Four Counties Ring from Great Haywood

Eternal422

Featured Posts

name="cuthound" post="1857267" timestamp="1469796206"]Oh dear, you are on the slippery slope now!

After a couple of hires, to establish that you really do want to boat every year, I suggest you look at shared ownership. It is much cheaper than regular hiring.

After that you will be ready to buy your own boat, so look back here for help in choosing, recommending surveyors etc.

You're right! Two one-week holidays this year and already planning next year! And it all started with a day boat hire last August, then that led to an RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman's course in October (great fun and we learned so much from those two days!) and a week in April around our local canals : Worcs & Birmingham, Stratford, Grand Union and BCN, then July for the Four Counties Ring!

I admit that I have started looking at shares, just not totally sure whether I would like being tied to a particular week each year, or allocated weeks each year. But, as you say, it would most likely be cheaper than hiring. We also like holidays abroad and would still want to travel as well as having the boating holidays here. But I guess it's a balance and I'm sure I'll keep looking around for now. Must go to one of the boat shares boat shows to see if I can find it it more by talking with syndicate members.

You're right! Two one-week holidays this year and already planning next year! And it all started with a day boat hire last August, then that led to an RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman's course in October (great fun and we learned so much from those two days!) and a week in April around our local canals : Worcs & Birmingham, Stratford, Grand Union and BCN, then July for the Four Counties Ring!

I admit that I have started looking at shares, just not totally sure whether I would like being tied to a particular week each year, or allocated weeks each year. But, as you say, it would most likely be cheaper than hiring. We also like holidays abroad and would still want to travel as well as having the boating holidays here. But I guess it's a balance and I'm sure I'll keep looking around for now. Must go to one of the boat shares boat shows to see if I can find it it more by talking with syndicate members.

If you choose a share in an ex-Ownerships boat that is still using the Ownerships contract (most I believe still are), then you can pay 25% extra on the running costs and choose "school holidays". This is called a "special share". Since schools no longer have to stick to set holiday periods, it means you get to choose when you want to go, subject to agreement with the other "special share" holders (max 3 on any 12 share boat).