Safe places to moor on the Aire & Calder Navigation

Featured Posts

As the title says really!

I'm currently looking for a home mooring on the Aire & Calder but am struggling to find one available and wondered where are the best places to moor (as a temporary cc-er) as all the visitor moorings are for 48 hours.

If anyone has any knowledge of safe mooring spots in this area it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

There are many 'safe' moorings along the Aire & Calder can't think of anywhere I wouldn't stop apart from the part between the junction with the River Aire at Bank Dole and Ferrybridge. There's nice moorings too on the new cut.

Thanks Midnight, after fishing an old fridge out of Bank Dole lock, supvised by the local yoofs and closely watched by the police at the weekend, I can see why you wouldn't recommend stopping there!

Is there much in the way of commercial craft on the A &C now? Bit worried about having pins ripped out.

As the title says really!

I'm currently looking for a home mooring on the Aire & Calder but am struggling to find one available and wondered where are the best places to moor (as a temporary cc-er) as all the visitor moorings are for 48 hours.

If anyone has any knowledge of safe mooring spots in this area it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Pretty Much what Midnight said. There isn't really anywhere I would say is not safe.

But of course you wont be able to stay in one 'place' for more than 2 weeks.

There is a CRT mooring showing as available at Selby, and at Bramwith BTW but may not be what you are looking for though.

Commercial boats (Tankers) are running again but turn down New Junction canal - so will only run on the A&CN from Goole to the junction at Sykehouse. If you need to moor on that bit I would avoid using pins.

Edited by MJG

Thanks Martin,

I realise that I will have to move my boat every 14 days, not ideal but without a home mooring there aren't any other options.

The Selby mooring isn't big enough I'm afraid, I was on the VM's there at the weekend and it's a nice place. I've had a look at the Bramwith mooring and love it down there. Unfortunately the mooring is right next to the lock and after speaking to other boaters down there was told that the reason that it became available was that the guy who had it was fed up of constantly being bashed into by people trying to moor up for the lock! If nothing becomes available soon though I may have to reconsider this one.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Midnight, after fishing an old fridge out of Bank Dole lock, supvised by the local yoofs and closely watched by the police at the weekend, I can see why you wouldn't recommend stopping there!

Is there much in the way of commercial craft on the A &C now? Bit worried about having pins ripped out.

I'm upset to read this but unfortunately not surprised I live in Knottingley with my boat living in Goole and would not stop on the stretch between dole bank and fearnley green - there are lots of erm travelling folk grace both sides of the bank.

I would agree with all the above I have very comfortably and happily moored all over the shop on the A & C - personally like just above Pollington Lock and the short section after the went aquaduct at the top of new junction before the 1 st lock.