Smelly loo

Featured Posts

Thanks to you guys I now have shiny mushrooms and lots to think about technology. A bit scared of the replies to this one but here goes. I believe stylishly known as 'drop through' loo is very offensive. Recently pumped out and blue stuff added. Fresh for about 4 days. We are only weekending at the moment. Are there secrets that we need to know???? WE are very posh have 2 loos. Only use one I told him but does he listen???

IMO Blue is an abomination when used in a large loo arrangements.

It was developed for recirculating loos where there's not much fluid.

We too have two loos. Mine - the small crew's loo tucked away at the back is mine and doesn't smell. The posh loo with a proper seat is in the bathroom and does begin to smell as it fills up

We use Odorlos in both - delays the smell

On occasion we add brewers yeast (after culturing it warm water and let it start to ferment) Works a bit longer

From advice on here we will try some bio laundry liquid (I've acquired a small quantity of some industrial strength stuff.

I reckon there will always be some smell when you flush - but the water seal (ours leak) should keep the pong away.

Our use

My opinion

Nothing's set in stone...

BTW We enjoy lots of 'erbs and spices - adds to the 'flavour'

There are two types of bacteria involved in digesting the contents of the holding tank. Aerobic the goes abut its work and does not smell but does need plenty of oxygen and anaerobic that requires no oxygen and makes horrid smells. Traditional blue contain horrible chemicals that kill the bacteria but as the anaerobic ones tend to be stronger so some survive, breed and crate a smell. So the first thing to do is to forget ordinary Blue and look for a biological solution that will encourage the aerobic bacteria.

you also need to ensure a supply of fresh air into the tank.This should be done by TWO LARGE bore breathers, one at each end of the tank each having a MINIMUM diameter of (say) 1 inch. Unfortunately few boats meet this criteria unless properly specified from new so compromises need to be made. I fitted another breather into my holding tank when I bought the boat. With dump throughs it will help if you make a box with a 12V brushless computer fan in it and fit it into the breather pipe switched so when one enters the toilet the fan is switched on. This help purge the smell and also tends to draw air into the toilet when you open the flap.

It will take several pump-outs and good flushes before all traces of the horrible blue is removed so once you make the decision to go biological expect a few weeks of smells.

There are all sorts of products that have been used with reported success; yoghurt, yeast, septic tank treatment, bio-washing powder,commercial products like Odourlos, Biomagic, New Blu Loo Company and many more. The clue is to look for biological on the label. Some also contain enzymes to help the bacteria break down the effluent.

It is also important not to use domestic toilet cleaning products that kill the bacteria so that rules out any that contain bleach or biocides. It is reported that Ecover will not.

Once you get the aerobic bacteria in charge they will be digesting the paper and solids in a similar way to a sewerage plant.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

The foul air from the tank should not be getting into the boat - it should all be going out of the vent at the back. You need to establish how this is happening. Does it only happen when you flush? Does water stay in the bowl between flushes or gradually seep away?

I think the dump-throughs have a breather in the bowl and pedestal that can allow smells to escape into the room. If you have adequate eternal breathers this can be blocked off. I think you just turn the rubber gasket/seal through 180 degrees. I also think it is Brian who has down it.

[We too have two loos.]

Monsieur Lautrec I presume?

Thanks guys. Lots to be working on. Yes it's just after a flush. Water stays in the bowl most of the time!

So, umm, it smells just after you've used it?

I think the dump-throughs have a breather in the bowl and pedestal that can allow smells to escape into the room. If you have adequate eternal breathers this can be blocked off. I think you just turn the rubber gasket/seal through 180 degrees. I also think it is Brian who has down it.

I sealed mine up, it is supposed to have a water trap but it soon evaporates especially if you don't use a full bowl of water to flush.( you soon empty the water tank and fill the loo tank if you do) also limit how long the flap is open for, don't stand there with your foot on it to flush an extra bit of water down, open and shut. Is there water remaining in the bowl after use and is it still there next time the loo is used,? if not a new seal is required on the ball. Is the tank vent clear or has it been fitted with a charcoal filter that is bunged up.

Thanks guys. Lots to be working on. Yes it's just after a flush. Water stays in the bowl most of the time!

It has to stay ALL the time, it forms a seal between your bathroom and the tank.

Takes a bit of practice to get the flush timing right - the idea is that the descending contents draw air down behind them before any foul air can escape back up. If there is any kind of 'blowback' effect then the vent is blocked.

If the water does drain away, there is a break in the seal somewhere which will allow foul air through once the water has gone. It may just need cleaning if it doesn't always happen.

Takes a bit of practice to get the flush timing right - the idea is that the descending contents draw air down behind them before any foul air can escape back up. If there is any kind of 'blowback' effect then the vent is blocked.

If the water does drain away, there is a break in the seal somewhere which will allow foul air through once the water has gone. It may just need cleaning if it doesn't always happen.

Ok, I'll practice my flushing action. Never did have much rhythm, he never told me how much there was to this narrow boating. Many things were simpler at sea.

Thank you

Ok, I'll practice my flushing action. Never did have much rhythm, he never told me how much there was to this narrow boating. Many things were simpler at sea.

The more water you put in before flushing (by lifting the flush lever), the easier it is to get right but the quicker you will fill the tank.

Lift to add water, depress to empty bowl and also add water. I normally find a quick press down is sufficient and enough water drains into the bowl after the leaver is released.

Ah, the flush lever lifts? Interesting. We may be getting a glimpse of my problems here. Thank you.

Instructions here http://www2.dometic.com/47d833aa-c984-4f95-a34b-1edb5103e357.fodoc

Lift to add water, depress to empty bowl and also add water. I normally find a quick press down is sufficient and enough water drains into the bowl after the leaver is released.

Instructions here http://www2.dometic.com/47d833aa-c984-4f95-a34b-1edb5103e357.fodoc

Thank you that's really kind of you. I've got some bog side reading. I'm getting really worried about what I find fascinating these days.

Thanks again. X

We only have a 'Porta potty' which we used conventional blue with, and only use the boat at weekends.

Over winter it will do a month or more no issues, in summer I find that the best thing to is empty it near the start of the weekend, or right at the end, as if left with much in it at all it will stink a fortnight later either way.

Maybe I should be reading this thread!

Daniel

We used odourless for a couple of years and then it stopped working and led to a whiffy loo. Since then I've been using a bio laundry detergent and ecover loo clean and the smells have ceased- much better and cheaper

We used odourless for a couple of years and then it stopped working and led to a whiffy loo. Since then I've been using a bio laundry detergent and ecover loo clean and the smells have ceased- much better and cheaper

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the need for special dissolving loo paper?

Woodstock, on 11 May 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hmmm -

I had similar experiences--

'Thinks' when the product stopped shipping from the States and the formula changed (blame it on the EU???) it became less effective.

A quantity of industrial strength Bio washing liquid is on it's way.

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the need for special dissolving loo paper?

Certainly not wet wipes. We use ordinary supermarket lo paper and it seems to work OK. Just steer clear of anything that says it is strong, it might be reinforced by synthetic fibres. The bugs and enzymes in the tank when they are working well should break it down.