Diesel Heater

ditchy

Featured Posts

In the rear of the engine compartment - which is at the back end of the boat (i.e. no trad central engine room).

Keeps any noise as far away as possible and diesel feed / fumes / leaks (if any) all in one place.

The exhaust gets 'quite' hot and the unit does too.

They like to use a little current when starting so use short decent size cables when installing. So near the batteries.

They are also noisy so install where you can add sound proofing or out of ear shot. Engine room?

Cruiser stern. Warm air heater in bottom of a wardrobe next to rear bulkhead. Balanced flue in cabin side. Exhuaust in insulated tube to cabin side. Gentle heat to hanging garments.

Heater draws combustion air through balanced flue, but air for heating through its frame, no ducting option. Didn't want heater in engine bay in case it picked up smelly bilge air and pumped them into cabin.

I've bought a webasto heater for a 50 ft trad and was wondering what is the best place to lacate it so, Where is your webasto, eberspacher, mikuni, hurricane located? Thanks

If you would like the factory marine install manual which goes through all aspects of the installation on board then just PM me an email address and I will send a copy, let me know whether its blown air or a wet system too.

Cruiser stern. Warm air heater in bottom of a wardrobe next to rear bulkhead. Balanced flue in cabin side. Exhuaust in insulated tube to cabin side. Gentle heat to hanging garments.

Heater draws combustion air through balanced flue, but air for heating through its frame, no ducting option. Didn't want heater in engine bay in case it picked up smelly bilge air and pumped them into cabin.

That type of internal install is entirely contrary to factory install protocols and is not to be recommended, especially so for a blown air heater.

Edited by NMEA

Eberspacher D5 located in the engine bay (cruiser stern). It sounds like a mini jet engine starting up and we can hear it in bed in the mid cabin (64' Boat).

I find myself waking up about 2 minutes before it comes on in the winter and listening it start before going back to sleep, I think this is because we have to set it each night and a wrong button press will mean it doesn't come on at the right time and since we use it for heating/hot water in winter before work it is key that it does come on.

Eberspacher D5 located in the engine bay (cruiser stern). It sounds like a mini jet engine starting up and we can hear it in bed in the mid cabin (64' Boat).

I find myself waking up about 2 minutes before it comes on in the winter and listening it start before going back to sleep, I think this is because we have to set it each night and a wrong button press will mean it doesn't come on at the right time and since we use it for heating/hot water in winter before work it is key that it does come on.

And what do you think people moored near you do? I remember mooring at the bottom of the Stoke B flight and the residential boat opposite having one

And what do you think people moored near you do? I remember mooring at the bottom of the Stoke B flight and the residential boat opposite having one

Er as i'm sure NMEA will confirm if it is correct marine installation & not one of the cheaper commercial heaters noise is considerably less, I have a air blown system fitted in the engine room of my 60' Trad use it as auxiliary heating, stoves in saloon & b/mans for main heating, only time noise outside is heard is on initial start up when operating temperature is reached noise abates, much less noise then people turning dogs out first thing then spending 10min calling 'ROVER'

Kind of right but its more about the install, even the larger 9kw models can be brought down to a level that should not impinge on neighbours. But I often find cost objection is a factor.

Kind of right but its more about the install, even the larger 9kw models can be brought down to a level that should not impinge on neighbours. But I often find cost objection is a factor.

We had an Ebberspatcher as did a friend of mine. One night we moored on the Llangollen December 1999 and we both had the Ebbers running. You could hear the noise from mine above the noise from his when you walked up the cut passed his boat.

Cruiser stern with engine under stern so webasto is in there

Ditto, except it's a Miukuni.

Edited by Theo

Our Mikuni is not too noisy. It has rubber mounts to isolate vibration. Takes lots of current initially (a bit less than 20A) but once fully going it drops to about 2A.

N

Yes if you remember NMEA I did ask your advise about this last year when I had D4 air blown system fitted[very much appreciated as well]. It was the marine system with integral silencer in exhaust, we decided to fit and try and if noise was an issue[in marina with neighbour 3' to 4' away] and yes noisy on startup but after was impress by noise level, as I don't use for main heating only backup find it doe's what I required, even if I use late evening to boost heating levels on cold nights performs well. when boat is warm temperature soon reached and noise level subside's when idle mode is reached. I find just a little consideration as to use[ ie--time of day, temperature setting] system works fine with no negative feedback from surrounding boats in immediate area. Elec drain not a problem or diesel consumption either. find system quick to heat cold boat and capable of retaining heat levels as backup heating.

We had an Ebberspatcher as did a friend of mine. One night we moored on the Llangollen December 1999 and we both had the Ebbers running. You could hear the noise from mine above the noise from his when you walked up the cut passed his boat.

Few had any kind of silencing in those days, nearly 20 years ago now, how time flies.