Rickmansworth Festival

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Who is planning to be there then?

We have just started off, (with "Flamingo" this time), and barring disasters we hope to be.

Currently at Stoke Bruerne, but with 3 medical appointments, (in two different places), and one evening of Morris dancing booked as part of the trip down - who says you don't have to plan canal journeys? :banghead:

We have just started off, (with "Flamingo" this time), and barring disasters we hope to be.

Currently at Stoke Bruerne, but with 3 medical appointments, (in two different places), and one evening of Morris dancing booked as part of the trip down - who says you don't have to plan canal journeys? frusty.gif

Morris dancing? Whassat? (Google...rummage...) Ah. Got you. Have a GREAT time!

Currently at Stoke Bruerne, but with 3 medical appointments, (in two different places), and one evening of Morris dancing booked as part of the trip down - who says you don't have to plan canal journeys? frusty.gif

Cleveland setting off from East London on Tuesday. Mooring 8b

Weathers not Looking too good, don't think it will be as hot and sunny as last year.

Darren

Pity we are out and about. I could have taken up position on the island with my pea shooter. :)

"Flamingo" has arrived.

I am sincerely hoping nobody was videoing boats on the 90 degree turns in Cassiobury Park earlier - my attempts at the first one could hardly have gone more wrong!

"Flamingo" has arrived.

I am sincerely hoping nobody was videoing boats on the 90 degree turns in Cassiobury Park earlier - my attempts at the first one could hardly have gone more wrong!

Lady Capels Bridge?

A bit off topic but years ago I spent quite a bit of time around there (Grove Bridge mooring before it was a golf course) and chucked the magnet in quite a lot. I found 3 very old and very corroded hand forged windlasses just below Lady Capels turnover bridge on the towpath side. Seemed odd they were not near the lock. Maybe they fell off boats which slammed into the side there (as one does) or someone jumping off to walk up to the lock.

Either that or they were thrown in by a wealthy landowners estate manager who was employed to intimidate the boaters by stealing their windlasses (a theory I came across somewhere)

Sorry to be off topic.

We have other plans this weekend. I hope Ricky goes well with nice weather.

Autocorrect error

Edited by magnetman

Either that or they were thrown in by a wealthy landowners estate manager who was employed to intimidate the boaters by stealing their windlasses (a theory I came across somewhere

Wasn't that what the infamous Black Jack of boatman's tales was meant to have done?

Wasn't that what the infamous Black Jack of boatman's tales was meant to have done?

Black Jack was known for his dislike of the boatmen he would throw windlasses into the trees

& stones & dirt @ the boatmen when they where in the lock.

My Dad was born inside Black Jacks Lock .

My Grandparents where loading lime out of Harefeild when Nan went into labour.

in his panic to get Nan to family Grandad hit the gates & they where stuck in the lock for hours .

The local midwife turned up & climbed down into the boat to deliver Dad . His birth cert gives the name of the boat & place of birth as inside

Black jacks lock Grand Union Canal Harefeild

• Greenie 2

It was Black Jack I was thinking of. Apparently as Jeanette smith harrison says he would throw windlasses into trees (apparently contractors doing some tree works found a load of windlasses inside a hollow tree trunk)

Only thing is that Lady Capels is is a considerable distance from Black Jacks lock. I read somewhere that the same fellow was looking after the estate for the owner around cassiobury park and nicking boatmen's windlasses.

Probably some confusion somewhere. I also spent a fair bit of time around black jacks lock with the magnet (not as many hours as Lady Capels) but I never found anything interesting there.

Edited by magnetman