K&A Coal Boat?

Dharl

Featured Posts

Was looking for some pictures of a trad stern boat with an extra wide hatch when stumbled on an advert for the BoA based 'The Coalboat' is up for sale. As only launched in in 2012 built for a specific business I was wondering if there wasn't enough business to operate on the western K&A or if another boat was taking over the business?

http://bristol.boatshed.com/narrowboat_70ft-boat-213341.html

I am not on the K&A myself but have always liked the look of that boat......(don't tell SWMBO!!)

Spencer and Victoria have two coal boats and also own the canalside "boatyard" at Hilperton. They run a very tight business and appear more interested in providing a good service to boaters than getting rich. FAME free diesel at 55p and coal cheaper than driving to the local coal merchant. No realistic chance of any new business getting a look in. They do the River Avon, Western end and long pound. Another smaller boat does whats left; the Kennet and Eastern end.

..............Dave

That might explane it! Currently based up at Eastern end of K&A, planning to move to Western end most like

Y Hilperton end of year so will have to check them out! Like to support the fuel boats where I can!

Was looking for some pictures of a trad stern boat with an extra wide hatch

Hi Dharl, it seems I cannot add photos to a PM, so please find them attached here.

Sorry about the last one, it should be turned through 90° but I don't know how to do it.

post-21818-0-65547700-1463056005_thumb.jpg

post-21818-0-42928500-1463056023_thumb.jpg

post-21818-0-71432000-1463056039_thumb.jpg

post-21818-0-87435600-1463056052_thumb.jpg

post-21818-0-98241900-1463056068_thumb.jpg

HI Cuthound,

thank you for the pics of the widehatch, just what I was looking for. Ideal for both Mrs Dharl to be seated in residence as well as our own hound!

HI Cuthound,

thank you for the pics of the widehatch, just what I was looking for. Ideal for both Mrs Dharl to be seated in residence as well as our own hound!

Due to excitable nature of our current hound, we have to cruise with the back doors closed. He loved the boat from the minute he saw it, as Matty40's (who was repainting my handrails the day we got him) will testify. Whilst much quieter now, he still cannot resist barking at every other dog he sees, whether on the towpath or on a boat.

Note the "elderly hound" friendly steps, which was a major consideration for us at the time. Then the damn inconsiderate dog went and dies a year after we got a boat suited to him!

The Coal Boat was profitable. It was many people's preference as it did Bath to Devizes and back weekly (Spencer did monthly. I think).

The owner sold it to do other things.

Spencer has since got a second boat, so his deliveries are now more regular than they were before. Therefore I think starting up a new coal boat business in the area would be difficult.

The Coal Boat was profitable. It was many people's preference as it did Bath to Devizes and back weekly (Spencer did monthly. I think).

The owner sold it to do other things.

Spencer has since got a second boat, so his deliveries are now more regular than they were before. Therefore I think starting up a new coal boat business in the area would be difficult.

Thanks Sassan for the update.

Have admired the Coalboat when I have seen her in the flesh (so to speak) so hope she has a happy new home and continues working where ever she ends up!