work), it sounds like a bargain at 10K. I'm not yet in the market to buy a boat, as I find I get nearly enough boating by crewing for others, or I'd be tempted. I'm sure bargemast is right and that Dan Brown is missing out on the recently discussed London Premium by selling the boat in Shropshire.

Speculating wildly, I'm picturing Dan Brown as one of those people whose reaction to the mention of London is (in some heavy local accent) "I don't go there, went there once and it's too busy for my liking". They have a point.

Exactly. As he'll have maintained the boat very well (there are probably multiple videos on YouTube detailing the work), it sounds like a bargain at 10K. I'm not yet in the market to buy a boat, as I find I get nearly enough boating by crewing for others, or I'd be tempted. I'm sure bargemast is right and that Dan Brown is missing out on the recently discussed London Premium by selling the boat in Shropshire.

Speculating wildly, I'm picturing Dan Brown as one of those people whose reaction to the mention of London is (in some heavy local accent) "I don't go there, went there once and it's too busy for my liking". They have a point.

By what I know of Dan, after having watched many of his videos and having bought one of his books, I think you're probably right, he wouldn't be interested in London, he like the better air-quality of the countryside while riding one of his much loved bicycles.

He's more then happy with simple things in life, and isn't trying by all means to become a wealthy person, he's happy with what he has, and doesn't seem to be the slightest bit jealous of people that are better of than he is.

You won't find many (young) people with such a good attitude.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

A man after my own heart if he is!

London for us is a train ride to get to Twickers. Only needed to do it twice!

We did the touristy bit 10 years and more ago, no interest in the place whatsoever these days.

I worked in and around London for 42 years, and lived about 15 miles out of the centre.

Now my only interest is recognising bits of it in films (which even though we left there in early 2014 is surprisingly difficult, such is the pace of building development).

During a tube strike in 2012, I had reason to walk from Waterloo to the DLR Tower Gateway station.

It involved walking along Upper Thames Street, where my office was based from 1990 to 2001. For about a quarter of a mile I didn't recognise a single building, but knew where the roads went. A strange feeling indeed.

I worked in and around London for 42 years, and lived about 15 miles out of the centre.

Now my only interest is recognising bits of it in films (which even though we left there in early 2014 is surprisingly difficult, such is the pace of building development).

During a tube strike in 2012, I had reason to walk from Waterloo to the DLR Tower Gateway station.

It involved walking along Upper Thames Street, where my office was based from 1990 to 2001. For about a quarter of a mile I didn't recognise a single building, but knew where the roads went. A strange feeling indeed.

When me and Mrs Gazza (then Miss H) first started seeing each other we used to go down for shopping trips, theatre etc. Used to stop in a hotel just off Russell Square for the British Museum. I enjoyed it to a point but it just seems such an unfriendly place now.

I started dislike the place when St Pancras was no longer our gateway to the City, it's been given over to the Eurostar, we disembark in a glass lean to and have to trudge to the station proper!

In the last 4 years we have passed thru to pick the new car up from Sway and been to Twickenham twice, came home empty handed in controversial circumstances and also came home winner's in controversial circumstances.

Sadly, Northampton have been a bit poor this term and never looked like making the final.

It will be the only reason we have to go to the smoke these day's, and probably won't be that often!!

For contrast, check out the latest clown boat for sale there. No safety issues at all..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/45-1991-steel-narrowboat-864-hull-recently-surveyed-and-recent-refit/1164049256

I especially liked this bit!

"GAS: The boat will be sold with the gas system disconnected. It has a gas oven and a gas instant water heater which both work fine but I don't have the certs to gurantee. If you decide to hook it back up that is your choice, both have been fine for me!"

A man after my own heart if he is!

London for us is a train ride to get to Twickers. Only needed to do it twice!

We did the touristy bit 10 years and more ago, no interest in the place whatsoever these days.

Dr Johnson said: "A man who is tired of London is tired of life."

I don't agree with Dr Johnson.

N

Edited by Theo

Is that boat for sure a Springer? The square stern design was out of use by the late 80's, I thought.

Also in the dock pic, it appears to have a flat bottomed hull?

/Unrelated, I'd be happy to sell my lovely, well maintained, non-overplated with sound hull 30ft Springer for 20k... Close offers accepted.

Edited by Starcoaster

Is that boat for sure a Springer? The square stern design was out of use by the late 80's, I thought.

Also in the dock pic, it appears to have a flat bottomed hull?

/Unrelated, I'd be happy to sell my lovely, well maintained, non-overplated with sound hull 30ft Springer for 20k... Close offers accepted.

Hello Starry,

Sam Springer has made many boats with a flat bottom too.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Hi all just a bit confused here have been on a website which had Dan Brown narrow boat for sale or am I missing the plot http://www.boatshopuk.co.uk/index.php/page/sale-boat/boat_index/0972

I thought he was selling it on a apollo-duck. . Was just wondering if this site is for real..

Sorry if I am off topic

Edited by Sligoman