Smelly loo

Featured Posts

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the need for special dissolving loo paper?

What Tony said. Plus, to check suitability, put a sheet of the paper in a glass of water, leave for a couple of minutes, then give it a stir. If it breaks up into mush, all is well. If it holds its shape, avoid like the plague. Standard Andrex seems to be fine as well as most own brands.

What Tony said. Plus, to check suitability, put a sheet of the paper in a glass of water, leave for a couple of minutes, then give it a stir. If it breaks up into mush, all is well. If it holds its shape, avoid like the plague. Standard Andrex seems to be fine as well as most own brands.

Good tip thanks

And NOTHING other than loo paper and what comes out of your body, A Qtip across the pump out pipe will cause lots of problems.

Edit to add

Even if it says "flushable" on the packet.

Edited by ditchcrawler

I often don't use anything without problem. As the contents of the tank ages you get a wiff out of the vent but I don't see that as a problem. If you get a good rinse after a pump out I would start using a Bio product and see how it goes. The only time I had a sludge problem in the bottom of the tank was after using Blue because I was worried the wiff from the vent would bother other boaters moored beside me at an IWA National.

Is there anything that can be added to the tank to help convert from Blue to bio? Or is it just a matter of using neither for a couple of cycles?

The instructions for at least one product say put yoghurt down it at the start to introduce suitable microbes.

Thank you - you guys really are a fantastic source of information. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Señor Chris, on 11 May 2016 - 2:56 PM, said:

Is there anything that can be added to the tank to help convert from Blue to bio? Or is it just a matter of using neither for a couple of cycles?

Blue is a mix of quite nasty chemicals and just a small amount of them can kill nice friendly bacteria - which can be quite delicate so the only way to get rid of the dreaded Blue is to flush - fill up if possible and reflush more than once.

Some self pumpouts give you a lot of time so:-

Fill you tanks to the top with fresh water

Pump out

put the pump out unit on hold

pumpout again

ditchcrawler, on 11 May 2016 - 4:26 PM, said:

Made I larf - one of the advantages of boats on the salty stuff is that the loo contents get a good mixing, thus making any additive more effective than our effluent tanks that don't get stirred up enough.

All the nice bacteria hide in a corner and the nasty ones are free to roam about.....

On a different thread on here a while ago this treatment was suggested for pump out tanks that they use in septic tanks....it is a natural product..think its called munch busters or similar..anyway on the recommendation on here I got it for Horror House septic tanks and it seems to be working by reducing aroma so as its enviromentally friendly could help with your smells. I don't use blue products in septic tank system.

Secondhand toilet paper, no! not S/H, I meant any cheap recycled toilet paper available anywhere seems to dissolve beautifully, although a little prematurely sometimes, unfortunately I'm afraid. Aldi do nice and cheap soft on yer bot recycled toilet rolls called ''Saxon Soft''.

It is also important not to use domestic toilet cleaning products that kill the bacteria so that rules out any that contain bleach or biocides. It is reported that Ecover will not.

We use the Ecover multipurpose cleaner and have found that it doesn't cause a problem with our Portapotti. Used to use Ecomagic until they went out of business converted to Odorlos and find it excellent.

I really don't want to preserve our poos using the nasty blue stuff!

Nick

I'm a fan of Biomagic. It's the only stuff I found worked

Can you still get it? I though that it had disappeared from sight.

We only have a 'Porta potty' which we used conventional blue with, and only use the boat at weekends.

Over winter it will do a month or more no issues, in summer I find that the best thing to is empty it near the start of the weekend, or right at the end, as if left with much in it at all it will stink a fortnight later either way.

Maybe I should be reading this thread!

Daniel

That's interesting. We have boated with the same Portapotti for 10 years now, two of which have been liveaboard years. I consider that we are experienced PP users. Always used Ecomagic or Odorlos or nothing. I am the bog monitor SWMBO never does bog duty and I wouldn't let har if she asked. Surprisingly there is no competition for the position of bog attendant.

As I was saying, we don't get a nasty smell even when I use nothing for a week or two.

Well nearly never. We had a male visitor for a weekend who stood up to pee. I know this because the bathroom stank the day after he left. I set to to clean the thin layer of stale pee of lower three feet of the whole bathroom.

Nasty!

Sorry that was a bit off topic but I felt inspired to share it.

Theo, on 11 May 2016 - 8:50 PM, said:

We use the Ecover multipurpose cleaner and have found that it doesn't cause a problem with our Portapotti. Used to use Ecomagic until they went out of business converted to Odorlos and find it excellent.

I really don't want to preserve our poos using the nasty blue stuff!

Nick

Methinks that's the best and most cogent reason for not using the beastly stuff in the first place!

Out of sight out of mind and nicely broken down for the next stage in the process.

I don't suppose anyone is much concerned with how 'blued poo' is treated but my marina tells me that - because more folks are using blue in their holding tanks, that they have to pay three times the previous cost to have it carted away. They now want £24 per pump out....

Your post deserves a greenie...

Methinks that's the best and most cogent reason for not using the beastly stuff in the first place!

Out of sight out of mind and nicely broken down for the next stage in the process.

I don't suppose anyone is much concerned with how 'blued poo' is treated but my marina tells me that - because more folks are using blue in their holding tanks, that they have to pay three times the previous cost to have it carted away. They now want £24 per pump out....

Your post deserves a greenie...

I wonder that CRT don't ban the stuff. It would, of course be impossible to police but it would send a signal to all and sundry that it is nasty and should be avoided. If not a ban then some educational notices would be a good thing.

N