Newbie thinking of a 12v freezer...

AdamG

Featured Posts

Hi

I like cooking and I've got myself a nice new New World 55cm LPG cooker which is great. I've only been living aboard for getting on for 3 weeks and so far, I've been eating flippin' ready meals! Admittedly, we have a fantastic new chef at work and her food is irresistible so I'm actually eating well - too well!

Thing is, when I was living on the boring old land, I used to cook up some seriously good meals. And, because in a former life I used to cook for between 5 and 10 people on a regular basis, I used to make meals in kind of 8-portion quantities (I know what the quantity of all ingredients is for 8 people). I did the same for the last 3 years when I was living on my own. I'd eat one, stick one in the fridge and 6 portions in the freezer. So, at any one time, I'd have maybe 12-15 meals in the freezer of 4 or 5 different cuisines - couple of spectacular chilli's, a belting curry or two, utterly delicious creamy chicken, bacon and garlic casseroles, humdinging beef in red wine and maybe a warming goulash, lasagne or hotpot.

So, I want to do the same on my nb. Luckily, there was a 12v fridge on board when I bought my boat but it only has a weedy ice box. I want to go out and about on the cut quite often, so it would seem that a 12v freezer is the only option to keep my meals frozen whilst on the move.

I don't really have the room (or budget!) for a standard under-counter or top-of-counter freezer, so I'm looking at maybe a Waeco portable chap like this...

http://www.minicoolers.co.uk/products/waeco/cf26.htm

Whilst this is still expensive, it's a couple of hundred sovs cheaper than, say, a Shoreline under-counter freezer and will probably just about have the capacity that I'm after.

So, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions either regarding this model or alternatives?

Cheers

Adam

If the 25 litre capacity is enough for you then go for it. Do remember that the Shoreline under counter freezer has a capacity of 80 litres. The one thing you must consider is this, are you able to keep up with the extra power demands.

We have a 110ltr larder fridge and a 80ltr freezer, both 12v under counter models and we need our 300watt PV array to help run them, as long as you are aware of the increased demand and work at it, you should be OK

Phil

If the 25 litre capacity is enough for you then go for it. Do remember that the Shoreline under counter freezer has a capacity of 80 litres. The one thing you must consider is this, are you able to keep up with the extra power demands.

We have a 110ltr larder fridge and a 80ltr freezer, both 12v under counter models and we need our 300watt PV array to help run them, as long as you are aware of the increased demand and work at it, you should be OK

Phil

Thanks Phil

For now, because I have that dull thing called a job, I'll be mostly going off on weekend jaunts, only staying on 12v for probably one night - or two on a bank hol. I think that if I'm going out for longer, I'll either book into marinas so I can hook up to mains elec or plan ahead (ha ha!) and empty the freezer before I depart (or at least, use up the meals in the first couple of days or so). I don't have solar panels at the moment, but would these enable the freezer to stay operational if, say, I moored up for a few days off grid?

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Phil

For now, because I have that dull thing called a job, I'll be mostly going off on weekend jaunts, only staying on 12v for probably one night - or two on a bank hol. I think that if I'm going out for longer, I'll either book into marinas so I can hook up to mains elec or plan ahead (ha ha!) and empty the freezer before I depart (or at least, use up the meals in the first couple of days or so). I don't have solar panels at the moment, but would these enable the freezer to stay operational if, say, I moored up for a few days off grid?

Cheers

Adam

At this time of year, a decent sized solar array will run a fridge and a freezer. In december, no chance.

Do you have an inverter on the boat, If you have and are going to be on the mains for 95% of the time then a 240 volt model would be a lot cheaper.

Yes, I have a 1000w inverter and you make a very good point. I have no idea what a 240v freezer would draw off the batteries through the inverter though. Assuming that I ran very little else through the inverter when on the move, what do you reckon to it lasting a couple of days or so?

Cheers

Adam

Yes, I have a 1000w inverter and you make a very good point. I have no idea what a 240v freezer would draw off the batteries through the inverter though. Assuming that I ran very little else through the inverter when on the move, what do you reckon to it lasting a couple of days or so?

Cheers

Adam

How much battery capacity have you got? that is what limits how long the freezer will run without a recharge.

My undercounter 240Volt fridge-freezer draws 5amps for an average of 15 minuites every hour with a surge draw of 45 amps for an 20th of a second when the compressor starts. On average it uses about 40 amps per day. As for killing the battries, I'm stil using the four that I brought off Vince in 2010.

My undercounter 240Volt fridge-freezer draws 5amps for an average of 15 minuites every hour with a surge draw of 45 amps for an 20th of a second when the compressor starts. On average it uses about 40 amps per day. As for killing the battries, I'm stil using the four that I brought off Vince in 2010.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert regarding all this electrics business but if I've got this right, drawing 40 Amps per day would mean that with, say, a 120 Ah battery if you were running nothing else, your 240v fridge-freezer would keep going for 3 days. Is that correct?

If so, with a bank of 3 x 110 Ah batts, so 330 Ah, would that mean there's a good chance that a 240v freezer would keep going for a few days, even when other things are drawing off the batteries? Of course, pootling along the cut will charge the batteries to a degree, making them last longer so as long as you're not stationary for too long stuff should keep going?

I haven't got solar panels yet, but they're on my list...

Cheers

Adam

I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert regarding all this electrics business but if I've got this right, drawing 40 Amps per day would mean that with, say, a 120 Ah battery if you were running nothing else, your 240v fridge-freezer would keep going for 3 days. Is that correct?

In theory - yes. However in the real world NO.

A battery should ideally only be discharged to 50% of its capacity.

You can discharge it more but it does more 'damage' and cannot recover 'fully'

A battery only has its stated capacity whilst new, a battery loses capacity with use, and, if not recharged back to 100% every time it increase the 'lost' capacity.

In reality a 120Ah battery at 1 year old maybe has a capacity of 80Ah, then you should only discharge it by 50% giving you a useful capacity of 40Ah (or one days usage of your freezer) - assuming no pumps, lights, tv, phone charger etc are used.

In theory - yes. However in the real world NO.

A battery should ideally only be discharged to 50% of its capacity.

You can discharge it more but it does more 'damage' and cannot recover 'fully'

A battery only has its stated capacity whilst new, a battery loses capacity with use, and, if not recharged back to 100% every time it increase the 'lost' capacity.

In reality a 120Ah battery at 1 year old maybe has a capacity of 80Ah, then you should only discharge it by 50% giving you a useful capacity of 40Ah (or one days usage of your freezer) - assuming no pumps, lights, tv, phone charger etc are used.

Thanks Alan - I had a feeling that there was something to do with not running them down too far. The batts I have are brand new, so with 330 Ah, I suppose I could only rely on them for a couple of days running down to maybe 50% with other things running too. This would be ok for most of the time with me only going out for weekends, but for a hol of a few days or more, it wouldn't really work.

Just trying to save a couple of hundred quid or more by buying a 240v freezer as opposed to a 12v...

Thanks Alan - I had a feeling that there was something to do with not running them down too far. The batts I have are brand new, so with 330 Ah, I suppose I could only rely on them for a couple of days running down to maybe 50% with other things running too. This would be ok for most of the time with me only going out for weekends, but for a hol of a few days or more, it wouldn't really work.

Just trying to save a couple of hundred quid or more by buying a 240v freezer as opposed to a 12v...

But if you are going out for a couple of day I suspect you may be running your engine and hence charging the batteries up again. I don't think the time difference between a 12 volt and 240 volt fridge will be that great.

But if you are going out for a couple of day I suspect you may be running your engine and hence charging the batteries up again. I don't think the time difference between a 12 volt and 240 volt fridge will be that great.

I think you're right DC. I reckon a little counter-top freezer for around a hundred sovs would be worth a go. When funds allow, I'm going to get solar fitted which will also help and the lolly I'll be saving by buying a 240v freezer as opposed to a 12v can go towards it!

I think you're right DC. I reckon a little counter-top freezer for around a hundred sovs would be worth a go. When funds allow, I'm going to get solar fitted which will also help and the lolly I'll be saving by buying a 240v freezer as opposed to a 12v can go towards it!

Exactly what we did.

Freezer from Argos (£80 from memory) run from the inverter - you can get a lot of 'electric' for the £500 saved by not buying a 12v freezer.

You obviously enjoy cooking. As you only intend weekend boat use for now I would prepare meals in smaller amounts and eat the lot over the weekend. Spend your money on getting a solar set up up and running, so your ready to have a freezer on board when you start going out for longer periods. Food always tastes better fresh anyway, in my opinion. Ian .

You obviously enjoy cooking. As you only intend weekend boat use for now I would prepare meals in smaller amounts and eat the lot over the weekend. Spend your money on getting a solar set up up and running, so your ready to have a freezer on board when you start going out for longer periods. Food always tastes better fresh anyway, in my opinion. Ian .

Hi Ian

I live aboard so need some kind of permanent arrangement. I'm only going 12v for a short period - mostly weekends at the moment - so I've now bought a counter-top 240v feezer...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FLTUUYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most of the time it'll be running on 240v from the landline and on trips out the inverter should keep it going with the engine re-charging the batteries as I go. I'll definitely get solar panels at some point and I reckon this is a good set up. If it's not up to the job, well, I'll sell the freezer and get a 12v chap.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam.

I've considered a 12 v freezer myself: like you, my fridge only has a smallish ice box, which will keep frozen food for a couple of weeks.

Reading your posts, I guess that your plan is to FREEZE what you have cooked and for that I believe you need a four star rated freezer.

Is that what you have bought?

Cheers,

T.

Hi Adam.

I've considered a 12 v freezer myself: like you, my fridge only has a smallish ice box, which will keep frozen food for a couple of weeks.

Reading your posts, I guess that your plan is to FREEZE what you have cooked and for that I believe you need a four star rated freezer.

Is that what you have bought?

Cheers,

T.

Hi T

Yes, the freezer in my link above is 4-star. It arrived today and looks v smart in black. The instructions say to let it settle for 3 hours before plugging in, but I won't need it until, maybe, Saturday night so I'll plug it in on Saturday morning so that it has definitely settled properly. I'm looking forward to rustling up some mouth-watering delights! Bit fed up with ready meals!

Cheers

Adam