Pump-out toilets- how often do you pump out?

Lia

Featured Posts

we have a 215 litre tank and Vetus maccerator , lasts 2 of us 2 weeks , could last longer in summer when in marina if we walk to the marina loos but its a long way espcially on a cold winters morning so one gets a little lazy .

If we have guests espcially non boater guests who dont / wont use the econo flush then the worst I have had is 3 days for 4 people , alot more beer drunk during this time though ;-)

I installed a Lavac sea toilet with manual pump. It discharges to a 105 litre tank (i have not added an overboard option as that is illegal inland).

2 adults 2 small children full time residential. Pump out every 4 days.

(We do have the luxury of a free pumpout machine always available on the mooring which is why I chose a small tank ;) )

When boating we use a porta potti 265.

we have a 215 litre tank and Vetus maccerator , lasts 2 of us 2 weeks , could last longer in summer when in marina if we walk to the marina loos but its a long way espcially on a cold winters morning so one gets a little lazy .

If we have guests espcially non boater guests who dont / wont use the econo flush then the worst I have had is 3 days for 4 people , alot more beer drunk during this time though ;-)

Switch the fuse off for the time of the visit and flush it yourself after ;)

We do that sometimes as non-boaters don't understand eco-flush and expect the water to be crystal clear after every flush...

clapping.gif

So you regularly have non-boaters aboard smile.png

Funny is that before they go onboard, they tend to go to a loo on the bus or on land, and sometimes we have to wait until they are don, but when they are going to leave the boat, they use the toilets onboard, often in a rush, all at the same time, so sometimes we have to wait again until they are don. I am sure the buss drivers is happy if they don't use the bus toilet though.

(we have two Thetford)

Edited by Dalslandia

Switch the fuse off for the time of the visit and flush it yourself after wink.png

We do that sometimes as non-boaters don't understand eco-flush and expect the water to be crystal clear after every flush...

I have a friend with a dump through and they had a tremendous problem persuading some visitors not to fill the bowl like a domestic toilet before opening the ball valve into the tank

I have a friend with a dump through and they had a tremendous problem persuading some visitors not to fill the bowl like a domestic toilet before opening the ball valve into the tank

I can't understand the psychology of the visitors. If they are asked to so someting ina particular way in a situation with which they are not familiar, why not just comply with the owner's request?

I can't understand the psychology of the visitors. If they are asked to so someting ina particular way in a situation with which they are not familiar, why not just comply with the owner's request?

I've had guests aboard do the exact opposite of what I said when regarding what not to put down the loo and not to repeat flush. After I heard the water pump run for the fifth time flushing the loo from this one particular guest, I turned the water off at the isolation switch. :lol: She had to come out of the bathroom eventually, probably thinking she'd broken the water supply as well as the toilet. I didn't mention anything and neither did she. :D

People don't do as they're asked when they're used to doing things their own way. Especially when it comes to subjects not openly talked about like using a loo. By the very nature of our lives offgrid, it's something boaters are more comfortable talking about and we know all boat loo types work a bit differently

Edited by BlueStringPudding

• 4 weeks later...

I've had guests aboard do the exact opposite of what I said when regarding what not to put down the loo and not to repeat flush. After I heard the water pump run for the fifth time flushing the loo from this one particular guest, I turned the water off at the isolation switch. laugh.png She had to come out of the bathroom eventually, probably thinking she'd broken the water supply as well as the toilet. I didn't mention anything and neither did she. biggrin.png

People don't do as they're asked when they're used to doing things their own way. Especially when it comes to subjects not openly talked about like using a loo. By the very nature of our lives offgrid, it's something boaters are more comfortable talking about and we know all boat loo types work a bit differently

Glad to know I'm not the only who has been in this rather awkward situation! I asked one friend not to use the loo unless it was an emergency as there were public and CRT toilets nearby. On reflection, I think he thought I was joking...

• 4 years later...

Bit of a thread resurrection!

We have lived aboard a 2015 Collingwood wide beam for just over a week. Have lived aboard before so not a total newb, but first time  I’ve owned a boat with a pump out.

This evening the little lights have lit up (it was green for a few days, then green and red and tonight’s the amber has joined in too!) 

We have both been very conservative with our use, but full in a week seems very quick compared to most responses on this thread. Needless to say, finding time to get it emptied is a challenge now as we both work. So... questions...

1. Do i trust the sensors?

2. Is there any other way of finding how full it really is?

3. If the sensors aren’t playing up and we continue to use it what is the likely outcome?

Boat is immaculate and previous owners - lately of this parish - emptied the tanks prior to us taking her on.

Any help would be gratefully received. J 

7 minutes ago, James Ayton said:

For reference. Holding tank measures approximately 100cm x 60 x 40. Adjusting for removing a bit for foam insulation. 

Thats about 240 litres - that is quite small for a holding tank.

Many say that a 20 litre cassette lasts 2 people a 'couple of days' so (say) 200 litres would equal to about 20 days.

If the tank has a layer (a few inches thick) of dried out poo in the bottom of the tank it can reduce the volume quite a bit.

Can you get into see the tank ?

Is is a 'dump-thru' or have an inspection hatch ?

It is best to work on the old saying "if its brown flush it down, if its yellow let it mellow" just think, if you flush just 500ml each time, and two of you do 6 'wees' per day and a 'dump' each per day that is 8 litres per day 10 days is 1/3rd of the tank capacity. If you flush 1 litre per time thats 2/3rd of the tank in 10 days, EXCLUDING anything you 'deposit' in the toilet.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Green red amber seems a bit counterintuitive.... what type of sensor is it ? Can you access it/them possibly cleaning them  if they are the float type (best done when emptied!)

It should go green amber red the sensor has idrosystem on it. 

green - go

amber - 3/4

red - full 

red joined the party on Saturday, well ahead of amber. 

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats about 240 litres - that is quite small for a holding tank.

Many say that a 20 litre cassette lasts 2 people a 'couple of days' so (say) 200 litres would equest to about 20 days.

If the tank has a layer (a few inches thick) of dried out poo in the bottom of the tank it can reduce the volume quite a bit.

Can you get into see the tank ?

Is is a 'dump-thru' or have an inspection hatch ?

Can’t see any access into the tank from inside the boat 

13 minutes ago, James Ayton said:

For reference. Holding tank measures approximately 100cm x 60 x 40. Adjusting for removing a bit for foam insulation. 

Thats a small tank. I wouldnt expect it to last very long if you flush at all after wee. for instance we just flush wee once in the morning after the night time if we are using the macerater. We tend to use the much more sensible porta potti though. Our tank is bigger than yours but I aint going to measure it now as my beer would get warm ?