Rough idea of painting cost.

Featured Posts

That's what's most often quoted as a rough estimate, so it's almost exactly 'about right'! Depends on how complex your scheme is, of course, but there are some good guys with unsurpassed painting knowledge on here who might be along to help more later.

My wide beams in the shed at the moment, windows out with a change of colour fortunately there is very little in the way of rust and corrosion 57x10 feet and £5000 plus lifting out and shed costs so £100 per foot sounds about right I would have thought.

Hi,

My boat had a 'bare metal' paint job abut 4 years ago, simple scheme,worked out at about £100 per foot, plus £350 for sign writing.

Pleased with the work (Oxon Boat Painters), watch out for mircoscopic pimples.

Go for Craftmaster paint, Raddle Red not a brilliant colour.

What ever your scheme it's important to look after it, have tried Autoglym and Carnuba wax, I prefer the former, although silicone can cause problems.

Takes about 6 to 8 weeks to do a good job.

L

Edited by LEO

That is about right for the starting price, our boat is currently being painted but we have found significant other little jobs that make sense to do whilst being painted so it is far more than that now.

The cream coach line has just been finished and masked off ready for the first top coat of the side colour.

post-14862-0-02518000-1462376298_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob-M

Hi,

My boat had a 'bare metal' paint job abut 4 years ago, simple scheme,worked out at about £100 per foot, plus £350 for sign writing.

Pleased with the work (Oxon Boat Painters), watch out for mircoscopic pimples.

Go for Craftmaster paint, Raddle Red not a brilliant colour.

What ever your scheme it's important to look after it, have tried Autoglym and Carnuba wax, I prefer the former, although silicone can cause problems.

Takes about 6 to 8 weeks to do a good job.

L

6 - 8 weeks to polish a boat

6 - 8 weeks to polish a boat

Sorry for creating mis-understanding (caused by exposure to bright sunlight, cold Pinot and a nice cigar), 6 to 8 weeks painting, polishing a 360 day job..........

My wide beams in the shed at the moment, windows out with a change of colour fortunately there is very little in the way of rust and corrosion 57x10 feet and £5000 plus lifting out and shed costs so £100 per foot sounds about right I would have thought.

Where abouts are you having it done if you don't mind me asking? We will be looking to have our WB pretty much the same size a yours done in the next couple of years

Hi Bettie Boo, im or should I say the boats on the Lancaster canal at Garstang. The sheds in Garstang marina, a word of warning though it needs to be booked well inadvance as they seem to be always packed out with work, I had to wait about 6 months for a slot ttfn Simon.

Depending on your desire to do it, and expectations, the other option is to do it yourself.

We have always painted EmilyAnne ourself, and the cost of a full repaint in two-pack paint including blacking is around £500-600 in paint, 3-4 'man weeks' labour (me, mum, and dad on drydock for a week in September, grafting, but also doing other jobs in between) as well as maybe £50 disposables on brushes/rollers/gloves/sandpaper.

The finish we aim for is not the same as you would get having it sprayed in a heated dock, but it lasts 8 years between recoats, holds a shine reasonably well, and suits the rest of the boats 'functional' image.

Daniel

Most quality painters are booked well ahead, a 12 month lead in is not uncommon. The ball park of £100 a foot sounds about right, there's a lot of work in a complete repaint, all of it tedious and exacting, none of which can be skimped. I've every admiration for those I work with, just glad that I can go in and do the more spectacular bits. Quote from a painter from many years ago.....

" I work my balls off for several weeks. You come along and steal the glory in a couple of days ".....sorry Andy

Dave

Most quality painters are booked well ahead, a 12 month lead in is not uncommon. The ball park of £100 a foot sounds about right, there's a lot of work in a complete repaint, all of it tedious and exacting, none of which can be skimped. I've every admiration for those I work with, just glad that I can go in and do the more spectacular bits. Quote from a painter from many years ago.....

" I work my balls off for several weeks. You come along and steal the glory in a couple of days ".....sorry Andy

Dave

Tell me about it. I tried to get Mervyn into Norton Canes this summer to have the two recessed panels stripped and painted in preparation for you to do the signwriting but to no avail.

Next year maybe.

Hi I'm looking to do the same next year. Does the price of £100 per foot include taking it back to bare metal?

Good question. I didn't ask, but had assumed it was back to bare metal.

However it seems that the general opinion is that £100/foot is about right then.

Any recomendation of who around the bottom of the Trent & Mersey? Spoke to JD NarrowBoats at the weekend, who built the shell and they can fit us in over the winter. But any others in the area I should talk to (or avoid)?

Hi Bettie Boo, im or should I say the boats on the Lancaster canal at Garstang. The sheds in Garstang marina, a word of warning though it needs to be booked well inadvance as they seem to be always packed out with work, I had to wait about 6 months for a slot ttfn Simon.

Thanks for the info barong and the heads up on the lead times involved :)

Depending on your desire to do it, and expectations, the other option is to do it yourself.

We have always painted EmilyAnne ourself, and the cost of a full repaint in two-pack paint including blacking is around £500-600 in paint, 3-4 'man weeks' labour (me, mum, and dad on drydock for a week in September, grafting, but also doing other jobs in between) as well as maybe £50 disposables on brushes/rollers/gloves/sandpaper.

The finish we aim for is not the same as you would get having it sprayed in a heated dock, but it lasts 8 years between recoats, holds a shine reasonably well, and suits the rest of the boats 'functional' image.

Daniel

Thanks for that Daniel - it's an option we will keep in mind, sounds like it would really keep the overall costs way down, just a matter of finding the time to do it ourselves along with a boat yard that can lift out a WB and happy to have us on their drydock. Will do some research.cheers.gif

£100 a foot might even be wishful thinking, depending on where the boat is based. I was getting quotes of £8,000-£10,000 for a repaint of my 65fter a couple of months ago from the likes of Oxon Boats, Hillmorten and Wyvern. So £100/ft would be a good price.

Doing a repaint to a decent standard can be daunting for the inexperienced, I've only seen a few that approach a professional standard while some owners have given up part way through. I think that under cover of some sort is pretty important.

Dave

£100 a foot might even be wishful thinking, depending on where the boat is based. I was getting quotes of £8,000-£10,000 for a repaint of my 65fter a couple of months ago from the likes of Oxon Boats, Hillmorten and Wyvern. So £100/ft would be a good price.

That's what I thought

I agree, and when I was getting quotes a couple of years ago, watch out for extras like blacking and sign writing, then can add close on £1000 to the basic painting price.

I agree, and when I was getting quotes a couple of years ago, watch out for extras like blacking and sign writing, then can add close on £1000 to the basic painting price.

And the many other jobs that might be uncovered when the paint has been removed. A large dent in our roof was uncovered when the paint was stripped back, this had been badly filled and painted over so it was unnoticeable. It was now been filled to a better standard. We've also had drainage channels moved so the puddling on the roof should stop and many other small jobs which have added massively to the original painting quote.

Good question. I didn't ask, but had assumed it was back to bare metal.

However it seems that the general opinion is that £100/foot is about right then.

Any recomendation of who around the bottom of the Trent & Mersey? Spoke to JD NarrowBoats at the weekend, who built the shell and they can fit us in over the winter. But any others in the area I should talk to (or avoid)?

Not too far from you, try John Sanderson at Dadford's Wharf, Wordsley. He painted our boat four years ago and it is still very shiney! he has a web site here:- http://www.narrowboatpainting.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by David Schweizer

Trevithics at Nottingham - an excellent job.

You can live aboard and water and electricity are FOC

(It may not be particularly comfortable living in a boat being painted with the windows removed).

Their waiting list is around 12 months + and then they only paint April/May onwards.

Waiting list for Blacking is around 9 months.

Their waiting list is indicative of the quality of work they do.