Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
haza

import duties

Featured Posts

hello all .have any of you people had the same game as me trying to find out how import duty and tax work out ...what a pain in the but ...i wish somone could explain too me as i cannot make sence of any of it ...item sent from the states cost 1.625 dollars uk pound around 1.200 would any one what would be paid on that ..regards

• Greenie 1

I am moving this to the VP area as its not boat related, however ultimately it will depend on both what the item is, and if it gets stopped or not.

Daniel

The duty depends upon what the item is and if it is declared as a gift or not.

Then VAT is added on to the value of the goods plus p&p plus duty.

Have a read of this.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

My lad just received something from the states and Parcelforce sent him a letter when it arrived detailing the required payment.

In his case is was about £16, with VAT at £8 and a fee for handling of £8. He paid on-line and it was delivered a couple of days later.

If you want the goods you have to pay it and then appeal later.

If you don't pay they will send it back.

I usually reckon on import costs being an extra 25% of the item cost and am always prepared to pay.

generally speaking around 60% of orders I am receiving do not get charges applied to them (despite being properly declared for content and value)

My lad just received something from the states and Parcelforce sent him a letter when it arrived detailing the required payment.

In his case is was about £16, with VAT at £8 and a fee for handling of £8. He paid on-line and it was delivered a couple of days later.

We got the usual red card through the door and paid on collection at the local sorting office.

Often HMRC take a pragmatic view that small duties are uneconomic to collect. At one point one music CD wasn't charged duty as the cost of charging was disproportionate, but two CDs were charged.

The worst thing is that you don't pay HMRC you pay the carrier/post office who will charge you for handling the deal.

My brother buys quiet a lot from the states and has it maked as a gift from the seller or he does not buy the item, as the customs import tax is 100% con, either mark as gift or no sale.

There are lots of wordings to get things past customs free of charge, but not free of their interest. Lots of "gifts" will get you on an HMRC watch list which could snag your plans if travelling.

The HMRC guidelines are that they don’t levy tax and duties if the value is less than 15 pounds.

Didn't it have to state that it was "An unsolicited gift" not to incur duty?

Assume that a gift may pass through, but a series of gifts may generate interest, then they will look inside and make a UK realistic assessment of the import value of the items,

Often HMRC take a pragmatic view that small duties are uneconomic to collect. At one point one music CD wasn't charged duty as the cost of charging was disproportionate, but two CDs were charged.

The worst thing is that you don't pay HMRC you pay the carrier/post office who will charge you for handling the deal.

I once ordered three USB sticks from Amazon, about £8 each. The order was spilt by Amazon into three orders for one each, and the sticks were delivered in separate packages. This was so the value was below the VAT threshold that was then used. I think HMRC have now caught on to this trick.

Don't rely on the packaged being marked as a "gift". My son sent my wife a pair of UGG boots for a birthday present (they are about half the price in Oz compared to UK). They were marked 'gift', which is what they were. However they were held by the Post Office on behalf of HMRC and by the time we had paid the duties, then the Post Office handling charge they didn't cost much less than if they had been bought here.

anything I buy on ebay from China is classified as 'commercial sample', never been charged duty.

mind you, most things are well below the HMRC threshold value.

the other day I bought 2 dog collars for £2 including postage.

anything I buy on ebay from China is classified as 'commercial sample', never been charged duty.

mind you, most things are well below the HMRC threshold value.

the other day I bought 2 dog collars for £2 including postage.

I can't imagine the bishop will be impressed to hear you're not only wearing Chinese dog collars but also avoiding taxes while your at it!

My limited experience suggests that simply changing the dollar sign for a pound sign is a good starting point.

I can't imagine the bishop will be impressed to hear you're not only wearing Chinese dog collars but also avoiding taxes while your at it!

as the actress said to the bishop: 'get ***********ed. cheers.gif

Sign in to follow this