Base Flooring Material?

Featured Posts

I'm looking replace the base flooring and have been told that I should use WBP Plywood.

I've been looking at the Wickes website and have found Wickes Non Structural Hardwood Plywood 18x1220x2440mm for about £30. The possible usage states "Hold Lining for Ships". Could this be used?

Does anyone know of a supplier of WBP Plywood near Nantwich? Builders Depot charges about £30 per sheet but they are in the South of England. (I will put vinyl flooring on top of the base flooring)

Thanks for your help.

Whenever I look for good prices on 'building supplies - all the cheapest seem to be 'oop north' or midlands plus.

Wickes are overpriced as are B&Q.

You'll obviously pay a premium for small quantities - how many sheets do you need?

Jewsons - who I used to avoid like the plague seem to have good prices, just bought a quantity of timber from my local branch darn sarf.

Give them a bell and pretend you know what you're looking for.

WBP comes in various qualities - it's the glue you're after not the surface finish.

You used to be able to get shuttering ply that was water proof / resistant.

In my experience Wickes exterior ply is often very poor quality.

If for convenience I find myself having to use it, I can easily go through the stack rejecting about 5 sheets for every one I'm prepared to accept.

And believe it or not, (I didn't at first!), it is often a mm or two different in thickness from what it is being sold at. (Try measuring it).

Personally I'd try and find someone different if possible.

Edited by alan_fincher

In my experience Wickes exterior ply is often very poor quality.

If for convenience I find myself having to use it, I can easily go through the stack rejecting about 5 sheets for every one I'm prepared to accept.

And believe it or not, (I didn't at first!), it is often a mm or two different in thickness from what it is being sold at. (Try measuring it).

Personally I'd try and find someone different if possible.

I had that problem with some ply I bought, when you butted them up you could feel the difference.

Shuttering ply may be your cheapest option, no point in paying for an expensive face if you are covering it. As said, check out the glue!

Dave

How does an ordinary person buying wood check out the glue.. I wouldn't have any idea what I was looking for?

• Greenie 1

Standard shuttering ply sometimes comes wavy as the seas, use the WBP. Give it at least one c oat of a sealant before fitting, on all sides. 25 mm if you have the money and headroom, but 18 mm will suffice if well fixed. Stay away from MDF..... (imo)

• Greenie 1

37 years ago I used 3/4" marine ply, still as good as new, been in hundreds of boats, some floors only last 1year before they start to sag,rot or just fall apart, the only other good floor I have seen was planed scaffolding planks.

37 years ago I used 3/4" marine ply, still as good as new, been in hundreds of boats, some floors only last 1year before they start to sag,rot or just fall apart, the only other good floor I have seen was planed scaffolding planks.

Is Marine Plywood the same as WBP?

I'll use scaffold planks if I have to do a boat floor in future. Obviously it's a but thick and could effect headroom but it would kill two birds with one stone - you get a nice wood floor and it can go direct onto the framing.

Wouldn't suit everyone though :)

My 20 year old barge has 18mm ply which was in very good order (under a carpet) which I have glued 3/8" thick teak finger parquet on top of.

Edited by magnetman

Is Marine Plywood the same as WBP?

Hi Charlie

No , marine plywood is a much better , higher quality product.

Marine plywood should have at least A/B face grade veneers water and boil proof glue .

WBP plywood has the same glue , but it does not have the same quality veneers or void free interior structure.

It should not have any voids inside the internal veneers.

These ( voids ) can gather condensation and be the cause of rot starting from within the actual panel.

You will not see this until it is too late and you will then need to replace that flooring.

Good quality marine plywood ( Meranti for example ) makes for excellent and long lasting flooring.