How long does morning last?

MHS

Featured Posts

In France "bonjour" (good day) side steps having to be awake enough to know, though it does generally turn into "bon soir" in the evening. You can even just nod and say "m'sieur" (or "m'dam", according to the perceived sex of the person met).

Tam

Well morning is until midday. Afternoon is after lunch, the correct time for which is 1.00pm.

A more pertinent question would be what is the name of the period between 12.00 midday and 1.00pm?

Not a problem. "Midday" IS 1p.m. during the summer months. icecream.gif

In Pud's world, "morning" is any time between my second breakfast and my lunch. This "morning" may last four hours or it may last one hour. (The time between my first and second breakfasts being a No Man's Land of cro-magnon grunts and snarls that can last anywhen from 6am to 11am depending on multiple factors like bladder urgency, overly vocal canoeists or getting roasted out of bed by the sun on the roof).

Afternoon is between my lunch (which could happen any when between 11.30am-3pm) and my dinner (4.30pm-7.30pm) Some afternoons are quite short in my world.

Evening is any time after The Simpsons

Night time is from Family Guy onwards

This is the 24 hour clock according to Pud.

• Greenie 1

When we're cruising I give everyone a wave and a cheery "Good Morning" or maybe just "Morning"

The problem is that I'm still doing it at 3.00 in the afternoon. SWMBO does correct me, but somehow I find it hard to say "Good Afternoon" so eventually switch to "Hi".

I know it's not just me, as many do it, so how long does your morning last?

When I first lived on a boat about 18 years ago I was a mature student and had plenty of time off. I was CCing and used to moor up near a friend on another boat. We often used to put a folding table and chairs out on the towpath in summer and have breakfast together. Morning soon turned to afternoon, pots of tea were drunk and refilled, breakfast became lunch, and we'd still be sitting there laughing and joking and chatting with passers by and dog walkers. Those were the days.... this was often on a weekday when people who knew better were spending their time working and earning money. But those times spent "wasting" the day are some of my best memories.

Edited by Claude

Someone once asked me what time it was on the canal.

I looked around at the weather and trees, then told him I thought it was about May.

Certainly afternoon does not start until the skipper has had his lunch; and ends when the sun is over the yardarm (code for when we poor the first glass of wine in the evening - we don't have a clue what a yardarm is!).

It's the large bit of wood, iron or steel an a square-rigged vessel from which sails are suspended and the occasional pirate is hanged.

As for the original question Dharl and Mike are correct but in my case it is up to but not including the 1st time I manage to correct myself

I wait until the sun has crossed the local meridian. This means that morning always ends at 12 of the sundial otherwise know as 12 o'clock Local apparent time. This method is complicated by the fact that I have to look up the equation of time in my nautical almanac and allow for my current longitude each day so that I am properly and pedantically prepared.

N

Pedants do it with exactitude.

Edited by Theo

I wait until the sun has crossed the local meridian. This means that morning always ends at 12 of the sundial otherwise know as 12 o'clock Local apparent time. This method is complicated by the fact that I have to look up the equation of time in my nautical almanac and allow for my current longitude each day so that I am properly and pedantically prepared.

N

Pedants do it with exactitude.

If you were my other half...I'd just buy you a watch hug.gif

If you were my other half...I'd just buy you a watch hug.gif

I do have a watch. The equation of time and the longitude are necessary to find what the time of local noon is compared with GMT. I did warn you...

N

It's a 4 hour period of duty for a sailor, 6 occurring per day, starting at 0800 with the forenoon, then afternoon, dogs, first, middle and morning (although usually the dogs are split into a first and last dog of 2 hours each between 1600 and 2000). With 2 bells rung each hour, and the afternoon watch running from 1200 to 1600, I suppose instead of 3pm I should have said 6 bells of the afternoon. Does that cover your query? wink.png

Never used dogs in the Merch. Only the toffs of the RN know about them.

Always the working boatman's greeting - 'ow do.

I often use that too. I greeted one well dressed man of about 35 who responded "Quite well, thank you. And you?" I was a little conflummoxed by this rejoinder and being of slow and ageing brain, made no reply (Like the rabbits in Wind in the Willows).

N

I do have a watch. The equation of time and the longitude are necessary to find what the time of local noon is compared with GMT. I did warn you...

N

Never used dogs in the Merch. Only the toffs of the RN know about them.

I often use that too. I greeted one well dressed man of about 35 who responded "Quite well, thank you. And you?" I was a little conflummoxed by this rejoinder and being of slow and ageing brain, made no reply (Like the rabbits in Wind in the Willows).

N

The correct answer for next time this happens being, of course, "Half past two"...