Perkins V8 - 8.1 or 8.8 liters, oil / filters

wrisberg

Featured Posts

Just got a big boat, with this motor installed. It's removed from a truck in 68.

I need new filters, but they are placed in a canister, so I cant really see what make / number- or model the have, without removing them. I still have a lot of work on the engine, so would prefer to order new filters before I take of the old ones.

Can anybody here recall the filters? I have tried google, but it 's not really showing what filters to use on this engine. Anyone here with that engine? Or the filters ?

Kind regards,

Jonas

You will need to identify exactly which Perkins V8 it is .There should be an id plate with an engine number on it fixed to the block. They were pretty common in the late sixties and early seventies and were fitted as an option to D series Ford trucks and the Leyland Redline range too (Leyland Mastiffs etc). They were a very powerful engine for its time. The filters varied by application with the Ford variants having a different filter to the Leylands. The same engine was used in certain hydraulic excavators too and they had twin filters. Nothing for it I'm afraid but to take them off and read the serial numbers as I seem to remember they were not the same elements across the models.

They are fine engines and I have fond memories of them in our tipper fleet back in the day. They were very exotic compared to the Gardners. which were the everyday bread and butter of the time. Enjoy!

Thanks for your reply's

I'll take them off then. Thanks.

It's 4.8 of my engines. 8.8 liters!

• We tracked down the guy who builded it-. He is 83 years now. He came by to see it, what an awesome guy!! - He sold it 20 years ago. He was extatic to see it again. His wife said, it's only been a month since he said to her, that he was wondereing about the boat. Wilmer, is his name.

He startet the process in 1968, and was done in 75. He took the engine from a used truck in 68 :-)

what a talented guy - thats a fact. He tig welded alot of it, that was state of the art at that time. every little kut and bolt has a purpose and a meaning. Somethings more than one function. talented craftsman.

he brought some pictures, from the time it was done.

post-24495-0-43813400-1462976763_thumb.jpg

post-24495-0-10218500-1462976764_thumb.jpg

post-24495-0-74651800-1462976764_thumb.jpg