Vandalism of a lovely guy's boat

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I was looking on the 'dark side' and saw this: http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8952-what-happens-if-you-moor-at-an-anglers-spo

I immediately recognised the boat as Wayne's a continuous cruiser. He's a genuinely lovely guy who sell's bric-a-brac to raise money for a dog's charity. The pictures are shocking and I was wondering if anyone had contact with him currently. Hopefully he's insured? If not, he may have a big bill ahead and my first thought is that if anyone's deserving of a whip-round it's him.

I've had a serious run-in with a fisherman on the Stourbridge canal where a fisherman became very threatening to me and my partner to the extent that I called the police and later gave a statement. It was a genuinely scary incident. I had originally intended to moor for the night nearby nut ended up moving on to somewhere safer as the guy made it very clear that he intended to return later 'with the boys'.

Of course most anglers are fine (if a bit dour) but I do wonder what can be done about the minority who aren't.

Of course most anglers are fine (if a bit dour) but I do wonder what can be done about the minority who aren't.

When caught saw their silly expensive carbon poles in half.

Job done.

I'm not sure how long this has gone on for, I saw this very boat selling his products in Birmingham on the 29th of March and it was painted then. I hope it gets solved soon but I don't know this gentleman. He has painted over some letters of the profanities as the picture shows but it is still awful

I was looking on the 'dark side' and saw this: http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/8952-what-happens-if-you-moor-at-an-anglers-spo

I immediately recognised the boat as Wayne's a continuous cruiser. He's a genuinely lovely guy who sell's bric-a-brac to raise money for a dog's charity. The pictures are shocking and I was wondering if anyone had contact with him currently. Hopefully he's insured? If not, he may have a big bill ahead and my first thought is that if anyone's deserving of a whip-round it's him.

I've had a serious run-in with a fisherman on the Stourbridge canal where a fisherman became very threatening to me and my partner to the extent that I called the police and later gave a statement. It was a genuinely scary incident. I had originally intended to moor for the night nearby nut ended up moving on to somewhere safer as the guy made it very clear that he intended to return later 'with the boys'.

I had a similar incident to yours outside the Cross Keys in Penkridge last year. I was mooring a (hire boat) to close to where this gentleman was fishing. He threatend me with an iron bar that he produced out of his rod-bag. Fortunately for me/him the locals in the pub saw what was going on and put a stop to things.

Most anglers would be disgusted that thugs like that did what they did.

Pound to a penny if the local angling clubs were briefed, they would try to identify the idiots who must be known by decent angling people.

• Greenie 1

The same can be done to those that aren't as to the minority of boaters who aren't either. The criminal law needs to be applied if and when these people are caught.

I do hope CRT take such clashes seriously too as they can make sure a message is given to all anglers associations paying for towpath fishing rights what is expected of them and their members.

Also worth remembering when it is tempting to get all tribal about such matters (ie us=boaters and them= anglers) that quite a lot of boaters are also anglers.

• Greenie 2

In the comments it said that the nasty fisherman did this 6 months ago, but it was only just published in an article on NBW.

That doesn't make it less terrible for the poor owner of the boat, who by now may have restaured the paintwork of his boat to the condition it was before.

Peter.

CaRT need to contact all anglers organisations, associations and clubs that have fishing rights to any canal waters everywhere in its jurisdiction about these incidents.
They should be told that this is a very serious matter, and fishing rights of the canal waters will be withdrawn on any area that suffers vandalism; be it to the infrastructure of the canal; or any boat upon its water.

How would the author of this article like it if all boaters were punished for the actions of a few? I assume no boaters have ever vandalised anything.

How would the author of this article like it if all boaters were punished for the actions of a few? I assume no boaters have ever vandalised anything.

A graffitied bin in Atherstone comes to mind

Richard

In this world there is a huge variety of people. Some are good decent people some are the opposite (any everything in between). Some that fall into those areas happen to be boaters and some anglers. Being an angler or boater doesn't make you an idiot but many idiots do one or the other.

Whoever has done this is to be polite a bad person who may happen to have pastimes that involve angling or boating. You can classify a group as being bad because of the actions of a small minority.

In this world there is a huge variety of people. Some are good decent people some are the opposite (any everything in between). Some that fall into those areas happen to be boaters and some anglers. Being an angler or boater doesn't make you an idiot but many idiots do one or the other.

Whoever has done this is to be polite a bad person who may happen to have pastimes that involve angling or boating. You can classify a group as being bad because of the actions of a small minority.

I thought fishermen were all bad by definition :lol:

I don't know the story but someone must have been pretty pissed off to write all that down the side of the boat - is there more to it than meets the eye.

Not nice at all and I'm not defending it but think there may be a bigger picture?

maybe a paypal account we can send a whip round bit to?

This is what I was thinking but we'd need to know;

Was he insured for this,

Has he already fixed it,

Where to send any donations to.

I haven't seen him for a few months. The last time was in Brum a while back but I only saw his boat from the other side so it may have been like this then.

This was certainly months ago. It was like it in November when we returned to Birmingham after 18 months away. Other boaters intimated that he had done if himself to get it repainted on the insurance but I doubt this as it was still like it a few weeks ago.

Whatever, our run ins with Wayne would imply that he is very anti social. Manouvering his boat noisily at 6am, allowing his alsation to run free and bark continuously, telling us we can't moor where we where moored, etc.

Lovely is not my description of him.

Edited by pearley

this is at least a month old if not more, it was all over FB at the time.

This was certainly months ago. It was like it in November when we returned to Birmingham after 18 months away. Other boaters intimated that he had done if himself to get it repainted on the insurance but I doubt this as it was still like it a few weeks ago.

Whatever, our run ins with Wayne would imply that he is very anti social. Manouvering his boat noisily at 6am, allowing his alsation to run free and bark continuously, telling us we can't moor where we where moored, etc.

yes,I have found him to be anti social where the dog is concerned.I asked him if he could quieten the dog down when he moored opposite.I got a mouthful of foul mouthed abuse including the fact he'd moved as the folk round the corner had complained about the dog's continuous barking !His language was evil & when I crossed the bridge in Brum to speak to him face to face-he shut himself inside his boat! His previous dog Zak also barked incessantly. Until this episode,I'd always felt sorry for him as a bit of a loner .NOT any more.I'm with Pearley on this one. Edited by The Bearwood Boster

Not my experience. He's a bit gruff, yes. His current dog used to bark a lot when young but seems well trained now.