What sort of fish is this?

Featured Posts

Im with you W+T, jack was universal for a small pike. Maybe its a local variation?

we northern folk know the real fish unlike the southern folk after cross bread pike/perch cross bread thngs ;)

we northern folk know the real fish unlike the southern folk after cross bread pike/perch cross bread thngs wink.png

The pike-perch, correct name zander, is a species of its own, not a cross breed.

And its an invading non-native species from America AIUI, like the signal crayfish.

The pike-perch, correct name zander, is a species of its own, not a cross breed.

And its an invading non-native species from America AIUI, like the signal crayfish.

yer i know Mke, just tweeked your line ;)

It's a pike, small ones offen have stripes that develop into spotted markings as they grow. Jack is a colloquial description, generally referring to a small pike - what denotes small depends on who's describing it. At certain times and places all pike have been referred to as "jacks". All large pike are female.

British canals aren't generally known for prodigious pike, which tend to come from stocked trout waters, or large lakes, although they've certainly been known to top 25 lbs in a cut. Official biggest British pike is 47 lbs, although larger ones have certainly been caught, and a few years ago a modest Oxfordshire river bank had a fox-eaten example whose skull was larger than any yet caught. European lakes hold them to 75 lb+, and the chances of 50 lb+ UK pike is high, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

dont push your luck kida lol, you will get a warning lol.

I have a MONSTER stuffed pike in a glass case in my house.

Guess what it's name is called...

:D

(Clue: Coasty thinks 'tis an EXCELLENT name...)

• 3 weeks later...

Its a small pike.

Don't tell them Pike!

8218A519-1464-467D-8BB0-57B724DC0036_zps

Saw this big handsome beastie swimming around my boat t'other day. Looks like a Koi.

Also if a young male Pike is a Jack, then is a young female a Jill?

I breed Koi Carp and that looks a very old fella.

Very very beautiful fish and highly intelligent.

Edited by Greylady2

• 4 weeks later...

Please excuse the terrible picture, I took it through a window.

Does anyone know what sort of fish this is? It was in a particularly weedy, still area of the canal without a lot of traffic or flow. The fish was about 6" long, thin, and striped. I have never seen one like it before and can't match it to anything I can see on the CRT site's section on fish in the canals. I wonder if it is a juvenile of something common, and that is why I can't identify it?

Anyone know?

That's Junior and here is mummy - John Watsons pike off the Broads.

25012_zpsvqzmxxix.jpg

Edited by mark99

That's Junior and here is mummy - John Watsons pike off the Broads.

25012_zpsvqzmxxix.jpg

That is a stonker, i sooo cant wait to get my rod out again, not wet a line for a while now. Winderemere here i come :)

WTH! please tell me that monster of the deep is a Photoshop creation!

No it's not. It's genuine. Some of the Broadland Pike (esp on the Thurne system) have very large heads. Watson was returning the pike and has got his left fingers in the gill which opens the pikes jaws and lifted gently the head up for a quick kiss.

This one was off Horsey Mere where bigger have been caught (but not much bigger).

Edited by mark99

That is a stonker, i sooo cant wait to get my rod out again, not wet a line for a while now. Winderemere here i come smile.png

Windermere has produced very large Pike in the past. They used to net the place for scientific tests and had them up to 35lb.

Edited by mark99

No it's not. It's genuine. Some of the Broadland Pike (esp on the Thurne system) have very large heads. Watson was returning the pike and has got his left fingers in the gill which opens the pikes jaws and lifted gently the head up for a quick kiss.

This one was off Horsey Mere where bigger have been caught (but not much bigger).

Another good reason not to learn how to swim. What would be the point after meeting one of those monsters of the deep :(

Bad enough there are monster lobsters and fish that swim up your bits. Make you wonder WTH nature was thinking of creating all of this then adding spiders into the mix