New 12V fridge - £450-£550??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Looks like I need a new fridge.

Max: width 384mm, height 535mm, depth 490mm

Narrowed down to Waeco CR 50 at about £450

Waeco CRX 50 at about £540, or Webasto Cr49 at about £450

Cant believe they are so expensive? I can get a relatively huge 240v fridge/freezer for £220!

Cant believe they are so expensive? I can get a relatively huge 240v fridge/freezer for £220!

Simple numbers, More that are produced, lower the unit cost. The 240v market for fridge/freezers is massive unlike the market for 12/24v versions is small. It is all down to scale of cost. i.e If a order is placed with factory for 100,000 units, the production cost is lower per unit. Order just 100 cost per unit is higher.

Coat us relative to volume of sales, thousands of 249v units sold every day against perhaps only tens of 12v units almost like a off the peg suit against a bespoke tailored suit. IMHO worth it, I have both a 12v under counter larder fridge and ditto freezer, both Shoreline. Never seen the point of taking perfectly good 12v leccy and passing through an inverter with losses to run a 240v unit plus if your inverter goes down so does your fridge. I've always tried to have as much as possible on 12v

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Best option buy a A++ or even A+++ 240v fridge far superior insulation either run it on 240v or get a 12v compressor and get a local refrigeration engineer to swap units also change internal lamp.

Best option buy a A++ or even A+++ 240v fridge far superior insulation either run it on 240v or get a 12v compressor and get a local refrigeration engineer to swap units also change internal lamp.

Nothing wrong with the insulation in my Shoreline (LEV cabinets), my fridge will get to below freezing if I choose to crank it up and my freezer normally sits at minus 18c. There seems to be a common misconception that somehow 12v fridges and freezers are inferior to 240v stuff.

Phil

Really only wanted to double check the prices. I can see the volume production thing makes sense.

On 240v and efficiency, I only have a small space and my inverter is a Sterling that draws 4A in standby, and I have no desire to buy a new one.

Richard10002, on 03 May 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Really only wanted to double check the prices. I can see the volume production thing makes sense.

On 240v and efficiency, I only have a small space and my inverter is a Sterling that draws 4A in standby, and I have no desire to buy a new one.

Yes CS's stuff is quite profligate - but I didn't think that bad.

Must be one of his cheapie MSW units.....

Nothing wrong with the insulation in my Shoreline (LEV cabinets), my fridge will get to below freezing if I choose to crank it up and my freezer normally sits at minus 18c. There seems to be a common misconception that somehow 12v fridges and freezers are inferior to 240v stuff.

Phil

IMHO 'tis not a matter of what low temperature they attain, but the amount of energy consumed in order to get there.

My aged Batts (Lec) fridge compartment of the FF will get down to -3 or more if I forget to adjust the thermostat.

There are relatively few small cabinets manufactured nowadays and many are 'of moderate' quality - and Shoreline has to buy from them.

IMHO 'tis not a matter of what low temperature they attain, but the amount of energy consumed in order to get there.

My aged Batts (Lec) fridge compartment of the FF will get down to -3 or more if I forget to adjust the thermostat.

There are relatively few small cabinets manufactured nowadays and many are 'of moderate' quality - and Shoreline has to buy from them.

I have no idea how you can judge the quality of a cabinet all I know is that my 110ltr fridge and my 80ltr freezer have worked brilliantly for the last 14 years and are not power hungry beasts, I will never be convinced that using an inverter to run a fridge and freezer is a sensible use of power, my PV array is running mine and also holding the domestic bank at 14.4v.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Can't comment on the current Waeco models but can probably confirm the brand to be reliable and long lasting- We have one that looks ancient, but it works brilliantly. Its 240v / 12v, switching through a mobitronic unit. The only issue was someone had wired it with something resembling speaker wire, we rewired witha thicker cable and it works really well

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Waeco CRX 50 from Ely Boat Chandlers £515 delivered. Arrived Wednesday, gave it 24 hours to settle in an upright position as you never know what happens to things in a couriers hands, fitted yesterday, and froze a half filled fizzy vimto bottle after a few hours. Not sure whether it looks OK without the frame, or whether I should blow another £25 to neaten it up completely.

The fridge part seems to be about 4C on the 3rd highest of 4 settings, according to my CO sensor which has a temp display aswell smile.png )

4C is probably the upper end of what is recommended, but it's way better than what I had before smile.png

Edited by Richard10002

Funny when I was a kid we kept things in a pantry with a concrete shelf and gauze over the window and never died of food poisoning.

I can understand the commercial requirement, bit like a PSV licence holder, still drives on the same roads as the rest or us idiots.or the commercial licence for a narrowboat carrying more than 12, its still the same boat in the same lock on the same canal.

Some time ago there was thread here explaining how to convert a small table top 230V freezer (much better insulation than fridge) to run as a fridge and use the inverter on demand (only comes on when fridge wants it). I don't need a large fridge so I followed the advice. Bought 2nd hand newish freezer (£30) and I find that if I don't go into it too often it holds temp for just under 1hr and when the inverter does cut in it pulls about 4 amps for about 5 mins.

That'll do for me.

Midland Chandlers will be doing a deal on the same weekend as Crick boat show with I think 15% off

That would have made them £35 cheaper than my delivered price for a Waeco CRX 50, unless they charge for delivery - ETA which they don't on orders over £251.

Edited by Richard10002