Vandalism of a lovely guy's boat

Dave_P

Featured Posts

His current dog used to bark a lot when young but seems well trained now.

Not when I walked past him in Brum over Easter. As far as I was concerned it was on the edge of being dangerously out of control, from the point of view that if it makes somebody concerned they my be hurt it is out of control.

A dog running around loose with the owner not right there and on the spot is by definition, 'out of control'.

It could of course also still be out of control if the owner is right there and on the spot

Could it be that he had an argument with the fisherman that got out of control and ended up clumping him so he came back at night for revenge? all supposition of course as we dont know the full facts.

Neil

Could it be that he had an argument with the fisherman that got out of control and ended up clumping him so he came back at night for revenge? all supposition of course as we dont know the full facts.

Neil

Indeed. While there are rogue elements in every leisure activity, this has the hallmarks of a more protracted spat, but who can really say? As a regular angler I can confirm that there are is a small but significant minority of boaters who delight in annoying fishermen, and anyone else in their vicinity. Some people would argue with a signpost. Among numerous incidents, I have had boaters on an empty waterway moor in front of me, and had people pause in my swim to rev their engines, for, like, fun, like.

These are clearly invitations to a row, or something rougher, and it's no surprise that like minds are happy to take them up on their offer.

• Greenie 1

When caught saw their silly expensive carbon poles in half.

Job done.

I prefer crushed between the boat and the lock landing, which is where they inevitably are :-)

I prefer crushed between the boat and the lock landing, which is where they inevitably are :-)

I cycled over some before. Was lock wheeling on the bike (note with a cycle permit on my bike) came to a section of fishermen blocking the entire footpath fisherman said youll have to go round im here and im not moving my rod for anyone (at this point i must say there was a sort of carved path between some hedges to a path that went round the back of 5 of the fishermen then threw the hedge back onto the towpath) after an argument and being young and him getting very angry dad came round the corner on the boat as i was getting threw the hedge as i got back on the bike the boat got close and by the time i was going past the fishermen one stuck his rod strait threw the hedge right infront of me and i didnt have time to react and ended up going strait over it.

I cycled over some before. Was lock wheeling on the bike (note with a cycle permit on my bike) came to a section of fishermen blocking the entire footpath fisherman said youll have to go round im here and im not moving my rod for anyone (at this point i must say there was a sort of carved path between some hedges to a path that went round the back of 5 of the fishermen then threw the hedge back onto the towpath) after an argument and being young and him getting very angry dad came round the corner on the boat as i was getting threw the hedge as i got back on the bike the boat got close and by the time i was going past the fishermen one stuck his rod strait threw the hedge right infront of me and i didnt have time to react and ended up going strait over it.

No, sorry, not a word.

All anglers fish the lock landing? It sounds like you have some anger management issues.

*Angler management issues

Possibly. It sounds like two sub-groups of entitled a-holes vying for domination of a muddy ditch, which is both surreal and pathetic. Suggesting anglers should have their tackle broken because some git refused to move his gear is like saying canal boats should be sunk or daubed with paint because a few boaters aren't the full quid.

I'll have to take back some of my comments.

Wayne moored in front of us yesterday at Tipton. His dog hardly made a sound, he wasn't unpleasant to anyone, in fact a stream of people walking up to his boat and having long conversations. It even looks as if he's had a haircut and his beard trimmed so looks quite presentable.

• Greenie 1

Possibly. It sounds like two sub-groups of entitled a-holes vying for domination of a muddy ditch, which is both surreal and pathetic. Suggesting anglers should have their tackle broken because some git refused to move his gear is like saying canal boats should be sunk or daubed with paint because a few boaters aren't the full quid.

How dare you call it a muddy ditch :lol:

I'll have to take back some of my comments.

Wayne moored in front of us yesterday at Tipton. His dog hardly made a sound, he wasn't unpleasant to anyone, in fact a stream of people walking up to his boat and having long conversations. It even looks as if he's had a haircut and his beard trimmed so looks quite presentable.

That sounds like my experience (apart from the haircut!). He does like to chat though. I've been late for work because of him before. Edited by FadeToScarlet

This was certainly months ago. It was like it in November when we returned to Birmingham after 18 months away. Other boaters intimated that he had done if himself to get it repainted on the insurance but I doubt this as it was still like it a few weeks ago.

Whatever, our run ins with Wayne would imply that he is very anti social. Manouvering his boat noisily at 6am, allowing his alsation to run free and bark continuously, telling us we can't moor where we where moored, etc.

Lovely is not my description of him.

I've only had positive experiences of Wayne, very friendly and chatty. Yes the dog (Gem) does tend to be off the lead and can run around a bit. It's a big dog and though it has always been very friendly I guess some folk might find it threatening. Never heard it barking though. Everyone has their faults but my experience of Wayne is that he makes a positive contribution to the canals. Anyway, this is a very old story. He moored in front of us in Brum in February, the deed had already been done. He and his dog made no disturbance whatsoever and by next morning they had gone without us hearing them leave.

It's a big dog and though it has always been very friendly I guess some folk might find it threatening. Never heard it barking though.

It was the barking and body language of the dog, not to mention the fact it was free to roam and didn't respond immediately to commands which made a number of people turn round and head back down the towpath when I saw it in Brum at Easter.

So yes I think they were finding it threatening it also needs to be remembered that in law if a dog causes somebody to be concerned it is "dangerously out of control". As people turned round it clearly was causing them concern and so was dangerously out of control.

I think there are two different issues here a dog out of control is when it is off a lead and does not respond to its owners commands even though it might be the softest dog ever, then there is the dog (or person ha ha) that does not respond to commands and is threatening ie growling at people, chasing livestock etc, now that's what I as a dog owner call dangerous.

Neil

I think there are two different issues here a dog out of control is when it is off a lead and does not respond to its owners commands even though it might be the softest dog ever, then there is the dog (or person ha ha) that does not respond to commands and is threatening ie growling at people, chasing livestock etc, now that's what I as a dog owner call dangerous.

Neil

The law describes a dog as being dangerously out of control if it causes a person to be concerned for their safety. The dog can be on a lead held by some low life or it can be off the lead followed by a nice pleasant well behaved boater. Both can in the right circumstances and the "wrong" person on the receiving end be dogs out of control.

The law describes a dog as being dangerously out of control if it causes a person to be concerned for their safety. The dog can be on a lead held by some low life or it can be off the lead followed by a nice pleasant well behaved boater. Both can in the right circumstances and the "wrong" person on the receiving end be dogs out of control.

Whilst you are correct in what you say regarding the wording of the DDA, I think it must be tempered by the persons sensitivity to dogs. One of my granddaughters is very scared of dogs. Just seeing one frightens her, unless she knows it well. If it was her decision to determine dangerousness, then all dogs would be included.

We have a rescue GSD who is great with people and children but reacts badly to other dogs, barking a day lunging towards them. Many people find this scary, but he is always on a leash where there is the possibility of him meeting other dogs. Since we acquired him, over 9 months ago, he has had weekly training sessions and is now comfortable being off lead with other dogs in the barn where his lessons are held.

Eventually I hope this behaviour will transfer out of the barn.

I am attending a presentation on the practical aspects of the DDA in July and if people are interested, will report the findings.

In our local we have a farmer who brings his border collie in every night and is very well behaved and loves the petting he gets from us not to mention the pork scrathings, one night a man of about 70 came in and as the dog walked near him he kneed it in the side, to which we had to stop the farmer from clumping him saying he is an old man, asked by us why he did it he said he hates dogs anywhere near him. we all agreed it was him that was the dangerous one and he has not been welcome since.

Neil

Whilst you are correct in what you say regarding the wording of the DDA, I think it must be tempered by the persons sensitivity to dogs. One of my granddaughters is very scared of dogs. Just seeing one frightens her, unless she knows it well. If it was her decision to determine dangerousness, then all dogs would be included.

We have a rescue GSD who is great with people and children but reacts badly to other dogs, barking a day lunging towards them. Many people find this scary, but he is always on a leash where there is the possibility of him meeting other dogs. Since we acquired him, over 9 months ago, he has had weekly training sessions and is now comfortable being off lead with other dogs in the barn where his lessons are held.

Eventually I hope this behaviour will transfer out of the barn.

I am attending a presentation on the practical aspects of the DDA in July and if people are interested, will report the findings.

I would certainly like a report back even if by PM. Incidentally as I read the law it is your granddaughters decision as to if a dog is dangerous, as if she feels threatened it is dangerous. At least that is my reading of it.

In our local we have a farmer who brings his border collie in every night and is very well behaved and loves the petting he gets from us not to mention the pork scrathings, one night a man of about 70 came in and as the dog walked near him he kneed it in the side, to which we had to stop the farmer from clumping him saying he is an old man, asked by us why he did it he said he hates dogs anywhere near him. we all agreed it was him that was the dangerous one and he has not been welcome since.

Neil

NO excuse for the physical reaction to the dog but he is entitled to expect no dog comes near him without him wanting it. It doesn't matter how friendly and calm the dog is some people are frightened of them and have a right to expect dogs are not allowed to wander up to them in public places.

Still no excuse for the attack on the dog and no excuse for the farmer allowing it to approach a stranger.

I would certainly like a report back even if by PM. Incidentally as I read the law it is your granddaughters decision as to if a dog is dangerous, as if she feels threatened it is dangerous. At least that is my reading of it.

Fortunately the application of the law doesn't just rely on somebody thinking 'ooh that dog is dangerous'.

Otherwise it could be applied vindictively and without proper consideration as to whether the dog in question is actually a risk to others or not.