Come on, own up.

pophops

Featured Posts

The most important part of boating for me (especially on the canal) is that I never have a schedule to keep to, can trundle along as slowly as I like (without causing an obstruction to those who have to hurry) and can, as I always do, slow down when passing any moored boats, occupied or otherwise.

I maintain steerage way at all times, I am, after all, supposed to be fully in control of the boat (though even steerage way does not always guarantee that blush.png ) so I will be moving faster should the weather conditions dictate.

Others may not have the same attitude - that is their choice and I only object if they spill my coffee (or, far worse, my alcohol)

The former may cause me to lower a condemnatory eyebrow but the latter can and does cause me to raise my voice.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry biggrin.png

Edited by tidal
  • Greenie 2

I must admit I don't slow much for CRT mud-hoppers I can see are padlocked to the piling with lengths if chain. They can make a very satisfying noise, particularly if moored closely in multiple, end to end, and you get a kind of "Newton's cradle" effect.

However I once made the same mistake for a CRT work flat, similarly secured, and which I felt sure was unoccupied, being long after they usually pack up and go home - I spilled their tea apparently, and they were not happy. Worse, one of the workmen involved was a family friend!

And there was me thinking that they were all tied with short lengths of thin blue string - it at all. I must adjust my spectacles.

And there was me thinking that they were all tied with short lengths of thin blue string - it at all. I must adjust my spectacles.

To be fair to BW/CRT, if they tie with anything better, unscrupulous boaters pinch them and replace them with bits of tat!

George ex nb Alton retired

The most important part of boating for me (especially on the canal) is that I never have a schedule to keep to,

But that is not the case for everybody. Hire and private boaters alike may have a fixed amount of time in which to get the boat back to base, or to a designated mooring or whatever.

Surely the onus is on the moored boat to tie up correctly and so preclude any 'bobbing' about irrespective of the speed of passing boats.

Clank...twang...crunch..."where's your water skier mate?"

Ah the joys of boating...

The onus is on both parties to play their part

The onus is on both parties to play their part

indeed, the moorer to moor up correctly and also the helm to slow down to a sensible speed to pass by at dependant on different factors (size of boats, depth and width of canal, wx conditions etc etc).

Also I always have a chuckle at anyone who talks about others being at a hurry on the canals. As the max speed you can go at is 3-4mph that is hardly rushing!! However as others have said some people are often on schedule...ours always has a large 'ish' built in for planning purposes!

• Greenie 1

But you can't do that if your inside the boat at the back and the front end is on fire.

I couldn't agree more DC. I'm just questioning, in addition, how secure these things truly are from the outside - in my view, not significantly enough to outweigh the fact that they advertise an unoccupied boat, but they're definitely not a good thing to be trapped on the wrong side of.

As a motorbike courier I'm in too much of a rush Monday to friday- moving the boat of a weekend I rarely go above tick over, I have no need to!

That, and it's frustrating when a 'speeding' boat passes and causes my pinball table to 'tilt'! ;-)

Edited by Punk Stig

I'm still amazed there's people out there who stand around with overfull boiling kettles in their hand, looking into the distance for boats and waiting to be offended.

I thought that.

I was under the impression all boaters were stingy with gas and electric and only boiled what the needed.

As for the tray of hot fat, back to cookery skool for you, no need to have your food swimming in artery clogging fat and grease. Drain it off and keep a slimmer waistline.

Either that or get a deeper roasting tray ;)

Edited to add the cooking lesson wasn't for PaulC - it was for the poster who mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Edited by gazza

We always slow for moored boats whether they have someone onboard or not. There are rare occasions when Dave forgets because I'm at the back and we've having an intense conversation about something and he's not paying close enough attention or the wind is catching us (I tend to stay up front in the sun, most days when we're cruisin' blush.png

What I don't get (as in understand), is all this bopping around folks complain / moan about. We've been living on the boat for a little over 2 & 1/2 years now, and I've yet to experience anything other than a bit of forward/backward movement with our boat when others go past, regardless of how fast they are going; with the exception of the bloody, flippin row boats / skifs which do actually rock our boat - is that down to the fact of us being a WB or just having a really well balanced/ballast boat? Does it make a difference that from the bottom rubbing strak to the flat bottom is chinned?

I just can't imagine it's down to luck that we haven't experienced a boat going past too fast.unsure.png

Edited by Bettie Boo

The number of boats tied up badly certainly appears to be on the increase. If people are going to moor with ropes at right angles to the bank, then they're likely to move about when a duck goes past, let along a boat. Add to that ropes with a foot of slack, and you really are asking for trouble. Add a centre line and you've hit the hat-trick.

What I don't get (as in understand), is all this bopping around folks complain / moan about. We've been living on the boat for a little over 2 & 1/2 years now, and I've yet to experience anything other than a bit of forward/backward movement with our boat when others go past, regardless of how fast they are going; with the exception of the bloody, flippin row boats / skifs which do actually rock our boat - is that down to the fact of us being a WB or just having a really well balanced/ballast boat? Does it make a difference that from the bottom rubbing strak to the flat bottom is chinned?

I just can't imagine it's down to luck that we haven't experienced a boat going past too fast.unsure.png

I think its more like the good skill shown in mooring the boat well! You would expect a little bit of forward and back ward motion with a little bit of gentle rocking. If your canal boat starts 'bobbing' then sounds like the stability is all wrong and you need to have a look at your ballast...or stop using the centre line, one of the two!

It did used to wind me up when incorrectly moored irksome prats bellowed, slow down from their side hatch as we passed at crawling pace having slowed to tick over some hundred yards previously. Now, my response is to simply say, I'm not in a rush so if you want me to stop and show you how to moor your boat properly I am happy to do so. No one has yet accepted my offer.

I couldn't agree more DC. I'm just questioning, in addition, how secure these things truly are from the outside - in my view, not significantly enough to outweigh the fact that they advertise an unoccupied boat, but they're definitely not a good thing to be trapped on the wrong side of.

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

Me too! I was amazed when one of the canal mags had an article on boat safety which recommended big padlocks on the outside to deter thieves. To my mind if big padlocks are visible it tells me that the boat is unoccupied and burglars with bolt cutters are welcome!

haggis

• Greenie 1

Me too! I was amazed when one of the canal mags had an article on boat safety which recommended big padlocks on the outside to deter thieves. To my mind if big padlocks are visible it tells me that the boat is unoccupied and burglars with bolt cutters are welcome!

haggis

They'd get a pretty big surprise with ours, as our pad locks are alarmed and omit a deafening high pitch squealing alarm that won't stop till the key is used...plz don't ask me how I know that - thankfully it was during the daytime when I had returned with some shopping blush.png

They'd get a pretty big surprise with ours, as our pad locks are alarmed and omit a deafening high pitch squealing alarm that won't stop till the key is used...plz don't ask me how I know that - thankfully it was during the daytime when I had returned with some shopping blush.png

That's a good idea but I don't think many boaters are as clued up :-)

haggis

Interestingly I went past a moored boat, on the increasingly shallow South Oxford, the other day, and the occupant actually said "there was no need to slow down that much, but you engine does sound lovely on tickover"

It's a funny old game ...

One of the reasons we bought our boat was the previous owner recounted how the boat had resisted an attack. The hobo then broke into the next boat, drank all the whiskey and ate all the tinned dog food...