CRT Winding Hole Survey

David Mack

Featured Posts

Can someone please clarify if it is allowed to wind using the entrance to Barby Marina on the North Oxford? There are a couple of signs saying no winding and telling people to wind using the hole near to Hillmorton Wharf.

I may have it wrong but I thought that when a new marina was created allowing winding in the entrance was part and parcel of the consent?

I don't think it is, but am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Such signs are, of course, hardly uncommon.

I don't think it is, but am happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Such signs are, of course, hardly uncommon.

From what I have heard about the owner I don't think I will risk trying it.

Regarding the winding hole at Barby Marina, from CRT Customer support coordinator:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you are not able to wind at the marina, however there are winding holes at Hillmorton bottom lock as well as Hillmorton Wharf. The marina is privately owned and only been open for a short period.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Rohanna

Amy McEleney – Customer Support Coordinator

For and on Behalf of South East Waterway

Canal & River Trust | 1st Floor North | Station House | 500 Elder Gate | Milton Keynes | MK9 1BB

Edited by Ray T

Regarding the winding hole at Barby Marina, from CRT Customer support coordinator:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you are not able to wind at the marina, however there are winding holes at Hillmorton bottom lock as well as Hillmorton Wharf. The marina is privately owned and only been open for a short period.

Many Thanks

Kind Regards

Rohanna

Amy McEleney – Customer Support Coordinator

For and on Behalf of South East Waterway

Canal & River Trust | 1st Floor North | Station House | 500 Elder Gate | Milton Keynes | MK9 1BB

This sort of statement touches a sensitive nerve. Forgive the pun, but it winds me up!

If the canal is wide enough to wind within CRT waters, safely and with due care, and without entering the marina, without landing or touching their bank, then you have every right to turn there - regardless of what CRT says - and especially in defiance of a NO TURNING sign - if there is one.

Having said that, if the canal is only wide because of the entrance to the marina, meaning you need to enter the 'private' water of the marina to wind safely, then it is understandable why there might be a NO TURNING sign - in which case it is downright bad manners to wind there. And if boats do turn there without permission - then it is understandable why there might be a NO TURNING sign.

I support the logic that entrances to marinas should permit 'public' use for winding as part of their CRT commercial license - where the fees charged to the marina recognise the value of the winding hole provided - that saves CRT have to provide one themselves.

It keeps coming back to a properly thought out CRT policy - a code-of-practice that we understand and we all benefit from.

Many Thanks

Clearly this is piffle as there is space for anyone to wind in the marina entrance, so Ray IS able to wind there

Whether there is a legal right to wind is different matter which she appears not to have addressed, and I would imagine was Ray's question.

• 2 weeks later...

Why some negativity? Seems to me that CRT are making an effort to do what everyone has been asking for - getting proper information and seeing what can be done about it.

I will contribute what I can by using the links.

I agree - their animated map of the history of the canals is also interesting - even if full of mistakes

How about sending them some constructive criticism, such as OS grid refs so we know which hole they are talking about?

from the midnight navigator