Treating rust - owatrol

Featured Posts

I never had much luck with Owatrol on rust; maybe I didn't use it correctly. I have had good results with Kurust on small rust spots, though everybody I have spoken to who has used Vactan seems to highly recommend it. I think I will be using it next time I have to fight rust.

What they say ^^^

I spent several horrible days wedged into a small bow thruster hole removing rust, then Owatrolling (twice) then painting with danboline. I was devastated to see rust pin holing through a year later - I was never planning to go down that hole again!

Vactan is good. Be sure to use it on steel above 4degrees though - I discovered the instructions do not lie.

I find red Owatrol better than standard Owatrol for use over rust, standard Owatrol is a paint additive but rather over-sold as a cure for everything, red Owatrol is a proper rusty metal primer.

For a real proper job get a wire brush in an angle grinder and go back to almost perfect bare metal then 3 coats of Armourguard ST epoxy primer with a top coat in whatever you fancy.

...............Dave

I think it depends what your after.

Personally I would linish light rust to bright, or hit pitted steel with a needle scaler and the vactan.

However I am told by someone I respect that Owatrol is good for holding areas you cannot get good enough to paint, effectually as a replacement for waxoyl.

Daniel

I think it depends what your after.

Personally I would linish light rust to bright, or hit pitted steel with a needle scaler and the vactan.

However I am told by someone I respect that Owatrol is good for holding areas you cannot get good enough to paint, effectually as a replacement for waxoyl.

Daniel

I've found Owatrol excellent for things like strap hinges on the gas locker, where the paint inevitably abrades off and then rust forms around the joint.

I used cuppaslip grease on my gas locker strap hinges. When first applied it lubricated so well that the gas locker lid fell off on its own when the boat heeled over slightly as I was opening it to turn the gas on!