gary955

Featured Posts

Well it's been a long search with many blind alleys and false starts but it looks like me and Jenny have found our next boat. Not quite the type of tug many on here will be used to.......but I'm sure they'd approve.

She's called Steadfast a 1951 ex US army service tug. We have it under offer and are just waiting for the official survey report but having spent the day of the survey with the surveyor I'm pretty sure it's a thumbs up!

post-11043-0-82764600-1463130223_thumb.jpg

I think she deserves a blog to document us getting her and ourselves ready for a couple of years cruising the inland waterways of Europe but I'm not very I.T savvy so any help and advice on doing that and making it interesting will be welcome. For the meantime I've opened a facebook page "Steadfast. Vintage afloat"

Any advice from those used to more lumpy water will be appreciated, I've joined the DBA but advice on selection of navigation instrumentation or essential lumpy water equipment will be useful. The previous owner has agreed to give us some hand holding while we get used to handling her and we're going to undertake some RYA instruction on her to hopefully gain our Dayskipper tickets.

Wish us luck!

Edited by gary955

Hi Gary

She looks wonderful...u can set up free blog at wordpress(other blog sites are available) its easy..Im complete technophobe and Ive managed to set up 4 now...u can pick ure theme thingy and post pics easy peasy. Also u can select to publish to face ache twitter etc.

Good luck..sounds FAB.

Only problem Ive found with blogs is how to put them into hard copy format on line to turn into book, though can print off. Im sure there is a way.

There is a thriving Dutch tug boat scene in Holland, you will be right at home there, lots of tugboat meets etc, with luck Peter will be along to tell you more later. Lovely boat.

Congratulations with this little beauty, here follows some (maybe) interesting information for you, if you're bitten by the "Tug Bug"

A place and happening not to mis and maybe to go to in your own tug 25,26 and 27 of May 2017
They have a Facebook page too which is in Dutch but evenso quite interesting to check out
Some photos of messuring bollard pull in 2015
Here's a video made by a drone of the 2015 happening, with many links to more videos
But there are several other happenings in other town too, like in Zwartsluis where they had a meeting last weekend

Enjoy,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

That's a good idea to film a boat meeting from a drone - I wonder if this has been done at any UK inland waterways festivals? I imagine special permission would be needed to fly above the public?

That's a good idea to film a boat meeting from a drone - I wonder if this has been done at any UK inland waterways festivals? I imagine special permission would be needed to fly above the public?

In Holland you'd probably need a special permission too I would think, in France I know you have to get an official permission, but most of these videos made by drone have been done without official permission.

I often think that although it's against the rules, it's more practical not to ask permission, as it's easier and less of a risk to say NO" than to say "YES" for the official person in charge of giving (or more likely not giving) this permission, and it's reassuring to know that the guillotine has been abandonned since almost 40 years.

Peter.

There are still some guillotines in england wink.png the river Nene comes to mind smile.png

We have guillotine locks in France too, like on the Canal du Nord and on the Rhône (to name a few) but they've never been used (on purpose) to chop heads off laugh.png

Peter.

Congratulations with this little beauty, here follows some (maybe) interesting information for you, if you're bitten by the "Tug Bug"

A place and happening not to mis and maybe to go to in your own tug 25,26 and 27 of May 2017
They have a Facebook page too which is in Dutch but evenso quite interesting to check out
Some photos of messuring bollard pull in 2015
Here's a video made by a drone of the 2015 happening, with many links to more videos
But there are several other happenings in other town too, like in Zwartsluis where they had a meeting last weekend

Enjoy,

Peter.

Thanks for this. We were aware of the Dutch love of tugs and vaguely aware of the festival, but we had no idea what it was called or where it was. We are going to try to get there with Steadfast next year.

Thanks for this. We were aware of the Dutch love of tugs and vaguely aware of the festival, but we had no idea what it was called or where it was. We are going to try to get there with Steadfast next year.

If you manage to get there, with or without "Steadfast", I'm sure that you'll have a great weekend there.

Peter.