How long does morning last?

MHS

Featured Posts

When we're cruising I give everyone a wave and a cheery "Good Morning" or maybe just "Morning"

The problem is that I'm still doing it at 3.00 in the afternoon. SWMBO does correct me, but somehow I find it hard to say "Good Afternoon" so eventually switch to "Hi".

I know it's not just me, as many do it, so how long does your morning last?

• Greenie 1

When we're cruising I give everyone a wave and a cheery "Good Morning" or maybe just "Morning"

The problem is that I'm still doing it at 3.00 in the afternoon. SWMBO does correct me, but somehow I find it hard to say "Good Afternoon" so eventually switch to "Hi".

Untill Mid day.

? SWMBO ?

I believe in boat time, no rules, but usually stick with ' hi ' to avoid conflict. X

When I was a young chap, about 60 years ago,I was advised by a well educated elderly lady, a family friend, that:-

from our home in the north we did not go down to London as one always went UP to a capital

and

it remained morning until such time as one had eaten lunch.

HH

Hiya.

................ or in the local vernacular 'ow doin awright?'

When I'm working or boating, time seems to go by unnoticed, and I would say " mornin' " up to the time that I checked my watch and took a break. Could easily be 3pm.

Edited by Murflynn

Well......

Coming from the hospitality industry, when working I probably looked at my watch over a 100 times a day every day. We moved onto the boat 2 & 1/2 years ago and I took my watch off the day after we moved on and haven't worn one since, So.....

I've been known to say "good mornin" to passing boaters well into the afternoon, where I've been politely corrected wacko.png

tend to use Good morning / Good afternoon with the time change of 1200 (after noon sights of course!). its trickier to decide when to change from Afternoon to Good evening! 5pm?

Someone once asked me what time it was on the canal.

I looked around at the weather and trees, then told him I thought it was about May.

Certainly afternoon does not start until the skipper has had his lunch; and ends when the sun is over the yardarm (code for when we poor the first glass of wine in the evening - we don't have a clue what a yardarm is!).

Edited by Tiggs

Well morning is until midday. Afternoon is after lunch, the correct time for which is 1.00pm.

A more pertinent question would be what is the name of the period between 12.00 midday and 1.00pm?

The period of fasting known as Rumbletum.

it remained morning until such time as one had eaten lunch.

HH

Call yourself a Northerner? Surely "dinner"?

What's a watch?

It's a 4 hour period of duty for a sailor, 6 occurring per day, starting at 0800 with the forenoon, then afternoon, dogs, first, middle and morning (although usually the dogs are split into a first and last dog of 2 hours each between 1600 and 2000). With 2 bells rung each hour, and the afternoon watch running from 1200 to 1600, I suppose instead of 3pm I should have said 6 bells of the afternoon. Does that cover your query? ;)